Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Portland, Oregon

Justin 15 24

I saw him a few weeks ago. He sits down and talks with you about the surgery. He is very straightforward about how he feels if someone is not taking this seriously. Make sure you have lost weight, the more the better. This shows your seriousness. I had lost 15 and he made me feel it wasn't good enough. He told me that I needed to lose more before surgery. He did schedule me though. He said he has had patients who gained weight before the surgery and he cancelled it. Any specific questions I'd be more then happy to answer.

I do think that they cancel if you gain. They take a no nonsense approach. I had to go through the holidays and not gain and that was really a challenge for sure.

Just wanted to weigh in (heh) and let you know there's another PDXer who recently had wls.

I was sleeved on May 19 by Dr. Tersigni in Coos Bay. Although I am on Kaiser, my particular plan did not cover bariatric surgery. But my Kaiser PCP was quite supportive, and all my pre-surgical tests were on Kaiser's dime.

So far, so good. Big thumbs' up for Tersigni and his staff. I was a self-pay patient, and I did not spend the night in the hospital. I have very little pain, although the incision sites are a little sore. Some fatigue. I'm finding it difficult to both stay hydrated and get my daily Protein - but am managing with Isopure and some other high-Protein drinks.

Anybody know if the Kaiser post-surgical support group meets at work-friendly times? There are a couple others in the area, but I really don't want to take off too much additional time from work.

-sacman

Welcome Mila.

So what's your story? Are you getting ready to have surgery or have you already done it? Although I post in the Portland thread, I'll be moving shortly to Walla Walla to go back to school. So this thread can be for anyone with any connection to Portland.

I'm another considering surgery - have a first consult scheduled in 2 weeks in Spokane.

I live in Walla Walla though - if you find or start a support group in the area once you move Eli Alexander, Id be interested in joining. Maybe even just getting coffee or something.

Pretty new on this journey and essentially scared out of my mind.

I met with Dr. Leger and my surgery is now scheduled for August 7th. I will have an afternoon of pre-op education from the nutritionist Brenda and the case manager Teri followed by a 2nd meeting with Dr. Leger on July 10. Then on July 23 a shorter pre-op physical exam at Kaiser West side (closer to my work). 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after surgery I'm supposed to go on a liquid diet. I'll report back here what I learn. Very exciting time for me as I'm looking forward to the next steps in my journey.

I met with Dr. Leger and my surgery is now scheduled for August 7th. I will have an afternoon of pre-op education from the nutritionist Brenda and the case manager Teri followed by a 2nd meeting with Dr. Leger on July 10. Then on July 23 a shorter pre-op physical exam at Kaiser West side (closer to my work). 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after surgery I'm supposed to go on a liquid diet. I'll report back here what I learn. Very exciting time for me as I'm looking forward to the next steps in my journey.

I just had my surgery with dr. Leger. It was good. The CICU where they put you after has fantastic nurses. Was told they like gastric bypass patients as we are "easy" to care for. I had my surgery and once I got to my room I was given ice chunks. What a great thing! I got up and walked that evening. They took my blood around 430 AM that kind of sucked. I was then brought the Boost juice at around 6AM, because that is when the day starts, I guess. They said if I kept it down for 4 hours, they would be if me the regular boost. It was fine. Very sweet though. I sipped on that, once that was gone, about 2 hours later, they brought me another one. Got up and walked a few times. Then it started all over gain Sunday morning. Was discharged, after I showed them I could pee, around 11 AM. Been doing well ever since. Terri called me after 2 days home. Have my post op thursdsy and Brenda will call me on thursdsy as well to check in and get me started on soft foods. They were all great! Just don't gained and lose as much ad you can before surgery.