Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

High BMI - VSG vs RNY

Did anyone with a high BMI decide on a sleeve instead of gastric bypass and why?

I orignally was going to get an RNY until I met with my surgeon the nurse explained he does more sleeves nowadays and has less risks and if I don't lose as much as I need to by one year they will shorten the small inestines to continue weight loss. So, upon her advice I decided for the sleeve only problem is I spent months researching RNY not the sleeve and sadly I can't find as many awesome youtube channels for sleeves with a higher BMI.

Candycrushvsg are you choosing the sleeve because the doctor does more of that particular surgery or are you choosing this because it is what you truly want , I think I will be nervous going back underneath the knife to loose more weight when I could have had the rny .best of luck .

He is one of the first surgeons in the Maryland area to do a Laproscopic RNY so I have no doubt he can take care of me, I chose mostly because it seemed like complications are much less, and I personally don't mind if I have to get a little more done a year later as I have already had gallbladder surgery. The nurse was telling me people are losing even more with the sleeve and comes in at a close second.

Just wondering if there is other high BMI doing sleeve and not RNY and why.

my BMI was 62 when i had lap band/plication surgery..

i say do what works for you and wish you all the best

My BMI was 60+ I weighed 372lbs and my surgeon advised RNY, but I chose the sleeve. My reasons were: 1. I have IBS and didn't want more digestive issues. 2. I didn't like the idea of digestive 'dead ends' which couldn't be fully visualised by an endoscope. 3. The benefits of small intestine shortening only last two years max, as the villi in the remaining intestine eventually thicken to compensate. 4. I didn't want the malabsorption issues. It's now 8 months later, I'm 160lbs down and the weight loss is still going strong. It's your body, your life and your choice :)

My BMI was about 52 when I started at 320 lbs. I chose the sleeve because of the malabsorption issues that can happen with bypass & because I wanted to keep as much of my body's natural digestive process intact as possible. If you haven't come across her yet, check out LessofSarah on YT. I don't know her starting BMI, but she was well over 400 when she began about 14 months ago & she's lost over 200 lbs. I love her videos!

Subscribing to this thread. I went to my first required support group today. Only 3 out of 10 were choosing the sleeve. There was a lot of conversation about which is better. I was 99% sleeve before, now I'm wondering if I should do RNY. My BMI is 50. I'd hate for this to not work as well as RNY. But I'm still leaning towards sleeve. I am not a diabetic, and most in the room were. There was a lot of talk about how you can cheat and gain with the sleeve and that you couldn't as easily with RNY. Decisions, decisions.....

Subscribing to this thread. I went to my first required support group today. Only 3 out of 10 were choosing the sleeve. There was a lot of conversation about which is better. I was 99% sleeve before, now I'm wondering if I should do RNY. My BMI is 50. I'd hate for this to not work as well as RNY. But I'm still leaning towards sleeve. I am not a diabetic, and most in the room were. There was a lot of talk about how you can cheat and gain with the sleeve and that you couldn't as easily with RNY. Decisions, decisions.....

Honestly, I don't believe there is a "better". Not just one anyway. My better choice might be different than yours, and somebody else will have yet another better. There's only what's right for each of us, not an absolute better.

Thank you so much for the feedback! I truly appreciate it, as I was not feeling confident in my decision but still felt like its what was the best option for me. You guys rock!

Also, big thanks to SouthernSoul can not wait to check out her youtube!

Just spent the last hour watching her. She is awesome! I had forgotten the part about stomach cancer. My gram died of pancreatic 10 years after a RNY, done for severe ulcers- not weight loss (in 1991). Her dad had colon and I lost a cousin at 42 to stomach on my dad as side. Given that history, and seeing how successful sleevers can be, I think I feel good about the decision to stay with the sleeve. Thank you for sharing less of Sarah. Quite inspiring!

I don't have much to add other than I had the sleeve. My surgery was 09.27.2013. I'm down 73 pounds. Starting weight was 410. Current weight 337. I feel like the sleeve was the best option for me. I didn't want anything rerouted.

At 423# my BMI was about 55. I went with the sleeve since it can proceed to bypass if needed, but this "bigger" procedure might not be needed...

My options remain. I am 6 months out and have lost 100# from my highest weight at 46# since surgery.

It's a tough choice. I went in to the first few months of my pre-surgery program thinking I was going to do the RNY. At about 4 months in I started to have some serious hesitations. I realized that my reservations were all related to the rerouting of the intestines. If I chose the sleeve, I could still have very similar results, but no intestinal changes. When it came down to it I realized that if the RNY would allow me to lose a few more pounds than the sleeve, but I felt more comfortable with the sleeve, then I would go with what I felt best about. In the end they are both just "tools" and losing that extra 10 pounds is now up to me. .....if that makes sense....lol. I have never for one minute regretted it.

My point is not to say that you should have the sleeve, but that you should figure out what YOU feel most comfortable with, and go with that. In the end, neither one of them alone will get you to goal....YOU working with your choice will get you there! :-)

BMI 54. My doctor's result are that his sleeve patients are within 3% of the RNY for excess weight loss, but with much fewer complications. He also thinks that sleevers will do better long term because the hungry hormone is lessened with the sleeve. I chose sleeve because I don't want to experience dumping and believe our bodies work best when our nutrients are absorbed. Friends have had the sleeve and the combination of not feeling hungry and limited portions have been keys to success weight loss.