Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I didn't see an option to select "Revision" as a type of surgery and it would be nice to be able to properly categorize my situation. As the RNY fails more and more of us, there are people looking into revision that need good information about their options.

I truly feel that the DS is the best option for people for whom, despite their very best (and even well-documented) efforts, the RNY failed. Unfortunately, an RNY to DS surgery is one of the most complicated surgeries (if not the most) to perform,and tremendous due diligence must be performed by the patient. The recovery can be tough, so being able to find good support is critical.

DSFacts.com is a good, unbiased source of information. There is hope if the RNY or other type of weight loss surgery do not work for you or there are complications.

We don't look at revision as a "type" of surgery. You "revise" from one surgery to another surgery. We plan on adding a feature in the near future which will allow you to list all your WLS surgeries on your profile. In the interim, members should select the latest surgery type they revised to.

It would be good to start looking at it as a type of surgery Alex Brecher. The biggest issue with a RNY to DS revision is that it IS the most complicated of all revisions and is only done by a handful of surgeons in the US. You can't go to just any revision surgeon. Just because a surgeon says that they do revisions, does not automatically mean that they can do THIS surgery. It is VERY IMPORTANT for individuals thinking about this revision to get an experienced surgeon. And, like I said, there are only a handful...

Dr. Keshishian, located in California

Dr. Rabkin, located in California

Dr. Simper, located in Utah

Dr. Elariny, located in Virginia

Dr. Roslin, located in New York

Dr. Buchwald, located in Minnesota

I agree that revising from one surgery to another can be quite difficult. You really need a master surgeon when dealing with a revision to DS. Once the surgeon completes the revision, you're left with a DS. Technically your first surgery was an RNY and you revised to a DS. Please correct me if I'm not understanding you.

I'm familiar with all the surgeons on your list. They're the best of the best when it comes to DS.

VSG to DS is not correctly listed as a revision, but a completion of a dual procedure. Many had the first surgery (3 or 4 possibilities) and then had the DS, later, to complete the surgical procedure.

Many, including myself, hoped that the sleeve, alone, would be sufficient. I followed the VSG for three years, and found that maintenance and avoiding re-gain, was not metabolically possible. While I will be what is considered, a "lightweight," I have allowed myself to eat regularly to have some rest for my metabolism and to weaken the starvation re-action, a theoretical construct, that has some believers and some detractors.

Completion with the DS will provide the malabsorption necessary to correct the insufficiency of the Sleeve alone, according to my Drs. Those who chose the "Virgin DS," having both parts at the same time, are also finding success in maintenance. The stats are definitely in the DS favor.

I had RNY back in 2001. I was a hospital employee and I just jumped on the bandwagon. It was the first year that the hospital had this program and everyone was dropping weight. I went from 360 to 220 in two years. I followed the diet and exercised and did everythng that I could do, but my weight loss stopped. I hired a professional trainer and a nutritionalist, but if I had problems losing weight in the past, how was it going to work now? I maintained my weight loss until 2004 when my father dies, 13 months later my brother died suddenly, walked out of a job in 2006 and was layed off in 2007. I gained 60 pounds from 2004 - 2007. So here I am now looking at revisional surgery to see if I can accomplish my original goals.

I live in NJ - so I had an appointment with Dr. Greenbaum with Virtual Health. He does offer revisional surgery RNY to DS. But he seems to push the distal RNY. I need to do more research to find out what is my best option and move forward with this. I wish the DS surgery was offered back in 2001 because I feel that is the surgery I should have had from the beginning.

Cindy Cooney....don't go with the distal...it is the worst of both worlds. Stick to your guns. He is not on the rny to ds revision surgeon list for this very reason. He used to be fine doing rny to ds revisions but now seems to only be pushing the distal. You will most likely have to travel. Most who get a rny to ds revision do because there are so few that are experienced enough to do it. Good luck on your journey!

Unfortunately my insurance in NJ Direct and I am a teacher in NJ and a state employee. I am limited with my selections. I was grateful that the state at least had one surgeon. My husband has been unemployed on and off and I carry insurance for him. So I am gathering up my operative reports and my recent EGD and will let him evaluate it. I mentioned to him that I used to work at Morristown Memorial Hospital where I had the original surgery and he takes revisions from that hospital. So my guess is that he does the distal on "as needed basis", evaluating each case as it comes. He only does open and there is a preop liquid diet for 2 weeks so I am aware that he wants to shrink the liver and open makes will be easier for him to access organs.

DS is major surgery and you need to be committed to a lifetime of Vitamins. Mentally I am just trying to absorb the information that he provided. I have 130 pounds to lose and I feel that DS would get me to my goal weight.

Research and prepare yourself with all the reasons that the DS is the best option for you. I am sure that if you come prepared and he realizes that you have researched and know what living with the DS entails, he will be willing to do the DS.

I have already researched and I know this is the best option for me right now with my history of weight loss. I totally agree with you. I had an BMI >50 back in 2001 and DS would have been a better surgery. But it was offered at my hospital. Now I just want to make everything right and get it done over the summer.

I have completed all the preoperative tests and the worst was the sleep test. If given the choice I would rather have a colonoscopy. OMG and to find out I do not have sleep apnea.

Well met with the surgeon - he will be doing the DS because of the best choice for me. I stressed the importance of the benefits and I would have chosen this surgery back in 2001 should I have been given the choice. Now we are in the insurance approval and I hope everything goes well.

I am hoping to have surgery by late June.

I have a surgery date - June 30th. My last day of teaching will be the 27th. I will definely be having a DS. That was confirmed with Dr. Greenbaum. It is by far the best option for long term weight loss. I will be looking to starting off the school year a little less smaller.

I realize that DS is a major and complicated surgery and there are few surgeons to be trusted with it...but weren't all surgeons new at one point? I had RNY in 2007 and now waiting insurance approval for revision to DS with Dr. Siddiqui out of Dayton Ohio, Miami Valley Hospital. I don't have the option of going to another state to get one of the "chosen" surgeons, I just don't but what I do have is the opportunity to work with a professional who has performed this surgery many times. I am at a point where I am taking 19 pills a day because of the many comorbidities. With my first surgery, I was borderline high blood pressure with Migraines and asthma, that was it but now, with a regain of 100 out of the 140 lbs. I lost, I'm seeing this as my only option. I plan on following ALL of the rules to the "T" and making this a success! All I can do is pray for the best as I would with any surgeon. I mean the handful that are the so called masters of this surgery, can't be expected to be the only ones to perform it, others have had to be trained...right?!?!?!