Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pear shaped succes. Is it possible?

I'm so inspired by everyone's stories. I'm curious though, about how successful those Pear Shaped post ops have done. I've always been very disporportioned with more junk in the trunk than most. I also have severe varicose veins and lymph edema that has been there, even when I was a normal weight (3rd grade???). I definitely inherited "thick legs" which improve with weight loss diets but not much. If I've lost 40 pounds before, it's usually in my face, breast and waist. The swelling and pain in my legs is better from diuretics but I don't see it ever getting tons better. Would love to know how others have done. A success story would really give me the extra confidence that this is the right thing. There are so many benefits of massive weight loss that, even if I never lose my tree trunks, it will still be better than what I have now (pain and worsening mobility). I see so many before and after pics but everyone had shapely legs to begin with. Just curious if there is a difference in what to expect in regards to # lost?

Great question..

I moved your thread out of the vets section and to an more appropriate area. :)

I'm more pear shape than anything else, my thighs are definitely not my best feature out of clothes.

I've lost the weight for the most part, but if I wanted to have "perfect" or better thighs I would need plastic surgery. I look ok in clothes but there will be no bikini modeling for me!

Thanks for moving it - I wondered where to put it. I was just curious and I'd love to be reassured that weight comes off of every body part. Over the years I've gained all over. I'm 45, BMI of 50 - HW 325, CW 314 goal 155. At age 24, when I weighed 190 (after a 40 # loss) I looked and felt pretty good but was still 2 sizes bigger on bottom than top. After kids, I gained weight all over. My hips/knees/ankles are just dying. I gave up the dream that I'd ever have normal legs many years ago, now, I'm focused on health and pain, but it'd sure be nice to wear shorts or a skirt again.

Great questions Jens.... I also have pretty thick legs... even when I was thin they were thick and stumpy. I hope some others will weigh in on this topic and let us know what to expect regarding the leg issue. I know every person is different and everyone loses differently but having hope and seeing light at the end of a long dark tunnel sure makes one more confident in the possible results of this surgery. I am praying for an over all weight loss and one where my lady parts stick out further than my gut. LOL Take care and thanks for opening up this discussion.

Thanks for moving it - I wondered where to put it. I was just curious and I'd love to be reassured that weight comes off of every body part. Over the years I've gained all over. I'm 45, BMI of 50 - HW 325, CW 314 goal 155. At age 24, when I weighed 190 (after a 40 # loss) I looked and felt pretty good but was still 2 sizes bigger on bottom than top. After kids, I gained weight all over. My hips/knees/ankles are just dying. I gave up the dream that I'd ever have normal legs many years ago, now, I'm focused on health and pain, but it'd sure be nice to wear shorts or a skirt again.

I'm 47 and the thighs have seen better days. They are a little (ok a lot) deflated looking ..

But most definitely I feel better. I had planter fasciitis, I was at a point that walking was excruciating.. It's an non issue now.

I walk up escalators now instead of standing.

I can run up my stairs with out hurting oh And without feeling like a heart attack will strike at any moment :P

Definitely will be watching this post! I also am pear shaped. Always had thighs, hips, and rear! I'm 5 weeks out and can tell I've lost in my legs but my rear end hasn't changed (of course I can't see it like other ppl can) I'm down 29.5 lbs. The stalls r killing me! I still wear same size blue jeans they're just a little roomier now lol. I can tell mostly when I put my scrubs on.

Well there is hope for you all. I am 1 yr post-op and a lot of my weight lost was in my legs. Never and I mean never had small legs. Now they are thinner than when I was a teen and weighed 140 lbs. during the initial loss I had a hard time finding slacks tight enough in the legs. My body was bigger than my legs proportion wise. Now I can wear a 14 slacks and they fit my legs nicely. I can cross my legs like a super model LOL. Best of luck.

I am also pear shaped. I had a "shelf" butt that was my worst feature. I was so sure that I would lose all of my weight and still have my shelf. To my delight, it was one of the first places I lost weight. I am ecstatic that I can wear clothes that do not camouflage my tush area. I also have larger legs and I notice they are going down as I lose but it is also where I have the most hanging skin. I definitely see plastic surgery in my future. Overall, very happy with the way my body is losing. I will still have my curves and I am great with that.

Well, though not of a female persuasion, can I add...?

Some (much) of our basic shape comes from our genes, and we are stuck with that! We also change as we normally age. So, we'll be healthy but not all of us will be models for Aberchrombie...

Good to know and I am glad others saw a decrease in "the shelf". I think curves are beautiful, and to a large degree, degree, hope to keep mine but I'm just so hopeful to see results in my legs. Not for any aesthetic reasons but more so because of the severe pain with the varicose veins, arthritis and lymph edema. I've never, even as a child, had well proportioned legs. I remember trying to find ski boots that fit, nearly impossible. In 4th grade, I fantasizes about being able to replace my lower half of my body to match the top, like there might be some futuristic science project. My legs are what people stare at. Total strangers have walked up to me to ask what's wrong with them. So, I guess what I'm trying to say, is.... As accepting and at peace as I've had to become about my legs, it sure would be nice to know that I would see results in that area too. Exercise would definitely help. And I'm going to look into compression garments to use after surgery.

I am a pear and have all the glory that comes with it: a shelf butt, saddle bags on the thighs, varicose veins and big calves. After losing 85 lbs since DOS I no longer have a shelf. In fact my butt seems to have sunk down to my thighs. I do still have saddle bags (dang it!-though they are much smaller) and still have to wear wide calf boots. Here's few photos of the journey.

Shelf butt- oye!

post-161802-0-69995600-1386828214_thumb.jpg

It's getting smaller

post-161802-0-20176600-1386828329_thumb.jpg

Now, still a pear but a much more proportionate one!

post-161802-0-34148400-1386828540_thumb.jpg

Congrats! You are gorgeous!

Erp... those photos are great. You look wonderful. Perfect just as you are.

Thanks for the kind words! Exercise helps our shape immensely. I alternate strength training and cardio workout days.

Edited by erp

I am too a pear shaped girl who has always had thick legs and the butt to match. My shelf butt issue went away fairly quickly but I have definitely lost more on top than the bottom half. I have gone from a 2x top to a large and 20/22 to a 14/16. I know that exercising more will help and I have read many times that pear shapes are more healthier than other shapes. It will even out eventually. But I am skeptical that I will ever have those hot legs! I am hoping ;)