Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Discouraging 6 Month Insurance Required Diet :(

Because of my insurance I am required to do a 6 month supervised diet before I can be approved for surgery. My nutritionist wants me to lose at least 25 pounds in this 6 months. 1200 calories and less then 80 carbs. I have gotten very discouraged with my results. I have only lost about 12 pounds in over 3 months. I have completely cut out regular pop, juice, diet pop and milk (drinking almond now). I have cut back on my carbs a lot and have been trying to eat more lean meats. I have also started going to the gym 2-3 times a week. Thanksgiving kicked my a** and I fell off the wagon for this last week but I am determined to get back on. I have done numerous diets in the past but this one is kicking my butt. I am just venting and since I don't want everyone I know on Facebook knowing my struggles I figured posting here to people who understand is best. Any tips, advice or constructional criticism is greatly appreciated. :)

Kim

Are you recording everything you eat daily? Calories really sneak up on me if I don't count. Also push the Water if your not. I tell you if I don't drink my water I do not lose weight! 64oz at least a day.

Edited by laura-ven

I have to weigh and measure everything because my portions grow if I don't. I've tried to really focus on eating mindfully, being aware of every bite, chewing thoroughly, and just focusing on what I eat. It's really hard,but I'm trying to change a lifetime of habits. My nut said there are lapses and relapses. For a lapse (like what you explained), you jump right back in and keep trying. For a relapse, you just give up. Have you thought about doing the Protein shake in place of a meal?

Hi Sunrise. I know the frustration of which you speak. My insurance requires a 3 month supervised diet. At first I was pretty down about it but I have learned that it is a slow process anyway so using this time to do research, talk with other sleevers, and get myself emotionally ready for this life changing event is what I really needed. 12 pounds in 3 months is good. You have made changes that have caused you to lose weight so you should be proud of that. I think the nutritionists always tell you to lose more weight than they think you will lose so you will try harder. I mean really, If you could drop 25 or 30 pounds that easily you wouldn't need the surgery, right? I think drinking the Water is the key. It makes you feel full so you don't intend to eat as much. Also, I've found that eating Protein and veggies and very few carbs makes all the difference. Just keep doing what you are doing and it will come off. Good luck.

Those 25 pounds you lose will be the most difficult part of this entire journey. I am two weeks sleeved and had the same 6 month restrictions. Thank goodness I was on target with my weight loss and got the surgery. Now, although challenging, the weight is falling off! You have got to get through the next 3 months and lose those 13 pounds and you will never have these struggles again. It is a small price to play for a lifetime of great eating habits!

Sorry all this seems stressful to you! You need to look at the positives as well and feel blessed that your surgery will be covered at some extent through your insurance depending on your company. The insurance company are covering your surgery and they want you to have a successful outcome. Lot's of barriers to overcome but a lot of people went through the same experience and did very well! This is a great benefit to you in the long run! Feel blessed and you will succeed..... This surgery isn't a miracle it won't change your head hunger etc... as it's only a tool! A good tool ;0)

Every time you fall, get back up... and keep 'up' a little longer each time.

Thank you all for your encouragement! I am very grateful that my insurance covers the procedure almost 100% because I have never had insurance. I am back on the wagon and will be going to work out and get some fresh produce Monday when I get off work. Like one of you said, it's only 6 months for a life time of health. I can't get enough advice and all is welcome. Thanks again! :)

Are you recording everything you eat daily? Calories really sneak up on me if I don't count. Also push the Water if your not. I tell you if I don't drink my Water I do not lose weight! 64oz at least a day.

I heard if you drink water every time you feel hungry it helps. I guess now that I add it up I am not getting 64 oz daily and time to go back to the dreaded calorie counting. Thanks for the advice!

Thanks, Arts! I'm back on it and determined to stay on it.

So this 25 pounds......it's your nutritionist's goal but NOT an insurance requirement, right? If so, you'll be fine. The 6 month diet is a great way to make the needed changes before surgery. I used every month of mine to change my diet, increase exercise, and practice some post op stuff. I'm about 4 months post op but haven't had caffeine or carbonation in almost 10. It makes your post op SO much easier! During my 6 months I think I only lost 15 pounds....and most of that was during the 2 week preop diet I had.

Don't expect any miracles during those 6 months because it's not gonna happen. Just keep your eyes on the prize. You sound like you're doing great so far! The holidays are rough on everyone. I avoided the Thanksgiving temptations because I was at work but I already dread Christmas. Just going to the grocery store is torture right now lol

Thanks, Arts! I'm back on it and determined to stay on it.

There ya go, angel!!!

I too had a 6 month wait and 20 pounds to lose. I've lost about 25 and just found out I've been approved. I was walking 2+ miles a day and drinking a shake for Breakfast or lunch. Good luck to you! Things go by quick twards the end.

I too had a 6 month wait and 20 pounds to lose. I've lost about 25 and just found out I've been approved. I was walking 2+ miles a day and drinking a shake for Breakfast or lunch. Good luck to you! Things go by quick twards the end.

I sure hope so! The end of this month will be my 4th appointment already. So since I started, it has gone by fast but sitting here thinking about how long I still have it seems like forever! Lol