Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Arturo Rodriguez - Any negative experiences?

Well, instead of fighting my HMO, I've decided to go to Mexico for the surgery. After careful consideration, I think I've settled on Dr. Arturo Rodriguez. But, I was wondering... has anyone had a negative experience with him? I just want to be sure I've done my research. So far, all I have found is positive, so I want to be sure nothing has been overlooked.

Thanks,

I was banded by Dr. A. Rodriguez, and I think he's wonderful. I've also heard very good things about Dr. Rumbault (sp?) in Mexico.

I decided to go back to Monterrey on 8/27 to get my first fill because I really wanted Dr. Rodriguez to do it. I made the round trip to Monterrey in a day and it all went very well.

I'll probably go back to Monterrey for future fills as well.

If you have any specific questions about Dr. Rodriguez, you can email me and I can try to answer them based on my own experience.

You can also email Deborah deborahb26@yahoo.com if you haven't already done so. She can help you with anything that you need.

Good luck in all of your future decisions! :D

Thanks for letting me know that you had a positive experience. Everything I've heard so far has been very good. I guess, I'll keep waiting to see if anyone has had any problems that I should be aware of.

By the way, I see that you have the Swedish band. Do you know where I can find information about the various bands, and what the pros and cons are of each one? Why did you choose the Swedish band?

Thanks,

Kim,

My husband and I did a lot of research on the different bands before we made our decision.

Basically, they're all pretty much the same but there are some minor pros and cons about every one.

The Inamed Lapband is the most commonly used band in the U.S. It has a fill capacity of 4.0 or 5.0cc's, but I believe that Inamed has come out with a new band that's fillable to 10cc's.

The Swedish band made by Johnson and Johnson, not yet FDA approved (Target date of December for FDA Approval) is a larger band that holds 10.0 - 11.0cc's.

Dr. Rodriguez prefers the Swedish band but will place any band you wish. Dr. R. said that the Swedish band allows him to work with the band easier during surgery if surgical adjustments need to be made.

Just do all the research you can. My husband (Laserjock) will be able to answer more questions about the difference in bands since he's the one that really researched it for weeks.

Just pm or email me if you have any specific questions, I'll try my best to answer them.

Wow! Thanks for the speedy response!

I've been searching the archives, to see if I can find out more about the various bands. I see that the Inamed band has less fill volume than the Swedish band. But, the diameter of the Inamed band is smaller. I have a couple of questions that maybe you or your husband can answer (since you've done so much research already!):

Has anyone ever found that they couldn't get enough restriction with the Inamed band?

Since the Inamed band has less fill capacity, does it give less restriction?

Just so I'm understanding this right... the Swedish band has a larger diameter and a larger fill capacity, so it would take more fill to get the same restriction as the Inamed band, correct?

Since the Swedish band has more of a range for fills, does it take more fills to find the "sweet spot" I hear so much about?

Since the Swedish band is larger in diameter than the Inamed band, does that mean that you would have lest post-op restriction than you would with the Inamed band? From what I've read, you shouldn't expect any restriction with either band until you've had your first fill, but I've seen several people post that they haven't needed their first fill for months after the surgery. Is this true for the Swedish band?

Guess that's it for now! Thanks for all of your help!

You ask a lot of good questions....

I really don't think that there is a clear answer in that everyone seems to respond to the band in their own little way.

For instance, like you said, some people don't require a fill for a few months after having the band. Some like myself, felt no restriction after getting the band and have already had a fill one month after surgery.

I even saw someone post on this board that had her first fill 2 weeks after surgery, I didn't think they would do an adjustment that soon after surgery, but every doctor and every patient is different.

How your body will react to the band is yet to be determined. Dr. Rodriguez filled me to 5cc's (for my first fill) which seems like an awful lot, but another one of his patients might not require so much. I feel restriction now, which is wonderful. Some days I feel a little more restriction than others. I think this is one reason why people tend to name their bands, they really do have their own personalities :D

Just do as much research as you can about the different kinds of bands, talk to Dr. Rodriguez or any other health care professional that has experience with the different types of bands and make your own decision based on what you feel is best for you. Like I said, I don't think you can go wrong with whatever band you chose, they're all basically the same and ultimately have the same purpose.

BTW -

Congratulations on your decision. I remember how excited and happy I was once I made the choice to have the band. It couldn't come soon enough for me. If you've already decided to have the band, then you're already 1/2 the way there! :D

I have the Inamed band that hold 4cc's. Currently I have 2cc's in my band. I'm 5 months post op today and I have great restriction with 2cc's/ I am down 48.5 lbs. This 2nd fill I had 3 weeks ago I have all ready lost 8.5 pounds from it . Everyone is so different though withtheir restriction level. Also I had restriction before I had my first fill. I lost 20lbs before my first fill and had my first fill 9 weeks post op. In making your decision on which band remember to keep in mind your after care. I f you go with the Swedish band and plan to go to Dr. Rodriguez for after care thats great but if you chose the Swedish Band and dont plan on going to Mexico for aftercare just make sure you have a doctor in your are who is familiar with the Swedish band for your aftercare. More US docs are familiar with the Inamed band then the Swedish, that is what I was told.Regardless of what band you chose if you do not plan to have aftercare in Mexico for fills & etc..make sure ahead of time you have found a doctor who will take you on as a Mexico patient. Many doctors will not take on Mexican patients. Good Luck to you

The new Inamed band is called the Vanguard band and it accomodates the larger BMI's but is also used in others. It sounds as if it is an improvement upon the original 9cm band. The documentation shows that is has more adjustability regardless of the BMI.

