Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My surgeon is a horrible person

That's it. After my year appointment I left my surgeons office in tears. Hell I was crying while talking to the S.O,B. It's time for me to write everything down and see an attorney to see if I have a case. First he sent me out of the hospital despite me begging to stay another day because I couldn't keep down the 4 oz of a Fluid an hour that he "demands of all his patients" and I was constantly, I mean nonstop heaving. He also did no leak test which I was ok with because his theory made sense: that soon after surgery the tissue is too inflamed to see if there is a hole or not. Second, one week later I went to their ER with moderate chest pain. I told them I was a patient of his one week out from surgery, they called him with the costocondritis diagnosis and he ok'd it without any scans or tests and they sent me home with some tramadol. Third, about one week after that the chest pain had gotten worse, I was miserable, and was starting to vomit again because he wouldn't refill my zofran. That's when they found the "abscess" in my abdomen and scheduled me for emergency exploratory surgery the following morning. They found nothing but an abscess then, they suctioned it out and put in a JP drain. After they went inside they found MRSA and I am now a carrier. There were several small incidents during my month in the hospital that really need to be written down but it's already on another thread here and I really don't feel like typing it all right now. (:P) After several several tests and about a full week later they finally diagnosed me with a leak and I was on TPN strict NPO for the month to let it heal. The only other option was a stent. He would do nothing else. During my entire month stay I was on a pain pump receiving 1 mg of morphine every six minutes. He unplugged me and sent me home cold turkey with a prescription for antibiotics and 2 days worth of tylox. During my DTs I almost ended up returning to the ER but I refused to go back. After that I developed a mass at my drain site that was warm to the touch and very painful, I called him on the phone (as instructed by his nurses) and while talking to him my drain site popped open and began self draining the MRSA filled fluid that was building up. Almost immediately the pressure was gone and he said, "well there we go. Anything else? No? Good. I guess if it becomes too much for you to control with home bandaging you could come in to the ER goodbye" *click* Fourth- my follow up appointment, I didn't see him, I saw his nurse practitioner. Part of me was relieved because at least she's nice but wouldn't you think a surgeon should see his first sleeve leak patient just a couple weeks out of surgery? Fifth strike- he didn't show up at my 6 month check up either. Yesterday was strike six. My year check up. His attitude again was unbearable. He crossed the line beyond fixing. He said the following: "the reason your fibro is bad is because you're still fat." "Your colon is going to stop functioning if you keep taking these narcotics" "your list of medications is ridiculous I think you have an addiction problem and I recommend you seek treatment and get a different doctor" "you're LYING about your pain as an excuse to not lose weight" I have gone from moderate pain to severe post op. I've had to up my meds (including antidepressants) and have been fighting with my doctors the entire way because they want me to sign up for disability and I'm only 26 and refuse to give up yet. I also have severe osteoarthritis in my hips and plans to start my series of trigger point shots so I can cut back the amount of meds I take. But that doesn't matter. He still said what he said. I'm done. My surgeon is a scumbag.

This is a terrible story. "RATE HIM" on the site!!!

I'm in Southern Indiana at had my surgery done at Schneck medical center. Now let me clarify, I will choose to go to Schneck Medical over anywhere locally. Aside from him, they are FANTASTIC! I've never had such great care from nurses and office staff. HE is the rotten apple in the bunch. Even the nurses when I was in for my month stay said he treats them poorly most days. I even love his nurse practitioner. It's just unfortunate that he's the only surgeon in their Bariatric program.

Edited by lizv123

That's just awful. You need to find another bariatric surgeon who can help you. This isn't right. I'm so sorry you're having to go through this. Maybe someone near you who is on the forum can recommend someone.

Good luck

OMG - my heart just broke for you. I hope you find a good attorney to-- if nothing else -- make this guy accountable. I HATE people that are so afraid of litigation that they wash their hands of you -- it sounds like in addition to being an offensive human, that's what he is.

Nobody deserves to be treated as you were. I am sorry that you had to go through that.

I once had a bad experience with a Doctor and I went on a website that let's patients rate and review their doctors and I wrote an honest review about my experience and how I felt about how I was treated by him and I found I was not the only one to have such a horrible experience he later moved his practice as word got out how he treated his patients.

There is certainly an issue and should be reported to the board for sure. IDK if there is a malpractice case there, but it wouldn't hurt to contact an attorney.

I assume you have your reasons for not posting the Doctors name in this post, but if this is all factual (and I believe it is) then there is no legal reason not to name him. It wold be great for others on the site to use this information to help them choose their Dr.

I did look at your profile and see it listed there, but in the post would help others.

My 2 cents :)

Good luck, I hope you are able to get past this quickly.

Liz....I have been following you since you first joined. I don't know how you've always managed to be upbeat and optimistic considering the hell you've been through since the beginning. I'm so sorry this experience has not gone well for you. I hope it turns around for you very soon.

And yes that surgeon should be throat punched.

I assume you have your reasons for not posting the Doctors name in this post, but if this is all factual (and I believe it is) then there is no legal reason not to name him. It wold be great for others on the site to use this information to help them choose their Dr. I did look at your profile and see it listed there, but in the post would help others. My 2 cents :) Good luck, I hope you are able to get past this quickly.

Legal reasons :) an opposing attorney could subpoena (sp?) me for social media passwords, etc. In fact I have to go through and delete EVERYTHING with his name.

Anyone interested, however, can email me : lizv123@gmail.com and I can share more information. But I can say I'm located in southern Indiana to help narrow it down :)

Liz....I have been following you since you first joined. I don't know how you've always managed to be upbeat and optimistic considering the hell you've been through since the beginning. I'm so sorry this experience has not gone well for you. I hope it turns around for you very soon. And yes that surgeon should be throat punched.

Well I have 2 options: 1- be upbeat and take it in stride 2- maniacal rampage followed by imploding.

I'm not ready for the second option yet :P

I'm more into ripping off his facial hair and mounting it on my nightstand so I can see it before I sleep :D

You, my dear, need to go and speak to a lawyer.. and a good one...

Sorry for your horrendous trouble. My EMT fiance and I send you are absolute best x

Omg, I can't even rap my head around what you've been through. My thoughts and prayers are and will be with you.