Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nervous Im Slipping Back ...

Hello all,

I've been sleeve now almost 6 months and I must admit that my sleeve hasn't gave me much trouble at all. The scary part is it seems like I can eat almost anything I want with no problem and I've found myself lately nibbling on things i know I shouldn't. I also feel like I'm hungry all the time . I know the sleeve is a tool and I don't want to mess up. I see old habits creeping up and wanted to just see if anyone else was going through the same and how you turned it around ?

I'm 47lbs down since July and I feel great don't want to go back ...

The first six months.. People call it "the honeymoon phase" at about this time (6 months) Your stomach if fully healed any residual swelling has gone down and it "relaxes" a bit more.

Also your hunger come back a bit.

This is where the work comes in, this is why we have to work from the first day out to change our habits.

You still have your sleeve and it's still working, you just need to get back to basics. You know the drill dense Protein and veggies, get off the carb processed stuff and you will be on the right track again.

Edited by laura-ven

Yes Laura!

Back to basics... track your food and liquid, be strict with YOUR plan, and the hardest, hardest, hardest work of all is with our own heads! You'll have to get your head in the game to win this one.

You might want to research the 5:2 plan, some find it helpful!?!

I have also bought and downloaded the 5:2 book and plan on starting the diet! I'm here with you. We can do this. Be encouraged! Back to basis For me too! Keep us posted.

Edited by Ballermom

Hello all, I've been sleeve now almost 6 months and I must admit that my sleeve hasn't gave me much trouble at all. The scary part is it seems like I can eat almost anything I want with no problem and I've found myself lately nibbling on things i know I shouldn't. I also feel like I'm hungry all the time . I know the sleeve is a tool and I don't want to mess up. I see old habits creeping up and wanted to just see if anyone else was going through the same and how you turned it around ? I'm 47lbs down since July and I feel great don't want to go back ...

Girl, 6 months is the turning point! Your stomach has finally healed and you start to feel completely normal again. BUT that doesn't mean you go back to old habits! Remember why you had WLS and how you felt before. This is the time to reinforce the new you. Being hungry all the time might be coming from the things your nibbling on. Are you nibbling on carbs? Protein first until you are satisfied and the a couple of bites of veggies. You'll find the hunger going away.

Today is my 6 months anniversary and I can't believe it has gone by so quickly!! I have been going through the same thing you are except I am not allowing myself to partake in the cravings that I am having. I am by no means perfect and not trying to look that way. I really do think this is a normal phase of the first year and a true glimpse of what the rest of our life will be. In other words, the cravings are never going to go away and once the healing has completed the fight for our new lives is on. We must deny the cravings to make the change. Some days we will be stronger than others but the change must win over the old way. The sleeve is still working and always will as long as we use what we were taught. This time of year is a bad time to have our sleeves begin the transition of feeling more hunger and realizing we can eat just about anything with little repercussion. My strategy is to not partake accept for Christmas Day and even then it will be limited. When I eat those damn carbs they actually haunt me and its like living the liquid diet and post op all over again. Screw that! I hate head hunger! Talking about this like you did today is an awesome step to help combat this slippery slippage that we all go through! I truly wish the best for you!

Edited by Beach Lover

Thank you all so much.. I always appreciate the help and encouragement I get here. It's a relief to know that it's not just me , I'm going to have to work over time to get back on track.

Thank you all so much.. I always appreciate the help and encouragement I get here. It's a relief to know that it's not just me , I'm going to have to work over time to get back on track.

You can do it! If you are having carb trouble I would really suggest that you go back to the liquid diet with a few lean meat dinners with veggies to off set it for at least a week. This will help you kick the carb cravings and help you to appreciate the good foods again. When I was doing this I found that I was craving good foods again and it helped me to make the right decisions about foods. :)

Moore... Yes do your best... But I can't "work back over time", my fat carb loving brain won't let me. This might be one of those tomes that you jump in, feet first and eyes wide open...

Yes Laura! Back to basics... track your food and liquid, be strict with YOUR plan, and the hardest, hardest, hardest work of all is with our own heads! You'll have to get your head in the game to win this one. You might want to research the 5:2 plan, some find it helpful!?!

Yep, it is, most of it, in our heads!

Our stomachs are "fixed" now we need to put the hard (but doable) work on our thoughts about food and the compulsion to eat..

5:2 is a good method but for people under a year it's really not effective because the calories are already so restricted..

Most people doing it are eating 1300+ calories a day :)