Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How did you approach your PCP about WLS in Mexico?

Hi All,

I have a low BMI and no co-morbitities and so will be a self-pay. Originally I went to a local US bariatric surgeon for a consult (even put a deposit down with them) but have eventually decided on going to Mexico because of the $9000 price difference.

I recently moved to a new state and have a new PCP, a very nice lady, but I've only met her once. I don't know how to approach this subject with her. I am a low BMI and tall....so with clothes on I seem to carry the extra weight very well even though I have 60 lbs to loose to be in a normal BMI range.

Of course I am having all of the fears and second thoughts about this surgery in general but I think the thing that scares me the most is if I have complications after returning home. I have learned that my PCP will be the Dr. to whom I will go to for blood work and if complications arise so she can refer me to hospital for whatever the complication may be.

I am afraid that she is going to #1 laugh me out of her office for wanting the surgery, and #2 make me feel stupid for my decision to go to Mexico.

How did you all talk to your PCP, in particular if you were a low BMI'er??

How did your doctor react to your desire to have this major surgery done in Mexico??

Thanks everyone. This is my last mental hurdle to committing and scheduling an appointment for the sleeve surgery.

I didn't....

I'm going to be speaking with my PCP and Dietician in the next few weeks. I suggest being very matter if fact about it and let them know what you need and expect from them in their support of you. WLS is very common now, I wouldn't have apprehension about it :)

I think a lot more PCPs are accepting of it now then you might think. When I had surgery I didnt have a PCP but my husband was telling his Dr about my surgery and he was all for it. I just got a PCP last month and his only question was why Mexico and then how much was the price difference.

Ha...I can so relate, although my situation was different since I'm not low BMI. I didn't have to consult with my PCP, so I didn't. Mine is also a pretty new doc for me. Imagine my surprise when I got a call from her office after I had been released from the hospital asking how I was doing and asking me to come in for a post op checkin. I went reluctantly since I felt embarrassed I hadn't talked to her about it. To my surprise, and relief, she was totally supportive and told me one of her good friends had just had a sleeve done...in Mexico! So, yes, this is much more mainstream now. I agree, go with confidence and knowledge. If she isn't good with it, maybe she isn't the PCP for you.

Thanks for your replies!

For those who planned on NOT telling your PCP...what were your plans in the case of complications?

Like, what if I am unable to get enough Water in and become dehydrated?

Or, there are symptoms of a leak?

Or, reflux is such a problem that Rx meds are needed?

Like I said...this is (one of my) last mental hurdles to cross before being 100% ready to schedule my surgery. I feel like I need a strong aftercare plan in the case of complications and I don't see a way around bringing my PCP on board with this.

I just told my PCP that I was having the surgery. I brought back the films from my leak test for him to see and that was it.

I sort of eased my PCP into the idea. She was totally down with wls, so then I presented her my options: two US surgeons and one MX surgeon. She said, "all things the same, go to Mexico!" She said that she personally knows of multiple surgeons moving to Mexico to practice because of all the new Obamacare regulations." Additionally she said she'd follow my care post surgery. It was such a relief!

Thanks SoCalMomOfFour!

I think that presenting my PCP with two US doc's and costs and a Mexico doc and their prices..along with stats of Medical Tourism sounds like the best idea.

I see that you are the same height and have the same goal weight as I do. Would you mind telling me your starting BMI and how the weight loss has gone for you so far?

Thanks so much!

I see that you are the same height and have the same goal weight as I do. Would you mind telling me your starting BMI and how the weight loss has gone for you so far?

Thanks so much!

I have yet to have my surgery! I'm tentatively planning for April 11th at OCC. Recently I couldn't stop gaining weight, like a crossed some imaginary line of no return! I think vsg is my Hail Mary play. I'm 37yrs and my BMI is in the high 40s. Sigh.

Thanks so much!

I have yet to have my surgery! I'm tentatively planning for April 11th at OCC. Recently I couldn't stop gaining weight, like a crossed some imaginary line of no return! I think vsg is my Hail Mary play. I'm 37yrs and my BMI is in the high 40s. Sigh.

Oh my gosh...me too! OCC either during my children's spring break OR their summer break from school. I am 36 yrs and my BMI is 35. It seems like as soon as I made the decision to move forward with the surgery (several months ago, although some days I still feel on-the-fence) I started having what they refer to as food Funerals. It's like I am saying goodbye to all of the food that is slowly killing me. Makes no sense because I know I will eventually be able to eat the same food just in much smaller healthier portions. I think it is all about my sick brain giving myself permission to eat like a cow.

Stay in touch on the forum, I would love to follow your progress. Good Luck in your journey!

Oh my gosh...me too! OCC either during my children's spring break OR their summer break from school. I am 36 yrs and my BMI is 35. It seems like as soon as I made the decision to move forward with the surgery (several months ago, although some days I still feel on-the-fence) I started having what they refer to as food Funerals. It's like I am saying goodbye to all of the food that is slowly killing me. Makes no sense because I know I will eventually be able to eat the same food just in much smaller healthier portions. I think it is all about my sick brain giving myself permission to eat like a cow.

Stay in touch on the forum, I would love to follow your progress. Good Luck in your journey!

I started an instagram account if you have that, search @runningmcfatty

I am not a low BMI, but my PCP was on board with my choice to go to Mexico. He enjoyed my sharing my research of the Dr.s on my short list and was most happy that I was doing it for my health. He like myself wasn't too happy that my insurance would not cover it.