Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just looked at the papers my surgeon gave me and after the 2 days of Clear liquids they have coffee listed. So its probably just doctor preferences.

Maybe it's just the caffeine. Could you have Decaf? ?????

Yes coffee can irritate the lining of the stomach, which is less than ideal while healing from surgery. I resumed drinking coffee 6 weeks post op with no problem.

The best advice I can give preop is to not quit cold turkey.....start EARLY reducing your daily intake and until you quit completely PREop, because you do NOT want to be recovering from surgery with the added fun of a caffeine withdrawal headache! O_o

why can't we have coffee after being sleeved?

#hashTag#

as "we" on the board always/should say - all docs are different

check/ask your doc or NUT - they will tell you if/when you can have coffee - maybe decaf

for me, i was allowed coffee at 2 months :)

there have been other threads discussing issues of coffee

not trying to get rid of you ;)

but go to the search area on top of your screen, and put in the word coffee

when i am out and about i enjoy going through the drive through and grabbing a refill :)

and my small NSV i never ask for a donut, and i'm ok with that :)

no profile/ticker :(

hint, hint ;)

so i can't tell what stage you are in :(

"sounds" like you are still pre-op...........or maybe very early PO???

so,,, either good luck with WLS - speedy recovery, or keep up the good work!!! :lol:

or i'll just say - continued good luck with life :)

kathy

Edited by proudgrammy

I was given Decaf coffee on my second day in the hospital. In fact, I drink a cup of decaf every morning. Caffeinated coffee is strictly off limits as caffeine stimulates appetite. I'd call your NUT, my cup of decaf coffee in the morning is the only sense of normality I have now on the post-op restricted diet.

Mine is very strict about the coffee. No coffee/tea for at least 6 months. Not even decaf! I can have herbal teas that are naturally caffeine free. The hardest part of all this for me was giving up my daily caffeine. They said it was because caffeine stimulates appetite, and it can also irritate the stomach lining, something I don't want to happen. I do miss my morning coffee.< /p>

During my 3 week post surgery meeting with my surgeon we dicussed coffee. He tolded me it was okay to have a cup of coffee with half & half. I eased into it (starting with a half of a cup). I haven't had any problems with the coffee. But check with you surgeon to be sure it is okay for you.

For some coffee can stimulate the appetite, but not me. My program does not like coffee because caffine is a stomach irritant. I cut down to all Decaf before surgery - SLOWLY. Caffine detox is headachey! But in all honesty, I started coffee again and it's the one thing that I do that does not follow on my program. NOT suggesting that anyone else break their program, just being honest here.

Coffee is the only drug I got left.

Lol, being alive and breathing stimulates mine!! :P

For some coffee can stimulate the appetite, but not me. My program does not like coffee because caffine is a stomach irritant. I cut down to all Decaf before surgery - SLOWLY. Caffine detox is headachey! But in all honesty, I started coffee again and it's the one thing that I do that does not follow on my program. NOT suggesting that anyone else break their program, just being honest here. Coffee is the only drug I got left.

coffee has caffeine which is a diuretic, even Decaf has a small amount of caffeine in it. Prob should only drink it if your getting all your fluids in ok.

Oh no noooooooooooooooo coffee, next your gonna tell me no sex!

Oh no noooooooooooooooo coffee, next your gonna tell me no sex!

I had Decaf coffee and sex today. Counted one as liquids and the other as exercise, and my sleeve is a-ok. :)