Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Had my 1 month post op appt yesterday. I only lost 3 lbs. bringing me down to 226. The dr and coordinator were very disappointed. I cried on the exam table. They questioned me as to what ive been eating. i told them i am doing 1 meal a day and 1 sometimes 1 1/2 Protein shakes. I was advised to backtrack and stick with eggs, yogurt, cheese and Soup. They told me not to worry about hitting the Protein goal but concentrate on getting fluids in. The dr said my metabolism may not have caught up yet. and they want to see me back the end of january to check my progress. im so frustrated idk what to do.

I feel like such a failure. I've been stalled since the 2nd week. Ive lost 16lbs post op and 15 on the pre op. Ive read about stalls but really....come on...what the hell is going on here??? am i gonna be the one freakazoid that gives up 85% of their stomach and STILL cant lose weight? i suck...

Hope,

Hang in there. Many will appreciate that you post how your experience is (or isn't) going well at the beginning..... as they might find themselves (me included) going thru the same results. But.....there's always a but. The body will simply not sustain itself at such a high weight on such low intake. You will start to lose more. Your metabolism is just reacting to less calories in it's own way. It took a long time to put all the weight on......give your body time to adjust and it will start coming off.

So I don't know if this will help you or not but what works for me is to judge myself by my actions, not by my outcomes. Before you "feel like a failure", ask yourself if you did everything you could and should have done.

Did you eat Protein? did you drink your fluids? did you eat junk? If you answered yes to the first two and no to the last, then you did your job. Your body needs time to do it's job. Don't obsess about what you can't control.

And the fact is, we can control our actions, but I have had to accept that I do not control my weight. Some complex mechanism seems to be in charge, and it is not me.

Don't judge yourself based on stuff you don't control.

I will also say that there is some research out there to suggest that we stall for a while once we lose 10% of our body weight, and based on your ticker, that's how much you seem to have lost. Rest assured it will come off, just at it's own pace, not yours. Unfortunately :(

Having said all that, I wish I could just give you a hug because I can totally relate to the frustration and hopelessness you must be feeling. ((hugs))

Heads up girlie you got this! My weight loss has been nothing but stalls with a little bit of loss here and there..

One thing, push that Water, at least 64 oz a day. If I don't do that, I do not lose at all, plain and simple :)

I agree with Gamegirl...

Just "Do" the program and the scale will follow, no matter how long it takes!

And they might have been been disappointed at themselves. Don't you take that monkey!!!

So I don't know if this will help you or not but what works for me is to judge myself by my actions, not by my outcomes. Before you "feel like a failure", ask yourself if you did everything you could and should have done.

Did you eat Protein? did you drink your fluids? did you eat junk? If you answered yes to the first two and no to the last, then you did your job. Your body needs time to do it's job. Don't obsess about what you can't control.

And the fact is, we can control our actions, but I have had to accept that I do not control my weight. Some complex mechanism seems to be in charge, and it is not me.

Don't judge yourself based on stuff you don't control.

I will also say that there is some research out there to suggest that we stall for a while once we lose 10% of our body weight, and based on your ticker, that's how much you seem to have lost. Rest assured it will come off, just at it's own pace, not yours. Unfortunately :(

Having said all that, I wish I could just give you a hug because I can totally relate to the frustration and hopelessness you must be feeling. ((hugs))

thanks so much. I have been working the exact program that they gave me in my handbook doing Protein, whatever veggies were allowed, taking my Vitamins etc. i have not had even one crumb of junk food, and if i thought about junk i think of something i read that proudgrammy wrote when she said we still have to control what we put in our mouths. ive been controlling myself so much that people are so proud of me and say they dont know how i do it.

I'm sorry your so down, but I agree with everyone; we all go through stalls. Keep your chin up, a bottle of Water in your hand and a smile on your face. The pounds will come off, give it some time kiddo!

Sending lots of hugs too:)

Heads up girlie you got this! My weight loss has been nothing but stalls with a little bit of loss here and there..

One thing, push that Water, at least 64 oz a day. If I don't do that, I do not lose at all, plain and simple :)

thanks laura, i had no problem the first few weeks getting my water in but ever since last saturday i have been so busy that ive been struggling to get even half that amount in. def gonna have to work on this for a bit. i have been overweight my entire life and i guess im just getting impatient.

thanks laura, i had no problem the first few weeks getting my Water in but ever since last saturday i have been so busy that ive been struggling to get even half that amount in. def gonna have to work on this for a bit. i have been overweight my entire life and i guess im just getting impatient.

I know, that's been me too.. It's the damn holidays! Water for me even after a year is a full time job...

Ok I'm super busy today I'm about to go shopping (again) and I have a party at 2 let's make a promise to get our water in today!

