Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"Operation Operation"

Hello and welcome to "Operation Operation" for me.

I have read quite a few stories over the past 8 months prepping up for the day I would be lucky enough to get a date for surgery. I have found them useful so I decided I will attempt it and try to use it as a sounding board and future reflection for myself. Someone I respect highly said that EVERYONE should write their own autobiography. That has always stuck in my mind and maybe one day I will but until then I will use this blog.

My date to change the rest of my life is day after Christmas, 26 Dec 2013.

Here are some reasons I am happy:

I am happy for monetary reasons because my out of pocket expenses have been this year and now I won’t pay anything or surgery!!! Also my deductibles and out of pocket expense amounts are all raising to over 2.5 times what they are this year (thanks Obamacare!!). So if I had it in January it would be a lot more!!

I am of course ecstatic because this is what I needed for a while and wouldn't allow it because I figured I could lose the inches without it but I have proved that false. I would lose a lot of pounds just to see them come back faster than it took to take them off and of course with some extra weight to add.

I am glad because my twin 8 yr. old girls will have Daddy in their lives for many more years.

I am delighted that my wonderful Wiff will get to have me around for the rest of her days on this planet. Not sure she is glad about this but I am (Just kidding of course.)

I am joyful that I will not have so many physical problems with this body.

So I will be updating "Operation Operation" here.

Edited by knt4ever

I think it's so important to count our blessings. We all have had so many difficulties. It is awesome to have such an opportunity that is life changing. It can be challenging and sometimes it is hard to think positive. I'm waiting for surgery approval and negative thoughts hit me. I try to push all the negativity away. Everything will work out. Congrats on your surgery! Take care.

So the results came back from Pre-Op tests and overall it was good so another hurdle has been passed.

Vitamin D is low so I will supplement with a million Vitamin D3 (ok not that much) and a couple of my liver enzymes are elevated so they are going to take biopsy during the surgery.

My question:

Iis isn't everyone's liver enzymes elevated when they have a fatty liver???

Edited by knt4ever

I have a Vitamin D def and I took real high Vitamin d units for like 2 weeks now they got me on regular vitamin d and I have to take it the rest of my life good luck hun I'm having mine dec 23 2013 so we aren't far away from having them do they u on a Protein Shake diet I am well like I said good luck on everything

I have a Vitamin d def and I took real high Vitamin d units for like 2 weeks now they got me on regular vitamin d and I have to take it the rest of my life good luck hun I'm having mine dec 23 2013 so we aren't far away from having them do they u on a Protein shake diet I am well like I said good luck on everything

Some Dr have people on the liquid diets and some don't. My Dr has liquid diet if over 48 BMI and I am not so don't have to by his standards.

Good Luck to you too! I will be 3 days behind you! Keep in touch with how you are doing ok?

Edited by knt4ever

Sure will let me know how u do too yea my doctor does that to all her patients the liquid diet that is

WILL DO!!!

I went to Pre-Op meeting today with 5 other patients and Bariatric coordinator who had RNY a long long time ago and it was very informative & reassuring. Our binders have so much information but very thorough and answers most questions!

They said I won't have a button for morphine and that I will have to let nurse know when I need pain meds. I told my coordinator to go ahead and let my nurse know I WILL need it so go and have it ready. I believe they might think I have a drug problem because I may or may not have asked for the prescription for pain killers already. LOL. Trying to stay ahead of the pain!

Next Thursday is the day!

Edited by knt4ever

Knt4ever. Fortunately I had the morphine "button" when I woke up in recovery and I was so glad. I in a lot of pain but after pushing the button 3 or 4 times I was very comfortable. My pain was managed very well while I spent one day hospitalized. Once I came home I took Vicodin as needed. The pain was not bad at all. I described it as like being punched in the stomach. It only lasted about 4 days.

Best of luck to you.

My Wiff reminds me that men are more sensitive to pain, I think she called it being a "Big Baby" LOL. She asked my Bariatric coordinator for a prescription for pain meds too so she can deal with me lol. She is sooooo funny.

My Wiff reminds me that men are more sensitive to pain, I think she called it being a "Big Baby" LOL. She asked my Bariatric coordinator for a prescription for pain meds too so she can deal with me lol. She is sooooo funny.

You sound like an awesome couple! The sense of humor will help you both thru the first few days! Nothing wrong with letting the nurses know ahead of time that you have a low pain tolerance. They can be a little more mindful of you right post op. Relax cuz you will be just fine. Best wishes to you, and your wife! ;)

Dorian - Thank you very much.

My Wiff is pretty awesome and we do cause a scene usually with our joking around with each other. The hospital I am going to has Bariatric section and I will have nurses that only work bariatric patients so they are very experienced, Some have had the surgery as well so I know I will be in good hands.

Good luck with your surgery! It was great to read your story.

kraney - Thank you very much! My story isn't over yet so keep stopping by!

Two things that keeps running in my mind after the Pre-Op meeting with Bariatric Coordinator (who had WLS over decade ago) is what she said was and is key to losing and keeping of the weight:

1 - Do not drink while you eat.

2 - Get your daily Fluid intake.

I have always found it interesting how powerful Water intake is to our daily lives before surgery and how even more important AFTER surgery. Just wanted to share that because it is stuck in my mind and keeps replaying.