Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Those first 2 weeks... how much did you eat?

Just trying to see if how much I'm eating is the norm or not. I am 4 days post op and right now I drink 2 Protein shakes during the day and 1/4 cup of low fat yogurt. I am also able to get in about 30 ounces of Water a day as well. Averaging about 500 to 600 calories and between 50 and 60 grams of Protein.< /p>

What did your daily meal plan look like in those first 2 weeks?

That sounds about right! I'm 5 days post and my days are something like 2 glasses of Syntrax Nectar (because the thick shakes are starting to get to me), a Light & Fit greek yogurt, a few ounces of cream of mushroom Soup (no chunks) or a cup of Unjury chicken, a bunch of Water with Mio squirts and tea. I tried a little cream of wheat the other night as well just to have something substantial, it was good. I seriously can't wait to progress to "chew" foods :)

I have learned there are so many variables here because so many doctors have different plans, that you MUST stick to the guidelines of your doctor. I have also learned that everyone can eat different things and it does not affect them the same. My surgery was Nov. 18, my husband Dec. 2. I have learned we were overeating during the first month, and now we listen to our bodes to really tell us when we are hungry, and seriously we are seldom hungry but eat for the Protein when we are. Remember it is called head hunger when you are stressing about food. Get busy doing other things. Merry Christmas.

I also really liked the bariatric pudding/shakes from diet direct.com during those first few weeks, made as a pudding. I still like them as a treat. It really broke up the monotony of Protein shakes.

Two months later and the powder shakes are still making me shudder. I do Premier Protein when I want to get a quick hit though.

Edited by Fluffnomore

One thing you will find is your "wetter" foods like yogurt you'll be able to eat more. Once you progress to denser foods (once you'r doc/NUT OK it), you'll find you won't be able to eat as much. I was surprised that last night I could eat almost a 1/2 cup of (approved) chili, but can barely get down 1/4 cup of pureed chicken.

In those first couple of weeks I stayed on mostly liquids, but was approved to eat 2 tablespoons per day of sugar free pudding or Jello, cottage cheese, applesauce or scrambled eggs. I tolerated scrambled egg easily.

I am 5 days post surgery and am having such a difficult time getting in the amount of fluids I am supposed to. I am drinking about 16 onces of Water 1/4 of a carnation instant Breakfast and maybe 4 ounces of broth. Im afraidof getting dehydrated so keep pushing the water but I find it so difficult.

I'm 6 days out and feel like I'm struggling. I can't stand the Protein Shakes now! I tried a Premier chocolate shake this morning and gagged just putting it in my mouth. Pretty much living on juice and SF pudding. Agh!!!

We were told no fruit or fruit juice because of the acidity. There are sugar free Torani syrups in many flavors. Try flavoring your shakes. You also can add sugar free pudding to your shakes. Experiment!!!! Good luck!!

For those of you not tolerating the Protein shakes - specifically the Premier Protein, try thinning them out a little with some Water. The Premier Protein Shakes are very thick.

Also you might want to try the nectar products - they are lighter on your stomachs.

I got dehydrated on Day 3 - I wasn't drinking enough Water. Make sure you're pushing the water. My doc said it's not likely you will get your Protein mins and water mins in one week out, but you try, especially the water. If water isn't going down easily, you can try Vitamin Water, Propel Zero or Powerade Zero.

I'm just 2 weeks out. I was allowed pureed/soft after my post op/ 8 days after surgery. I am into a 1/2 scrambled egg, 2 ounces of broiled scrod, greek yogurts, 1/2 small container, still having a shake a day, adding whey Protein and making it with smart milk. Took some clam chowder, pureed the clams and potatoes and threw it back in the broth. It was delicious. Got sick of the chicken broth and the shakes. Working on getting my Protein in, but not happening yet. Ordered some stuff, and will hopefully meet my 70 grams a day goal then. No problem with water/clears as long as I don't gulp, and take small sips. SF popsicles are awesome. Can't really handle sweet, like the shakes, but really craving a good steak. That'll be a while! Contemplating what to have for dinner. Think I'll go for a egg.

Edited by Idlewood4

I was on all liquids until week 4 post op.

:)