Check this link out, there are photos on page 2.

http://www.gisurgery.net/OverviewObesityBariatricSurgery.pdf

Aftercare is quite a challenge in the states unless your doc helps you set it up beforehand. I wouldn't even just take someone's word for it. I'd make sure I saw my potential follow up doc if I didn't intend to travel to Mexico (which could be quite a job if you're in an emergency situation) BEFORE my surgery.

Another thing - you may find some radiologists who will fill a Swedish band, but docs in the states will not touch a band that has not been FDA approved.

Good luck to you!

It is so interesting how individual everyone's experience is. Funny how some of the American Drs. have a schedule as to when the first fill will be, and how much they'll fill. How could they possibly know???

I guess one of my concerns is that with the smaller Inamed band, is it possible to ever get to the point where you can't get any more restriction? Is it possible that you could run out of room to fill? Or, is it that when it reaches its maximum fill capacity, the restriction is nearly to the point of being completely closed off? I would hate to get to a certain point where I knew that I could never get any more fills.

Also, once you get to your goal weight, does the doctor take some of the fill out so you have less restriction?

I am so excited to have finally said, "yes, I am going to get banded." Unfortunately, I have to hold off on the surgery until January. My business is really busy over the holidays, and being the president of the company, I can't be out of commission at all during that time. Things get really busy around October 1st, and then completely nutso by mid-November. Just in case my recovery took any longer than expected, I can't have the surgery until after the holidays. It is SOOOOOOO hard to wait!!!!

You'll find that there are lots of new docs jumping on the 'band'wagon, so to speak. So much so that the protocols for post-ops is really getting strange. A fill schedule is probably not worth the time it took to think it up. There is no way a person should have a fill on a certain day or week or even a certain amount at a time. I really believe this is going to cause some real bad publicity/gossip about the band itself. These people are not staying within the guidelines of the Inamed handbook, but making up their own rules and it's costing a lot of people some big misery. This band is far more sophisticated than that.

The people at Inamed told me that they are really stressing patient follow up at their seminars, but it seems they may not have been specific enough about what the patient really needs. It's scaring me, some of the post op diets I'm hearing about and these fill schedules. Very scary indeed...

Kimster..how much weight do you need or want to lose?

My goal was 95 pounds and I'm halfway there in 5 months with 2cc's so I have room for 2 more cc's. I honestly feel that I will get to goal before I reach 4cc's. I do not see myself getting a fill any time in the near future..I think with this last fill I have hit the "sweet spot" everyone mentions. The wieght is coming off with minimal effort. I often wonder about the same thing...once you reach goal do they remove some of the fill or do you just continue with the same fill level.

Goal weight... well, I suppose that all depends...

Once, about 12 years ago, I got down to 140-145 on NutriSystem. Seven long months of fake food. I didn't eat a single bite of anything off the program for the entire 7 months. No birthday cake, no Halloween candy, no holiday dinners. I even took my little microwavable trays with me to restaurants, and asked them to heat them up for me so I could enjoy a meal out with friends. Craziness! But, I loved being 145!!!

So, if I were to get to 145, I'd have to lose about 150 pounds. I've never been this heavy in my life, and it is really scary. I feel like I've finally got something to look forward to -- like I have a chance at regaining control over my body -- and it is a great thing.

However, if I can't get down to 145, I'd be thrilled to be able to shop in "normal" stores (not Lane Bryant). That would mean getting rid of about 100 pounds or more.

Everything I've read says I should expect to lose about 50% of my excess weight, more if I'm lucky. So, at that, I'd be down 75 pounds. Not my goal weight, but my quality of life would be so much better.

So, there are my goals! But, I know in my heart that if anyone can take off all of their weight with the band, I CAN DO IT!!! I am one of the most tenacious, driven people you will ever meet. I know I can do it! With the band helping me, I know I can get where I want to be!

Best of luck to you, Kim! I think "bullheadedness" comes in pretty handy some times. It sounds like you have realistic goals and that you will be a great Bandster.:D

Guest DebiS

Kim, first off best of luck to you and your upcoming surgery! I am having mine on Sept 23rd but with Dr. Aceves in Mexico. My friend went to him and a few others and he was just great.

My reason for posting here really is about the different type of bands. Tonight I was reading around and read about this girl that went to Mexico and came back and had some problems or something... maybe just a check up, come to find out she didnt have a BAND!

Not sure what she got or what happen!

But to everyone your Doctor should be able to give you a Certif. along with a serial number if you have a Inamed band . Dr. Aceves gives you this along with a card to keep in your wallet. Personally I want the best and feel the Inamed is. But then again that is just my 2 cents Research ... Research!!

Take care!