Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How was your 2013 and what do you look forward to in 2014?

As we approach 2014 I thought what a great idea it would be to reflect on where we've been and what we've done and where do we want to go from here.

2011 was the darkest times for me. I could hardly stand up for 10 minutes at a time and walking the grocery store was a real chore. My Wife ended up doing the shopping and I sat in the car. Helping her into the house with the groceries was another chore where I had to sit and rest and catch my breath. I HAD to do something. I was convinced I was heading down a path which led to a grave. I was so fortunate that I had no health issues aside from being morbidly obese.

For such a long time it was all about the numbers on the scale and at times my lack of patience derailed my enjoyment of the actual journey and let me just say what an amazing journey this has been so far. There is nothing I would change except perhaps doing it sooner.

This past year:

• I have lost 127lbs in 2013
  • I am 1lb...Yes 1 from a goal I set back in October 2011
  • I participated in a 5K for Breast Cancer Awareness
  • I have dropped so many pants sizes this year that I can’t remember how many
  • Attended several concerts and never once got concerned about seating or walking
  • Attended my first NFL game
  • Finally saw NYC at Christmas time and walked 10+ miles to boot
  • Dressed up in Tux for a Wedding this past summer in the scorching 100 degree heat and loved it
  • Arthritis in my knees have not flared up in well over year
  • I went from being stared at like a circus attraction to hardly being noticed at times
  • I can walk for miles and climb many steps without getting winded
  • I feel like I have the energy of a teenager at times
  • I have become a better husband/friend to the love of my life. Not only did she support me even in the darkest times but she also motivated me in wanting to be a better man for her. She inspired me to reach within and find the trapped man inside.

• I would like to see 199 on the scale but either way I am and will be happy!!
  • Putting together a team for Relay for Life event in August
  • I am going to do for Kelli what she did for me and that is support her along her journey and be her rock!

Hope you all have a safe and happy holidays....

Great story Jim. Congrats and well wishes on yours and your wife's continued success.

2013 was the year that I changed my life.... I was overweight, unhealthy and unhappy... I was slowly eating myself to death.. I made the decision to get the lapband and had my surgery last January... This year has been one of the best I've had in a long time.. My diabetes is under control.. no medication.no high cholesterol or high blood pressure.. arthritis in my knees is so much better.. I can walk easily through stores and parking lots... I am thankful for my Surgeon and his team who have helped me along the way.. I have another 15 lbs or so to lose to reach my goal and I am confident I will do it soon.. I am not miserable thinking about how much weight I will gain through the Holidays.. I am more active with my grandkids and that is priceless..

I hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas and a healthier New Year...

Great thread, thank you! And let me know about the Relay for Life as maybe, just maybe that could be a goal for me, too (I am in NH too).

2013 - after twenty+ years of unsuccessful dieting and putting myself through a lot of misery, I decided to get a Lapband and grab hold of my health at age 52. Band installed on 11/5. This has been an act of choosing myself and my health above everything else.

2014 - in the coming year I look forward to letting go of the weight I've been carrying for such a long time. I started at 248 and think 148 may be the right weight for me, so I am looking to lose a total of 100 pounds or so. I want to be strong and flexible. I have arthritis and I am hoping to change my inflammation profile. I can't wait to get off my BP medication and I am hoping perhaps to be able to ditch the sleep machine. What a great thing that would be!

We live very near a mountain. I want to climb it -- it's been quite a while. I want to love exercising. Right now I do it, I tolerate it, but I want to look forward to it and embrace exercise as a lifestyle. I used to go to a lot of dance classes and I'd like to do that again, as well as yoga. I used to have fu clothes and I'm really looking forward to being able to find clothes I like to wear -- ones that are a reasonable size and fit me well. I look forward to 12 long jeans, maybe even 10 depending on how sizes run these days. I am a good cook and I look forward to continuing to prepare food and even enjoy some myself, only in very small amounts at appropriate intervals. I look forward to not going back for more.

I know there are big changes ahead of me and I want to meet them with courage and joy. I don't want to be afraid of being thin. I don't want to hide anymore. I want to have fun and enjoy being out in the world. I wNt to make a difference.

Happy New Year all -- here's to choosing our health!

What a great idea Jim. Thank you for sharing. Such an inspiration! Congratulations!

2013 has been a bit of an emotional roller coaster. I started in Oct 12 going thru the 7 month preapproval process for my insurance company. Finally turned in my paperwork in April and 2 days later found out this was an exclusion to my policy - lap band was not covered. I was devastated to say the least. It affected my work, my life! I had a secondary insurance thru my husband and assumed they would not cover and did not consider until my neighbor mentioned it in August. Come to find out, they do cover lapband!

Sept 19, 2013 - Had the surgery

Dec 19th - weigh in at Dr - have lost 47 lbs :)

Dec 21st - have lost 27 1/2 inches total :)

-I walk 30 mins every morning with a co-worker. Walk 3 1/2 - 4 miles on Sat and Sun at the lake and more if I get off work early enough while daylight (quick pace) and any other chance I get.

-Feel sooo much better. Osteoarthritis in knees has really improved

- Completed a 5k walk in an hour

2014 Goals

-To be able to get off my BP, Cholestorol, sleep Apnea machine (top of list)

-Start running

-Enter a 5 k run and finish

-Fit in a shirt my daughter got me a few years back. Have it hanging on the back of our bedroom door :)

-Reach goal weight by fall (62 lbs) Won't be an upset if I don't because I know I will get there :)

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone!

