Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

21 y/o first time mom 7 months post op

Hi everyone

I am only 5+1 weeks pregnant, but I would love to get information from other women who have been where I am.

I am extremely nervous about gaining a lot of weight, it doesn't help that I feel like I am eating too much. Just 2 weeks ago I was only about to eat barely one slice of homemade pizza, last week I ate 3! 1/3 of a chicken breast, to 1.5 breasts.

Thanks,

Kelsey

It's interesting. It's been a while since I was pregnant but the nutritional needs are only something like 300 calories more per day, later in the pregnancy. It sounds like you might be having some head hunger. Not that it isn't real…but I remember not *needing* to eat very much more but sometimes thinking I did.

I am not a doctor but I would find one who has experience with pregnancy post WLS, and I would measure everything like crazy! The one question of course is, if you were only able to eat around 800 calories or so before, what would be your minimum to thrive in the pregnancy.

Good luck!

I am not using a doctor/ob, I am in the process of trying to find a midwife.

As for the head hunger, I had a lot of that at the end of the summer. My belly growls, out of hunger. If I go too long I get nauseous. I saw my pcp but I recently got married and moved over 1.5 hours away.

Keep some cheese cubes or slices in the fridge and a healthy trail mix in your purse... nibble on it to ward off nausea... you don't need extra calories until about 15 weeks at which time you will only need 300 extra calories per day for the duration of your pregnancy. That looks like half a Peanut Butter and jelly sandwich (just to give you an image) I studied nutrition in college and took an interest in pregnancy nutrition also I am currently 18weeks... If you let your head tell you that you have to eat more you might gain weight. I am 18 weeks and still loosing and my OB is not concerned. You might not be able to see a midwife because of the surgery but good luck there are a lot of things that have to be done differently. This is my 3rd pregnancy and it is being handled very differently :-)

This is helpful. I am 7 months post op and I just found out that I am pregnant. I plan to keep following my diet because I don't want to gain a lot. My first pregnancy I only gained 18lbs. Thanks @mamachef

Edited by Kelly_Girl19

Wow, I really feel out of place here, but, I can tell you I have seen this play out in other threads a while back. And yes, I do recall in the threads I have read, the sleeve does seem to relax significantly while you are pregnant. However, it was also reported that after giving birth the stomach did return to its pre pregnancy restrictive proportions.

I'm sure if you do a bit of digging you can find the threads, but they were 18 months or more ago.

If you're not using a Dr. or OB, do you have access to a nutritionist? It might be worth having a session with one just to help with find the right intake to keep your weight under control and your little one healthy.

Best of luck!

Wow, I really feel out of place here, but, I can tell you I have seen this play out in other threads a while back. And yes, I do recall in the threads I have read, the sleeve does seem to relax significantly while you are pregnant. However, it was also reported that after giving birth the stomach did return to its pre pregnancy restrictive proportions.

I'm sure if you do a bit of digging you can find the threads, but they were 18 months or more ago.

OTR...!! Btw...omigosh, you look FAB!

& yeah, I was going to say the same thing... Didn't there used to be a separate forum/room for this topic?! :( Am I missing it, or did it disappear with the transition?

I also remember ppl saying their sleeve relaxed a bit during p/g....

Edited by mwrarr

Nvm...!! I figured it out! :} you all probably think I'm losing it haha