Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Almost 5 Weeks Out And I Can Eat Anything

I'm currently almost 5 weeks out and I can eat anything from from steak to fried foods (which I only tried not apart of my diet) I can drink a 20oz bottle of Water in 5-6mins I can drink 12oz of Protein in the same I can do 100 to 120 grams of protein a day if I choose.... My start weight was 430 I'm currently 345 or less haven't weighed myself in a week....I mentally died on the operating table and was reborn in the recovery room making the most out of my second chance at life....I don't count calories or carbs just work hard in the gym that's the key to success

post-199075-0-52320800-1386704109_thumb.png

[ATTACH]38369[/ATTACH]

post-199075-0-09525500-1386704061_thumb.jpg

[ATTACH]38367[/ATTACH]

post-199075-0-32962600-1386704083_thumb.jpg

Edited by isleeveinjesus

Looking great! Congrats. Are you still planning on following your diet to ensure that old habits don't creep back or are you going to eat anything just in moderation along with hitting the gym?

Congrats! Uve lost almost 100 lbs in 5 wks!?! Omgsh, gr8j. Just mho, b careful still w ur eating choices bc u don't want to hurt ur tummy being so newly out! I'd love to say, if u can do it, then do it, but again b cautious. Gl and njoy the ride in its stages:))

Wow, congrats on your loss, but I gotta ask ... is this in accordance with your surgeon's instructions? Just because you CAN eat a steak 5 weeks doesn't mean you SHOULD. From what I have been told, you are risking complications by not being on a pureed diet at this stage.

You have to remember that the stomach is the mechanical part of digestion and you just had 85% of it removed. Also, there is a staple line there which has not completely healed over yet. The scar tissue is not formed and you are asking this fraction of a stomach to take on steak, one of the more difficult items to mechanically break down.

So, for long term success, you may consult what your surgeon's post op diet is and begin forming new eating habits.

Wow, congrats on your loss, but I gotta ask ... is this in accordance with your surgeon's instructions? Just because you CAN eat a steak 5 weeks doesn't mean you SHOULD. From what I have been told, you are risking complications by not being on a pureed diet at this stage. You have to remember that the stomach is the mechanical part of digestion and you just had 85% of it removed. Also, there is a staple line there which has not completely healed over yet. The scar tissue is not formed and you are asking this fraction of a stomach to take on steak, one of the more difficult items to mechanically break down. So, for long term success, you may consult what your surgeon's post op diet is and begin forming new eating habits.

I agree.. I'm 5 months out and just tried steak yesterday.

Edited by JessicaAnn

At 5 weeks I was still on a purée diet. What were your surgeons guidelines? You really shouldn't deviate for recovery reasons. It could be dangerous!

My diet consists of everything except bread Pasta rice and in steamed veggies... I'm not a steak fan so I just tried a bit and it went down great and fried foods are not what I like anymore I tried it and it went down good but the taste was not like it use to be mainly because I have to actually chew and taste...my diet consists of a premier shake 30g proteinin the morning 30mins after Breakfast then maybe a turkey sandwich for lunch a EAS protien shake for snack 45g of protien and bake fish or chicken for dinner...I run in the morning and weights at night now that my doctor release me for light weights

But all in all I think I'm doing pretty good

My surgeon's plan is "progressive" they say. I will be cleared to introduce absolutely everything back into my diet as tolerated starting week 5. I won't be pushing it because I'm not one to do that, but technically will be cleared to try anything.

I have 1 week of fluids, 3 weeks of soft and released after that.