Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Think before you eat... Something we all know about but do we really do it?

I recently heard of a story where a woman who had undergone Sleeve Gastrectomy surgery had eaten a whole cheeseburger 2 weeks after her surgery and her stomach erupted and she unfortunately passed away. So this leads me to think about how many times I eat something without thinking. We all had this surgery for a reason, so why would we want to detriment ourselves like that? This was a tragic story that I heard and I wanted to share it not to scare anyone but to enforce the think before we eat for all of us even myself. I wanted to post this for all sleeved persons so that we as a community can come together and make sure that no matter how far we are into our journey that we will always think before we eat something that might not be good for our sleeves. Please if you have nothing nice to say don't say it at all. Thank you!

Yes, it goes to show that our surgeons know what they're talking about when they give us guidelines to follow. This is terribly tragic and I hope this post helps us to remember to think before we eat. Thanks for sharing lj :)

I dont always do it right, but i try to practice "mindful eating". Mindful meaning that i try to be "present " while eating...paying attention to what i am eating, and why i am eating it.

This is s good topic since its the holiday season.

Thanks for the reminder about mindful eating. Lately I find myself eating because I am "entitled", not necessarily because I am hungry. Promise to self: eat mindfully.

So sad... Thank you for sharing

I am not for a moment disagreeing with your message however I need to call urban myth on the cheeseburger story. It is one of those "links please" moments for me. I did read one news article on a woman post bypass who ate so much that she choked because the food backed up but nothing about his cheeseburger story (it has come up before on these boards).

I may be wrong, I am open to that :-) but I do suspect it is more scaremongering than fact.

That said, I am also a huge advocate for mindfulness in all that we do, especially eating.

I am not for a moment disagreeing with your message however I need to call urban myth on the cheeseburger story. It is one of those "links please" moments for me. I did read one news article on a woman post bypass who ate so much that she choked because the food backed up but nothing about his cheeseburger story (it has come up before on these boards).

I may be wrong, I am open to that :-) but I do suspect it is more scaremongering than fact.

That said, I am also a huge advocate for mindfulness in all that we do, especially eating.

I agree with the likely urban myth. That being said - eating a whole cheeseburger after surgery is just plain idiotic!!

I agree with the likely urban myth. That being said - eating a whole cheeseburger after surgery is just plain idiotic!!

It is idiotic but several people on and off the forums here and at the other forums struggle with the mental aspects post op.

I don't think it really matters if this is myth or not. He had a good intention behind this and means to help others by possibly making them thunk twice.

For myself, I think twice have for many years. But it does take practice for food addicts like myself.

Some don't care about post op plans and will eat what they want when they want. They show up here every so often.

This reminder is a helpful one for at least myself.

While I fully respect your opinion this is an actual event that occurred.

It is idiotic but several people on and off the forums here and at the other forums struggle with the mental aspects post op.

I don't think it really matters if this is myth or not. He had a good intention behind this and means to help others by possibly making them thunk twice.

For myself, I think twice have for many years. But it does take practice for food addicts like myself.

Some don't care about post op plans and will eat what they want when they want. They show up here every so often.

This reminder is a helpful one for at least myself.

Thank you for your support with my forum post.

Found this. It's from the Daily Mail newspaper (not very reputable) but the coroners verdict was lodged in Cornwall, UK..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2159155/Obese-woman-suffocates-food-gastric-bypass-surgery-meant-couldn-t-fit-stomach.html

Idk if its true either but I get the point . I will say this, last night I wandered onto a topic on this site, not sure the title but it made me click it. It was a guy who was sayn that he was 5 wks postop and can eat an entire steak n named a few other things, and said hes doing it wo any troubles! He stated that he's lost x amount of weight, it was a lot, and he had a before/after of himself. He says that he can eat whatever he wanted to bc the key to success lay w being in the gym and hes there a lot. I congratulated his wl and said, u shud b careful w ur new tummy, n just bc u can doesn't mean u shud but gl. After reading others who tried giving him sound advice about killing himself and ripping the surgery line and following the stages, I unsubscribed. So its possible that if he keeps eating that way, he'll kill himself bc being only 5 weeks out, how can he not, God forbid, but he's been warned.

A whole steak at 5 weeks?! Yikes. Sure he wasn't confused and actually had that bariatric 'hypnotherapy'?!

At 5 weeks.. I was eating.. well.. fresh air and a mouthful of very little!

Lol, I actually had to reread, weeks or months bc som1 told him that they are barely eating out of the pureed stages at 3 months my h less a steak at 5 wks. But yes, it said weeks! I'm trying to find the post now...he says steak, fried foods somthn about drinkn an amt in 5'. Titled I'm 5 wks out and can eat anything I want.

Edited by DeezJeanz

As a surgical Icu nurse I have personally cared for several patients who ruptured their staple line due to non compliance with the post op diet. The most memorable ate 1/2 a chicken, the other a Big Mac. Both died of overwhelming infection after a long terrible fight. I've said it before but there is more at risk than not losing weight. It's one thing to cheat yourself with high calorie foods that meet the consistency guidelines, it's another to make a crazy choice. Strict compliance until the sleeve is totally healed isn't optional, doing otherwise is playing Russian roulette with your life.