Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm going home from the hospital today. I get a pain every time I sip on my Water. I'm scared to get dehydrated. The nurse told me just to force it. Did any of you have this problem any suggestions? Id really appreciate it. Thank you.

If you are drinking cold Water, try warm. Try chicken broth if Water doesn't work. Add flavor drops to the water. Drink G2. It is very important to be hydrated at this time, or you could end up with dehydration. If you are on full liquids, try no sugar added hot cocoa, skim or 1% milk, Decaf tea or coffee.

Good luck.

If you are drinking cold Water, try warm. Try chicken broth if water doesn't work. Add flavor drops to the water. Drink G2. It is very important to be hydrated at this time, or you could end up with dehydration. If you are on full liquids, try no sugar added hot cocoa, skim or 1% milk, Decaf tea or coffee. Good luck.

I will definitely try that.

I'm going home from the hospital today. I get a pain every time I sip on my Water. I'm scared to get dehydrated. The nurse told me just to force it. Did any of you have this problem any suggestions? Id really appreciate it. Thank you.

I was the same when I was discharged. It was a HUGE struggle for the first week. I found room temp the best and just tiny tiny sips. Couldn't stand anything sweet. Set a timer for every 15 mins and take a tiny sip. It does get better! Three weeks today and I can drink (not gulp) pretty much normally.

This too shall pass!

I was the same when I was discharged. It was a HUGE struggle for the first week. I found room temp the best and just tiny tiny sips. Couldn't stand anything sweet. Set a timer for every 15 mins and take a tiny sip. It does get better! Three weeks today and I can drink (not gulp) pretty much normally. This too shall pass!

Awesome that's what I have been doing, thank you. Still waiting in the doctor to discharge me.

I had lots of chest pain (I think it was air/gas from the surgery). I would burp and hiccup even with the smallest sip of Water. It took me a few days, but now that I am at 5 days post surgery, I am able to drink without any pain (still small amounts), so now I just need to be able to remember to keep drinking to get enough ounces in all day. I was worried about focusing on enough Protein, but I've read that getting the 64oz or more liquids is initially more important if you have to choose one, so now I am going to make sure I get all of the liquid in, even if a lot of it is just water, and once I know I will make the daily ounces, then I will make sure to have some Isopure or GNC lean shake in order to add the protein part of things. Not saying that is the best way to do it, but that's what I'm doing. When I focused on just Protein Drinks, I wasn't getting enough liquids, I guess since it fills you up more.

I had lots of chest pain (I think it was air/gas from the surgery). I would burp and hiccup even with the smallest sip of Water. It took me a few days, but now that I am at 5 days post surgery, I am able to drink without any pain (still small amounts), so now I just need to be able to remember to keep drinking to get enough ounces in all day. I was worried about focusing on enough Protein, but I've read that getting the 64oz or more liquids is initially more important if you have to choose one, so now I am going to make sure I get all of the liquid in, even if a lot of it is just water, and once I know I will make the daily ounces, then I will make sure to have some Isopure or GNC lean shake in order to add the protein part of things. Not saying that is the best way to do it, but that's what I'm doing. When I focused on just protein drinks, I wasn't getting enough liquids, I guess since it fills you up more.

When I drink water I feel something that gets tight in my stomach then it goes away. I also get the hiccups all of sudden and I randomly just burp. On my lunch tray the brought me Decaf tea I took a sip of that and it did the same thing. I think I'm just gonna have to stick it out into my stomach gets used to it because I definitely don't want to end up dehydrated. I don't think I'm ready to start on protein today (it's my third day) I'm going to ask the doctor if u could start my protein tomorrow.

While I was in the hospital I wasn't too worried about being de-hydrated due to being on IV. By the way, the IV can be up to 2.2lbs (based on the calculations I did of the cc that was in mine) and I think they gave me about 4 bags while I was there overnight, so that is almost 9lbs of liquid injected into my body. So if you are one of those people who get home and weigh more than you did before leaving for the surgery, don't worry, you're just pumped full of liquids that you will quickly burn off.

I wouldn't feel too bad if you can't drink much the first few days, since I couldn't either but I always felt like I had energy, so I wasn't too worried. Now that I can drink more often and without pain, I see myself drinking a lot more. I just finished a 16.9 oz bottled Water in about 2 hours, so now I'm really happy about that.

Edited by Ken.

Also, I bought 3 boxes of Gas X strips. The kind that dissolve on your tongue. I've only used 1 box so far, but when I first got home I was taking 2 strips at a time (that's what my nurse gave me in the hospital) to help with the gas pain in my chest. I have gotten to where I only take 2 once a day, rather than every so many hours, but I think it does help clear up the chest pain.

Also, I bought 3 boxes of Gas X strips. The kind that dissolve on your tongue. I've only used 1 box so far, but when I first got home I was taking 2 strips at a time (that's what my nurse gave me in the hospital) to help with the gas pain in my chest. I have gotten to where I only take 2 once a day, rather than every so many hours, but I think it does help clear up the chest pain.

Yea I'm not too worried because at the hospital there keeping me hydrated I'm just going to try my best when I get home. I'm going to buy some gas x strips.