2013 has been good to me in a lot of ways. New job. lowest weight in 10 years. 2014 is going to be twice as good.

January 1, 2013:

morbidly obese

severe osteo-arthritis both knees

severe osteo-necrosis both hips

hypertension

severe mobility issues

December 24th, 2013:

clinically overweight...but I know I look totally normal to the average person

dropped six clothing sizes

improved symptoms both knees

hip replacments bi-laterally...no hip pain

BP normal

mobility vastly improved.

2014:

improve my balance, strength, and endurance

swim and bike regularly at the Y

get off the ship this time when we go on our cruise this summer and walk on the beach, swim in the ocean, and anything else the family wants to do.

..and most important...stay healthy this year...and no more surgeries.

2013 was one of the best ever!

Probably most importantly, I finally realized how to allow my band work, for ME. Got it adjusted properly towards the end of 2012 and couldn't be happier with what IT does now. But thats not the only reason for such a great year....

I reached the 100 lb loss club back in March.

I rode my first 100 mile bike ride in June.

Started running....RUNNING!!!!!!!!! in July.

Did my first organized 5K run in Sept. 7th.

Did my first sprint level Triathalon on Oct 23rd.

Completed my first 10 mile run on Nov 8th..

Logged over 3000 miles on the bike this year.

Tracked over 158,000 calories burned on my Garmin since I got it in March.

SEVERAL of you will hopefully smile when you read that.....because there are several of you who have encourage/motivated me to accomplish these. From the info on the HRM, to the cycling tips, to the running inspiration, to the Tri suggestions....ALL from friends on here. How can I ever thank you all enough! Its been a great year...and I wish everyone a fantastic 2014!

On my list of to do's for 2014.

Complete my first Half marathon in on March 23rd.

Spend a week riding from Chicago to St. Louis...just because.

Spend a week riding with the "Ride 2 Recovery" organization.

Complete my first Olympic level Triathalon.

Continue to come here and do what I can to help others, because I've been so blessed by the support I have received here.

Enjoy this new life to the fullest!!

I have no doubt you will accomplish all of your goals and then some! :)

2013 was one of the best ever!

Probably most importantly, I finally realized how to allow my band work, for ME. Got it adjusted properly towards the end of 2012 and couldn't be happier with what IT does now. But thats not the only reason for such a great year....

I reached the 100 lb loss club back in March.

I rode my first 100 mile bike ride in June.

Started running....RUNNING!!!!!!!!! in July.

Did my first organized 5K run in Sept. 7th.

Did my first sprint level Triathalon on Oct 23rd.

Completed my first 10 mile run on Nov 8th..

Logged over 3000 miles on the bike this year.

Tracked over 158,000 calories burned on my Garmin since I got it in March.

SEVERAL of you will hopefully smile when you read that.....because there are several of you who have encourage/motivated me to accomplish these. From the info on the HRM, to the cycling tips, to the running inspiration, to the Tri suggestions....ALL from friends on here. How can I ever thank you all enough! Its been a great year...and I wish everyone a fantastic 2014!

On my list of to do's for 2014.

Complete my first Half marathon in on March 23rd.

Spend a week riding from Chicago to St. Louis...just because.

Spend a week riding with the "Ride 2 Recovery" organization.

Complete my first Olympic level Triathalon.

Continue to come here and do what I can to help others, because I've been so blessed by the support I have received here.

Enjoy this new life to the fullest!!

congratulations to everyone for sharing 2013 wins and hard work! so inspiring!

I went to my first surgical consult in Jan 2013, was subsequently pretty sick with something totally not related to weight, and ultimately approved by my insurance in June - with my surgery on 7/11/13. I made a little photo collage of my progress these last 7 months :)

seeing the scale go down is awesome - but the thing i'm happiest about is finally becoming a gym rat. I go anywhere from 5-7 times/week and have reached a place where my body craves it versus wanting to just hide under the covers and stay in bed. my joints don't ache (tho sometimes my muscles do :) and i know i've made the type of change i need to in my life... now to keep it going for the rest of my life!

post-142880-0-39275800-1389394119_thumb.jpg

2013 was a great year.........and i hope 2014 is to be just as good

having mobility, family and friends who love and support me (and a GREAT dr to guide me)

not to mention a job i LOVE doing.......it cant get any better.....only if UNC wills the championship... LOL

Happy New Year to you all....I wish you health

Well my 2013 was not as impressive as yours Jim but I am happy that in June I was able to park and walk several blocks for a conference without getting tired. As you all know, I have osteoarthritis in over 50% of my body and I walked the whole distance from the parking lot to the convention center. Again several blocks plus walking all over the Convention Center itself which is pretty huge. That was in June. Then the very next month, I reached my goal after two and half years from having my surgery. Not sure if all that walking had anything to do with it. Actually I just realized that as I'm typing. Hmmmm!!!!! I dropped well not sure how many clothing sizes. All I know is, it was a blessing and I'm grateful. As for 2014, I just hope to maintain until whenever. I don't really do resolutions I just take each day as they come.

All so inspiring.. Thank you all so much