As far as patience? At some point I just told myself to chill out. I said give it a year. And if after trying at this for a year (really trying) if you still haven't lost a good amount by then, then you can freak out, obsess and become impatient :)

thanks so much. I have been working the exact program that they gave me in my handbook doing Protein, whatever veggies were allowed, taking my Vitamins etc. i have not had even one crumb of junk food, and if i thought about junk i think of something i read that proudgrammy wrote when she said we still have to control what we put in our mouths. ive been controlling myself so much that people are so proud of me and say they dont know how i do it.

These are not the words of somebody who "sucks". Please try to keep on recognizing what a great job you have done & continue to do, and be proud of yourself. Don't tear yourself down, or it will be just that much harder to believe that you deserve the good choices you're making. GG is right (cuz she smart like dat)...we can only control our own behaviors & follow the plan, and that's not the same as controlling when & how much weight comes off. Hang in there, sweetie!

thanks laura, i had no problem the first few weeks getting my Water in but ever since last saturday i have been so busy that ive been struggling to get even half that amount in. def gonna have to work on this for a bit. i have been overweight my entire life and i guess im just getting impatient.

I know, that's been me too.. It's the damn holidays! Water for me even after a year is a full time job...

Ok I'm super busy today I'm about to go shopping (again) and I have a party at 2 let's make a promise to get our water in today!

As far as patience? At some point I just told myself to chill out. I said give it a year. And if after trying at this for a year (really trying) if you still haven't lost a good amount by then, then you can freak out, obsess and become impatient :)

DEAL! i promise to get my water in today. im almost done with a 20oz bottle so ill just refill while i finish up my shopping today! have a great day

DEAL! i promise to get my water in today. im almost done with a 20oz bottle so ill just refill while i finish up my shopping today! have a great day

Lol! I need to catch up!! Ok I'm going shopping now with a 32 oz bottle tied to my wrist :)

So I don't know if this will help you or not but what works for me is to judge myself by my actions, not by my outcomes. Before you "feel like a failure", ask yourself if you did everything you could and should have done. Did you eat Protein? did you drink your fluids? did you eat junk? If you answered yes to the first two and no to the last, then you did your job. Your body needs time to do it's job. Don't obsess about what you can't control. And the fact is, we can control our actions, but I have had to accept that I do not control my weight. Some complex mechanism seems to be in charge, and it is not me. Don't judge yourself based on stuff you don't control. I will also say that there is some research out there to suggest that we stall for a while once we lose 10% of our body weight, and based on your ticker, that's how much you seem to have lost. Rest assured it will come off, just at it's own pace, not yours. Unfortunately :( Having said all that, I wish I could just give you a hug because I can totally relate to the frustration and hopelessness you must be feeling. ((hugs))

I totally agree with you GG. From the beginning I have refused to set weight loss goals. My goals have been to stick with my plan... 60+g of Protein, 60+ou of Water, and 60 min of exercise. As long as I stick with the plan I have been successful. I do weigh daily, but I don't let it control my emotions or my life. I'm 6 pounds away from goal and loss has slowed down, but I feel great. I have halfheartedly participated in the Thanksgiving and Christmas challenges, but those have not been nearly as inspiring as the exercise challenges.

OP have you calculated your BMR or TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure)? Both will help you figure out how much u can lose in a day.

hang in there..don't give up..drink that Water and eat your meals..aren't you on phase 2 of the sleeve diet where you eat 1 to 2 tbls.of food? ....

So I don't know if this will help you or not but what works for me is to judge myself by my actions, not by my outcomes. Before you "feel like a failure", ask yourself if you did everything you could and should have done. Did you eat Protein? did you drink your fluids? did you eat junk? If you answered yes to the first two and no to the last, then you did your job. Your body needs time to do it's job. Don't obsess about what you can't control. And the fact is, we can control our actions, but I have had to accept that I do not control my weight. Some complex mechanism seems to be in charge, and it is not me. Don't judge yourself based on stuff you don't control. I will also say that there is some research out there to suggest that we stall for a while once we lose 10% of our body weight, and based on your ticker, that's how much you seem to have lost. Rest assured it will come off, just at it's own pace, not yours. Unfortunately :( Having said all that, I wish I could just give you a hug because I can totally relate to the frustration and hopelessness you must be feeling. ((hugs))

I totally agree with you GG. From the beginning I have refused to set weight loss goals. My goals have been to stick with my plan... 60+g of Protein, 60+ou of Water, and 60 min of exercise. As long as I stick with the plan I have been successful. I do weigh daily, but I don't let it control my emotions or my life. I'm 6 pounds away from goal and loss has slowed down, but I feel great. I have halfheartedly participated in the Thanksgiving and Christmas challenges, but those have not been nearly as inspiring as the exercise challenges.

OP have you calculated your BMR or TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure)? Both will help you figure out how much u can lose in a day.

no i have not calculated this, i didnt even know anything about it but i will def look into this thank you!