Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My surgery date is Monday. To be honest I wasn't worried, I've had a c section and the pain wasn't bad. I had one shot of pain meds post op, made me sick so no more. Figured laparoscopic surgery should be a breeze right? I mean if it's not horrible to take an 7 lb baby through a 6 inch incision how awful can a couple small incisions be? Then I started reading these boards and most people complain of significant pain. Still not overly worried until I found out about the morphine PCA and picked up the two huge bottles of liquid hydrocodone for post op. How awful must this be to get all this pain medicine? Not that I'm going to change my mind but I'd like to know what I'm in for. So tell me post op peeps, how bad is it, 1-10 scale?

My surgery date is Monday. To be honest I wasn't worried, I've had a c section and the pain wasn't bad. I had one shot of pain meds post op, made me sick so no more. Figured laparoscopic surgery should be a breeze right? I mean if it's not horrible to take an 7 lb baby through a 6 inch incision how awful can a couple small incisions be? Then I started reading these boards and most people complain of significant pain. Still not overly worried until I found out about the morphine PCA and picked up the two huge bottles of liquid hydrocodone for post op. How awful must this be to get all this pain medicine? Not that I'm going to change my mind but I'd like to know what I'm in for. So tell me post op peeps, how bad is it, 1-10 scale?

It varies depending on your tolerance for pain and if you're having other things repaired as well. For instance, I had a hiatal hernia repaired as well as VSG. My pain waking up was a 9, but I have a very low tolerance for pain. The night after I was taken off the pain pump was difficult but as I was weaning off , it got better. At home I was prescribed Roxicet and I used it as needed, mainly for soreness or pain from incision site where my drain tube was. Hopefully you won't experience any pain. Good luck :)

My pain wasn't bad at all. When they asked me after surgery to rate it on a scale of 1 - 10 I think I said a 4. I was never offered morphine and would have refused it if offered. I did take liquid lortab the first day, then I took it at night for about a week, because otherwise there was just enough pain (especially when lying down) to make sleep difficult. Initially after my surgery most of my pain was from the gas. After I got rid of that (maybe 12 - 18 hours) my only lingering pain was from my drain site, where a nurse had jabbed a nerve while manipulating the tubing. Other than that, I didn't have incisional pain or general stomach or abdominal pain.

Thanks for the replies! Guess I will find out soon enough;). Plan for the worst, hope for the best I suppose.

The gas and getting used to the new feelings of the stomach was the worst for me. I did take pain Meds for 3 days after getting home but some of that was to help me get comfortable to sleep (sitting up in my recliner). I've had 2 c-sections and a hysterectomy and the pain for me was compatible. The gas was not. Just remember to walk ASAP and take those gas strips before you think you need to.

Everyone is different. I was maybe a 5-6 immediately post op and I had a hiatal hernia repair too. Had tylenol IV no narcotics and brought it down to a 4 and never went above that. Haven't used a thing since I went home 2nd day post op.

C section was MUCH worse and gallbladder was worse as well.

I had very little gas pain and nausea was well controlled with scopolamine patch.

You all are lucky -- I'm still suffering 2 nights out. Pain management does get better with time and walking but no jokes my pain was a 900 on a scale of 1-10 ... Wish I was exaggerating but I'm not -- I really wanted to be sedated and I pleaded with the nursing staff about that in addition to screaming for Jesus' healing powers

Boy did I have buyers remorse that first night

I'm on roxicet while at home and it's ok but the diluden(probably wrong spelling) they gave me in the hospital was much much more effective and lasted longer ..... I thought I was going to faint due to pain initially ... I get pretty bad menstrual cramps too but the VSG and hernia pain was 1000x worse in my opinion ... I do have low tolerance for pain although not afraid of needles for blood work and IV

Don't want to scare anyone but my first couple nights were rough

I'm hoping and praying to get back to normal very soon, I'm heading back to work on jan 6 which is a good thing but wish I could take off even more time

I had my surgery on tuesday n pain has been about 6-8. Having stomach cramping n diarrhea too. Had to stay nother night at hospital due to low blood pressure n cant seem to get comfortable to go to sleep. Hope this does get better soon.

Mine was Monday. Immediate post op was painful apparently I'm a light weight when it comes to drugs, fall asleep and forget to breath. So spent a little longer in PACU than normal with no pain meds until the breathing was better.

As soon as they let me up to walk I felt much better. Walked every hour and was as close to pain free possible after surgery. Only used the morphine PCA to sleep.

Was allowed to go home the next morning. Still relatively pain free except sipping fluids was uncomfortable. Post op day 2 was probably the most difficult, gas pain, incisional pain, and fluids were a challenge. But all has gradually gotten better and now am drinking slowly but easily. Staying up late to try to catch up.

So I'd say it wasn't as easy as I hoped but not nearly as difficult as I feared. Pain at its worse 6, and now it might be 1-2.

Ok I had my surgery on Monday...Pain free, tolerating liquids very fine. My Dr. said I did very well. I only had 4 incisions. Let's see what the next week bring. Happy I went through with It

Happy to hear you had minimal pain, praise God!!! I'm just now 1 week out and starting to get some relief. Only took 2 doses of roxicet and gasX strips yesterday compared to my regular every 4-6 hours around the clock since my dec12 surg date. I too only have 4 incisions -- 2 tiny and 2 medium healing up nicely. Many I've heard have 5-6 incisions. Starting Protein Shakes today and hoping it gives me more energy cause I was super week yesterday. Had major regrets first few nights due to excessive pain from my surprise sliding hiatal hernia but I trust my surgeon used his best professional judgement and skill.... Slowly but surely believe I made a good decision .... I just can't wait to start eating normal foods in small portions. I enjoy Water but need more substance these days