Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long after suegery will it take to care for yourself?

I'm not sure when my surgery will be but I know it's approaching very soon. I'm trying to get everything in order now. Being that I live alone I want to know how long will I need the help of others before I can get around on my own?

For me, it was the next day. No problem being on my own.

I was back in action immediately. Slow. But up and at 'em.

My only issue was I struggled getting in and out of bed for the first few days and slept propped up at night - was helped into bed by my son. But didn't really need any help during the day. Just made sure you have supplies in for the first week and take it easy. Good luck!

You will not need help. You will be okay. I think we are expecting the worst but honestly I took 1 dose of pain med at home. I rested a couple days then went shopping. I am 67. I have shopped ever since, feeling great, and not going through any fast food drive throughs either!!! The surgery date will be here before you know it. Busy yourself getting your Vitamins, getting your shakes and Soups stocked, the broth, etc. Merry Christmas!

I live alone and was able to get around and take care of myslef from the moment I got home. The only help I needed was getting my meds picked up - I wasn't cleared for driving. Other than that, I had everything I needed at home - Crystal Light, sugar free popsicles, cream of mushroom Soup, the interent and my TV. :-)

Hi shay,

I guess it really depends on what kind of a person you are.. I've seen people here like the ladies and gentleman above (and me) that need no help whatsoever getting in and out of bed can be a pain (literally) so as indigo said above staying propped up helps..

I am very independent and didn't want any help so I sent my husband back to work the day I got home..

Didn't need him to sit around the hospital either. I like my pain by myself :D

Now I've seen some people that like the care and company. Some even need help with showers and going to the bathroom...

And that's ok too if you like that sort of thing.

But it's very doable on your own unless you have unforeseen complications.

Of course if you are taking pain meds you can't drive for the duration so take that into consideration.

Make sure you have everything you might possibly need for at least several days. Including lots, and I mean lots of varieties of flavored waters, Water flavoring drops, teas etc..

And whatever is on your approved list :)

Can't drive while you're on Meds and that's really only thing you'll need help with. You will just need a comfy recliner to sleep in and lots of Water and Liquid Protein choices.

I was in the hospital for five nights and used a walker first day home, and my husband took a week off to take care of me. He helped me shower and dress and remember my pills, etc.

I took care of myself

I had surgery on Wed, was released on Fri. My husband had to go back to work on Mon. I knew I could call my mother if I needed anything. (She lives close).. My biggest thing was getting up to get my teenager out the door to school. I took the pain meds for about 10 days, didn't think I would need them... But I did. If I missed a dose, I was miserable - I just decided to take the meds and rest. I had my hubby sit on the toilet while I showered - just in case... I didn't need help, but I was light headed and felt better knowing he was there... The first few showers. I didn't drive til after the first 10 days and I had to take my daughter to get her license and waited over an hour... I was uncomfortable, not really in pain, just uncomfortable. I didn't leave the house for another week. I enjoyed when my hubby was home - he would wait on me. I was just fine when he was gone.

Thanks Everyone! I had my gallbladder removed last year and need help only when it came down to lifting something do to my stitches. I'm hoping its similar to that.

I had my surgery on an outpatient basis - I was out of the hospital by noon the day of surgery.

I needed help that day and the next day (so if I had a hospital stay, I would probably be OK on my own on the day they would have released me). It was nice to have someone there just to assist - I tried to be self sufficient and not rely on help. I felt like I needed to move (it helped with the gas pains), so I didn't rely on anyone to get my drinks for me, I got up and got my own.

I traveled to Las Vegas for my surgery, so we stayed in our timeshare - I wanted to be on the safe side, so we decided to stay down there for a week after surgery. That was total overkill. We could have flown on day 4 or 5 easily.

My biggest issue was fatigue - I needed a nap every day for the first couple of weeks.