Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I give up (updates)

Getting through the pre op was a struggle for me too. I finally broke down and shared how hard it was going to be for me with my friends. They had no idea how much I struggled with food. I attempted to start early several and failed. When it came down to those last two weeks my friends had to literally babysit me. We gardened, went for walks and drank Protein Shakes together, lol. They kept me busy. I'm a stay at home mom so are they, when the kids left for school, so did I. I worried about post op because the pre op was so hard but 3 months have passed and I'm down 60 lbs. You can do it. Make a plan to whatever you need to do. Don't be afraid to ask your family and friends for help

I wrote the post about the unfortunate patient who ate the chicken. I wish she was the only one who ended up in trouble due to noncompliance. So if you aren't ready then take a step back and work on whatever issues you have.

I did gastric sleeve because I am just like you, a volume eater. I can go all day without eating and be fine but one bite and I'd eat whatever. No off button. Both of my friends who chose sleeve were the same way. I'm just day two, but both guys are several months out and did great. The sleeve is your off button signaling you've had enough. But you have to be totally committed to following the post op plan because to not is dangerous. I will tell you I have no desire to eat post op and the pre op diet was a struggle for me too.

Maybe set up an appointment with psych and talk about your fears.

I am feeling a little better now, spoke to psych she said that it don't seem im ready that we can talk more about how I feel. I told her I know I want this surgery bc I have tried so many time gained and lost. that I know I can't eat like Im used to, that its hard all day just drinking the shake and that if I eat even a small amount I will continue eating. im going back next week to tlk more about it.

Im also so scare of the pain, I been on here for a while have been reading every post, some of them really hit home. I live only with my 15 son and need to cook for him and my adult nephew. so its hard.

yesterday I did ok, I had two shakes, my Water, ham,cheese sandwich, diet coke and a cupcake. at a friends house I don't keep junk food in my house anymore.

ok today is another day its 7:09 am and having my first shake. Have a great you all.

Hi Nancy: you are really honest and brave to post your struggles and fears here. I also had no "off-switch" when it came to food. I was absolutely TERRIFIED of surgery, ANY surgery! I also made a previous, aborted attempt at WLS two years prior. I backed out AFTER going thru the entire 6-month required pre-diet and nutritional counseling! I just wasn't ready and I was going to get the Lap-band at that time which I became increasingly unsure about. I also knew I wouldn't be able to stick with the 2-week pre-op diet and had tremendous fears about the surgery. Fast forward 2&1/2 years and I decided to revisit WLS. The more I learned about the sleeve the more I knew it was the right choice for me. But, I couldn't let myself think about the actual surgery. Of course I educated myself and was fully aware of the risks but I just focused on getting myself there. I put on the blinders and focused on the finish line. Thought I would lose my mind during the pre-op diet but I got thru it with the help of a dear friend who was 6-months post-op and knew what I was going thru. The post-op pain was really minimal for me but it did take about three months to get my energy level back. Now at almost 10 months post-op I have great energy but I still struggle with emotional eating. I just can't eat the same amount that I used to. Thank God!

I think being self-aware and learning to recognize your emotional stressors that make you want to overeat is a first step to any successful weight-loss. I was never able to do that pre-sleeve. The inability to eat myself into a coma is what has forced me to slow down and take an honest look at myself when it comes to my behavior around food that is self-destructive.

I wish you all the best regardless of what you decide. It is OK to take more time and be sure that you are truly ready. It's a HUGE life-change and the beginning is very challenging.

I did good yesterday and so far I am doing good. my mind only thinks about food 24/7 and I just have to keep doing something else and keep asking myself why I want to have the surgery.

by reading these post has helped me a lot,

thanks

Nancy just take each day at a time. Thank you for your honesty. Sounds like you are still pushing through and that's wonderful. Try going for walks or finding an activity to keep your mind off food. This isn't an easy journey but the results are well worth it. Keep posting and reading the post on here if it helps you get thru. We are all here because of similar struggles so we know what you are going thru and are willing to support you any way we can. #teamNancy

Had to share, I just received these magnets

I know what I need and I ask for help

I am capable of change

I reward myself in healthy ways

L-in-NJ Its been helping me being on this site. I left a message to my pysch telling her how I feel, I have an appt to see here Tuesday.

Thank you all, I been feeling better and doing kinda better lol.

Updates and thank you all

Don't give up! I was the same as you, didn't think I could, but then every time I had that thought, I would look into the mirror and say (to myself), suck it up, you HAVE to do this. And I did. Sleeved on 11/21 and 22 pounds gone. I believe in you!

Nancy:

You CAN DO THIS. Its okay to be apprehensive, fearful of the unknown, second guess your decision, and to have moments of weakness. You can reevaluate your decision, but if you don't go thru with it, you will stay the same. You CHOSE wls for a reason. Now its getting real. You are doing this for YOU.

thank you everyone, I been thinking more about it and feeling better, I also been doing much better with the shakes and meals. I just need to get more Protein, Water I am doing great.

I read the guide book again and been writing down why I want to better my health and get off all those pills

every time I think of food I remind myself why I decided to do this surgery, its for me health

Keep it up Nancy, it's all worth it!