Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anybody else freaked out by the idea of never being able to enjoy carbs again?

I am really nervous about not being able to eat Pasta. That is probably why I have been craving it like crazy e past few weeks. I on dear if there is Italian flavored Protein drinks?!?!?! If so I'm in!! Lol

You will try it at some point and it won't taste like you remembered and you will feel like crap for hours and you won't crave it as much after that.

You guys, you can have anything you want, most of it by two months post-op. There is no never-again unless it's by choice. You probably won't want much of whatever it is because the foods on your plan will make you feel so much better and the carb monster will go away if you don't feed it. It's sweet relief not to have that monkey on my back. I just tell myself "I can have that later if I want it." It's true. They are not going to stop making pizza or Cookies.

How addicted was I if I had considered staying obese so I could keep eating pizza all the time? Pizza or cake or Pasta all the time are not worth years I can spend with my family. Please have some perspective.

hi guys I'm a little late to this discussion, but I was sleeved the 1st of December. I was like you guys terrified of never being able to eat things again, I had enough food Funerals for a lifetime :-)

To be honest, I can eat things like pizza and Pasta, but in small amounts. I ate a small slice of pizza a week ago, and it filed me up like a thanksgiving turkey :-)! I personally do not believe that we should be stuck in a life of being deprived of foods we like. don't get me wrong I'm not advocating eating Pasta everyday, but small amounts will not affect your weight loss.

You will also find that your tastes have changed! I no longer crave Doritos and chips, because I know they can be uncomfortable if I eat more than one. I do crave Protein, oatmeal, and vegetables -of all things!

this is not a death sentence it's the beginning of a new life :-) :-) :-)

hey, i thought is chime in since i'm the OP :) i started the thread to get an idea of other ppl had the experience of not being able to tolerate cardbs post sleeve. i only had 2 real life ppl to speak with about this before i was sleeved Jan 13th and both had told me that they physically could not tolerate any kind of bread and most carbs. that if they ate carbs they became physically ill. it seems that is not the NORM tho as ppl on here mostly say that you can have those things in moderation of course.

for myself i'm eating way healthier than i was pre sleeve but about a month before my sleeve i had already adopted a much more healthy way of eating that resulted in my loosing 15lbs before surgery. I feel so much better now. :)

I found this great recipe for no carb bread and is really simple to make and tastes good!!

Carb Free Cloud Bread recipe

Ingredients:
3 eggs, separated
3 tablespoons whole milk cottage cheese or 3 tablespoons cream cheese
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 (1 g) packet artificial sweetener

Directions:

1 Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

2 Separate the eggs very carefully, there must be no yolk in the white.

3 In one bowl, mix together the egg yolks, the 3 T. of Cottage cheese OR Cream Cheese and the one packet of Sweetener until smooth.

4 In the other bowl add 1/4 teaspoon of Cream of Tartar to the whites and beat the whites on high speed until they are fluffy and form nice peaks.

5 Very carefully fold the egg yolk mixture into the egg whites until mixed, but try and not break down the fluffiness of the egg whites too much.

6 Spray two cookie sheets with Pam or other fat-free cooking spray.

7 With a large spoon, "scoop" the mixture into 10 even rounds on the sheets (about the size of the top-half of the McDonalds hamburger bun; roughly 3/4 inch thick and 4 to 5 inches across).

8 Bake on the middle rack. Here is when you have to watch them, because the cooking time the same on any two batches. It is somewhere around 1/2 hour, but it could be less or more. You just need to watch them until them become nice and golden brown (again, the color of a McDonalds bun).

9 Remove from the pans and cool on a rack or cutting board.

10 While warm they are crumbly and similar to cooked meringue - but don't let this fool you! Once completely cool, seal them in a ziplock storage baggie or a tupperware over night. They will totally change their consistency, to something much more like bread - a softer texture that is nice and chewy. If you do not like softer chewy bread, then eat them as they are, nice and crisp.

11 Since the sides that were facing the pan are perfectly flat, you use these to spread things on, or make sandwiches, or even as a burger bun! The choice is up to you, and you will be quite amazed at how much like a bun these really are!

Read more: <a href="http://www.food.com/recipe/carb-free-cloud-bread-411501?oc=linkback">http://www.food.com/recipe/carb-free-cloud-bread-411501?oc=linkback</a>

i've read a lot of ppl that say they can't eat bread or any type of sweets after being sleeved. am i the only one that is scared out of thier MIND about that prospect? i know that carbs are not really supposed to be good for you but i've comforted myself with sugar my whole life and the thought of not being able to go there kind of freaks me out. not only sugar i guess but the idea i may never enjoy even a peice of toast EVER?

what do yall think?

Just for accuracy sake, cottage cheese has some carbs.

This sounds good! I have been trying to be wheat free low sugar on and off for 2 years. This is a great recipe for that! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks everyone. This is my first time on this site. My surgery was 1-14-14. I know from experience that when you eat just Protein a lot of carb craving will go away. This journey is a battle of the mind with the help of the sleeve. Let us help each other think of all we will gain and not what we will give up. Put on a smile and drink that Protein. We Will Make It. Good Choices to all

DEE DEE ROCKS!!!

Thanks everyone. This is my first time on this site. My surgery was 1-14-14. I know from experience that when you eat just Protein a lot of carb craving will go away. This journey is a battle of the mind with the help of the sleeve. Let us help each other think of all we will gain and not what we will give up. Put on a smile and drink that Protein. We Will Make It. Good Choices to all

DEEDEE!

You do ROCK! We have so much to gain and we are not losing anything! I've been on this journey before with my lap-band. It isn't a "piece of cake" lol however it is a lout easier with our tool.

Once we start to try other foods you will soon learn that tastes are a lot better. 1bite of something will satisfy those screaming desires.

But the main thing is the head and for me the nose! Thinking about that cinnamon bun and smelling it as it bakes is very hard. What I have done in the past and am doing now is thinking about the fact that it smells good, BUT, I'm not really hungry for it. Becoming aware of our feeling of hunger and satisfaction, thoughts and desires, and smells. That's the part we have to feed on. It's not easy but in a few months when the new spring cloths come out and we can walk into any store and try on anything we want. That's the exciting time! It's right around the corner for all of us!

We have a tool we are on a honeymoon right now and wow it's awesome. But when our honeymoon is over and we are in situations that are tempting we need to stop and think what's going on with our emotions.

On a lighter note last night I went to the movies with my husband and son. I sat in the middle they both had popcorn with butter on it. I would have loved even 1 bite lol. But I picked up my Oh Yeah Protein shake and sipped away.

My mom, who was the size of a toothpick, always said that "The second bite tastes just like the first, so I don't need to eat the second bite." I could never follow that which is one of the reason why I needed to have a gastric sleeve. I was sleeved on 1-7-14. While I can have pureed foods and even some "real" soft foods, I have found that the only think that I can "eat" without feeling really sick is my Protein shakes. I hope that improves with time. However I was a real Pasta fiend and was concerned about craving it after surgery. I have NO desire for it at all. My thoughts for the future is that I can have anything I want, but in moderation and only AFTER the Protein.< /p>

Edited by NICU-RN