Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm starting the process

M excited but nervous! I go for an informational meeting on wed! The person I talked to said that is the first step. Did anyone else have to do this as well before seeing the dr? I was relieved to find a place that took my insurances. I have Medicare and Medicaid.

I went to a seminar after doing my research online. After the seminar I met the doctor to go over the procedure and discuss any other questions and concerns I had. I am actually in the doctors office now to do my first testing of my heart. This is one of the requirements from my doctor bcuz it's major surgery wants to make sure the heart is good. I too am scared but looking forward to the process.

and so it begins....this will be an incredible journey i assure you. i did some online research as well and the first step i took was going to the seminar back in april. got sleeved nov 12th good luck to you and keep us updated on your journey!

found a place that took my insurances - Medicare

sbailey1

i had to go to "informational" meetings, then 3 meetings prior to WLS

this is one of the first steps in getting the surgery, then speaking with surgeon, and then, and then.. and then....... ;)

continue to gather lots of info

read these boards

we all will help, support, and give our words of wisdom?? -_- :lol:

what kind of procedure are you having done???

when i had surgery :lol: medicare was not accepted :angry:(now it is)

the sleeve was not being covered by all insurances (still isn't, but i think its improving)

two years po i had to fight to finally have my sleeve surgery paid for by my secondary ins (but thats another story)

your emotions will be all over the place as you are approaching surgery :wacko:

being happy, nervous, scared et al

then again - periodically post op you might feel many different emotions too

goes with the territory

good luck

kathy

reread your post

i see you just joined us yesterday woohoo

welcome

Edited by proudgrammy

I too am scared but looking forward to the process.

Karen

you joined at 2:04 this morning??? :o

i was sound asleep, but i did hear a noise, but it was just DH snoring :lol:

so now i can say

WELCOME, WELCOME

always great having a new smiling face in the group :)

you are in the doc office now to have your test with the heart????

and you are writing me - i mean us!!! :lol:

OMG "you" people that take your phones everywhere and post :lol:

in the surgery room will you start to write as you count down, 10, 9, 8, etc. and fall asleep before you can finish the word??? LOL :lol:

sorry got off topic

enjoy your ride for the rest of your healthier, happier, longer life :)

good luck

kathy

Welcome, friend, welcome. Wander around and ask any questions. You'll find the "pre-sleeve" process possibly long, BUT it can be very valuable!!!

Thanks so much everyone for the support!! I will definitely keep you all informed about what's going on with me! I am enjoying reading everyone's stories on here!

I agree with everyone....do your research and being prepared will do wonders for your confidence in the procedure. But also.....you'll have to take some of what you read on different forums with a grain of salt.. when it comes to some things, everyone thinks they are an expert

Good luck and keep us updated!!

Gm WLS fam. Did my blood work this morning. Have my NUT visit this Thursday. So everything seems to b moving right along. Everything seems to be going so fast and after I do all this my surgery can b scheduled with in a month. So nerve wrecking. Yikes ????????????????

M excited but nervous! I go for an informational meeting on wed! The person I talked to said that is the first step. Did anyone else have to do this as well before seeing the dr? I was relieved to find a place that took my insurances. I have Medicare and Medicaid.

Welcome

Yes, I had to do an informational meeting first too. That is Fantastic news. Congrats to you on your Journey!

Edited by Ballermom

Gm WLS fam. Did my blood work this morning. Have my NUT visit this Thursday. So everything seems to b moving right along. Everything seems to be going so fast and after I do all this my surgery can b scheduled with in a month. So nerve wrecking. Yikes

Welcome,

That great that things are moving right along well. Congrats!

I know it might sound silly to have second thoughts but did anyone have second thoughts after starting the process. My husband is not all together on board telling me to try the natural way. I am just hoping notn goes wrong for him to say I told u so. Remember I can't get my stomach back but on the other hand heart disease is in my family diabetes cancer HBP u name it, my family has it. But who wants to be overweight? I just want to be healthy, I want to see my 3 yr old grow up, my eldest is almost 18.

I know it might sound silly to have second thoughts but did anyone have second thoughts after starting the process. My husband is not all together on board telling me to try the natural way. I am just hoping notn goes wrong for him to say I told u so. Remember I can't get my stomach back but on the other hand heart disease is in my family diabetes cancer HBP u name it, my family has it. But who wants to be overweight? I just want to be healthy, I want to see my 3 yr old grow up, my eldest is almost 18.

its not silly to have second thoughts. most of us if not all of us have these thoughts. i second guessed til i was up on the operating table. it was difficult as well thinking about my children being without a mother ( they are 5 and 2) You have to really sit and think have i done everything i possibly could to lose the wieght on my own and do the beneifts outweigh the risks? for me the answer was yes to both. ive been overweight my entore life and tried countless diets. my weight was just continuin to go up and i was getting to the point where walking was becoming painful. best decision i ever made so far even though im still early out i am feeling confident i can finally achieve my goal

My surgery is scheduled for 1/14/14. I've done all of the requirements: QUIT SMOKING 11/6/2013, 3 hour Consultation with surgeon, nurse practitioner, and nutritionist, pre screening labs, sleep study, cardiac consultation, endoscopy, pre op testing, lab work, ekg, chest xray. My doctor also periodically checks nicotine levels prior to surgery. These are just baby steps into what I believe will be a life long journey as the journey does not stop once the surgery is done. Im very excited to start this new chapter of my life. As most people who have chosen this route, I've battled weight issues my entire life. I look forward to wanting to take pictures again, wearing a bathing suit, and clothes shopping. I know none of thuis will happen over night, but I do know that every day that I wake up I am one step closer.