Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling like a faliure...

I had my revision on Oct 22nd, 3 weeks post op I was down about 25lbs to 223. I am now 230. I am working out, about 4 times a week. Honestly, I feel like I can eat anything...and always hungry. I am eating around 1200 cal a day. I have my followup appt this week, and am embarrassed to go. I went though all this and feel like I should have had the bypass from band revision. I try to keep protien first, but can eat anything with no difficulty...and I am trying to be mindful and not eat Cookies which are everywhere due to the holiday. Went to a party sat and ate about 10 shrimp so I would not eat the other 100 items spread out...I am trying to keep my spirits up, but I am so sad, and then want to eat and say f-it...its not working. I am not drinking my Water enough...so today I am committing to that. Any advice? I dont want to be the big whinner...I am just scared, sad, and embarrassed.

Oh, honey. You've just gone through another major operation! That's big stuff! You don't want to be beating yourself up so soon!

Your body is probably saying 'what in the world?!' 'I'm hanging onto my calories, thank you very much!' Sounds like the common three week stall.

Just keep doing what you know to be right and all will be well.

One thing I will say - is food 'passing through' okay?

As long as it is and you 'feel okay'.. Hang on in there. If, by another 4 weeks, things haven't 'levelled out', go back to your quack and have a chat.

Hang in there, honey. It's too soon to be down and you'll be rocking your sleeve in no time. It's probably just your body's way of saying 'I'm grumpy, I've been fannied about with again.. Leave me alone!' :)

Sounds like you are doing everything right, although my doc says target as far as calories should be between 600 and 800 a day, and min of 60 grams Protein. working on your Water consumption will help too.

I would not be embarrassed to talk to your doctor. He/she needs to know what's going on and help you figure out why you don't have more restriction.

So sorry you are going thru this. I may be in your shoes soon, as I am a revision from band to sleeve, and having sleeve done next month. We just have to come here to talk it out, and realize that it's a journey and sometimes we need help with the journey. don't let your sadness defeat everything. Hang in there, talk to the doc, work on your Water, and tell us what he/she says after your appointment.

Edited by livelyterry

I too think your intake (calories) is a little high - I need to be 800 or less to lose weight and a lot on these forums have said similar low amounts. Also, you should be feeling restriction, particularly with dense Protein - roast chicken breast is a good example. Some foods go down more easily, which is why most drs and nutritionists say protein first and make jt the lean, dense kind. Sadly some foods do need to be avoided - starchy carbs - sleeve or no sleeve. There are folks who want to eat the "same as before but smaller portion size"... While I certainly get that, my own experience has been greater/quicker hunger, higher calorie intake and less weight loss with breads and cereals in my diet. Record what you're eating and make your 60g plus protein only of the lean, dense kind and see how that affects you. Good luck.

Lifeliver don't give up. I was sleeved 09/18, had a stall at 3 weeks, then the weight started to fall off again. Am now 12 weeks post surgery and have just had another stall which lasted 4 weeks. Am still 33 pounds less and dividing that between the 12 weeks means a loss of between 2-3 pounds per week.

You are roughly 8 weeks post op and down 18-20 pounds? That's the same as me, 2-3 pounds per week.

When we started this journey we knew it wasn't going to be easy, but stick with it, things will get better. Our bodies are trying to hang on to everything we through down our necks! Keep your doctor's appointment, you still weigh less than when you started and that is an achievement.

I don't regret my surgery, this has been the best thing I've ever done.

Chin up and good luck!

I don't know how well the band worked for you, but mine wasn't so great - had it for 10 years of pretty lousy actually. I did take the time to contemplate how I contributed to "failure" and one mistake I vowed to never make again was to blame myself and not seek help and support. I think it is great you have asked here and I think you should be very straight forward with your doctor. Don't be embarrassed, you need help! I am guessing he has seen all variations - fast and slow losers etc. I think that you might benefit from some sessions with a nutritionalist or even therapist. Reality of it is, you might be slower loser then you were with the band, or compared to some other sleevers. That is painful to accept, but honestly does it matter? I have lost 160# due to my revision, does anyone really think it matters how long it took? The journey is far from over for me even, because i am now in maintenance... in other words, there never is an "end" it is all a process, an ongoing way of living.

So, ;practical advice, get yourself a sleeve guidebook (usually provided by your surgeon or NUT) and follow it as closely as you can! Who cares about Cookies, this is your health and life on the line here! Even doing that, it might be more slow and steady, but you will eventually make your goal weight.

I think it took me 3 months post op to really get in the total groove with my sleeve. Nerves are damaged, I was dehydreated, sometimes I felt hungrier than I should, sometimes I had no appetite... all over the board. The key is to be eating the dense Proteins. I am talking fish, chicken, sandwhich meat etc etc. If you aren't hungry for a slice of sandwich meat wrapped in a piece of lettuce, are you really hungry? That goes along ways to filling you up and makes it easier to eat properly. There are lots of "sleeve basics" that i presume you know, but following them really does help.

hang in there and don't give up!

Thank you all for the time you took to respond. I am in the dumps..and wonder how much is self sabatage...I am a pro at it :). I am going to focus on the good...one hour at a time.

LL,

Focus on Protein. As in cut out all sugars and processed carbs...

And tell us is this helps.

Hang in there Lifeliver. I know someone has a signature that includes a great link to "the 3 week slump." If I come across it again, I'll try to repost it. Dense Protein, yummmmmm, I'm only a week out. Can't wait.

Watch for Butterthebean's posts!!!

Hang in there Lifeliver. I know someone has a signature that includes a great link to "the 3 week slump." If I come across it again, I'll try to repost it. Dense Protein, yummmmmm, I'm only a week out. Can't wait.

Search Google for dsfacts stall. It is good info.

Checking in...I have stayed away from almost all christmas Cookies, any bad food...journaling and working out 4 times a week and yet I still have not lost. My OB thinks it was my IUD, took it out last week...we shall see...but I am not 9 weeks out, and sitting at 231. It is the most horrific nightmare ever.

Hang in there little friend. Keep 'doing good" and you'll do good!!! I know how frustrating these long stalls are, but the good habits will work in the end.

And it ain't the end yet.

Hang in there little friend. Keep 'doing good" and you'll do good!!! I know how frustrating these long stalls are, but the good habits will work in the end.

And it ain't the end yet.

that brought me to tears...thank you...your right. This is not the end...It is just so awful to not be loosing, and eating mindfully, not engaging in all the party food. AND have people around me see how heavy I still am 2 months after surgery. I am having my true metabolic rate tested on NYE in a lab...to find out if I am in metabolic failure or what is going on...thanks for your support...means more than you may ever know.

when I had the band I too was eating more than 1000 cals..and now even with less cals wt does not go down....body has adjusted to less food...unfortunately..

try some Soup to reduce your hunger pangs...I know its easy to preach....but i am sure you can over come this phase....dont be depressed...srtess and depression also causes weight gain..

all the best dear....