Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will I Be Able To Go Back To School 3 Days After My Surgery?

Since my PCP is taking his sweet time getting my letter of medical necessity to my Surgeon and my Surgeon won't schedule me until I have all of my requirements fufilled first. So, with that, I will need to have the date scheduled in order to submit paperwork for leave at work, which must be handed in at LEAST 30 days in advance. I MAY have to schedule my surgery 3 days before I have to return to school for my spring semester. I have read that 2-3 days may be okay, is this true or should I expect missing the first few days of classes?

I took 2 weeks off

My daughter had hers about 4 yrs ago at age 39. She had the procedure, went home from the hospital that day which was a Friday and returned to work on Mon. She has 6 children and works full time. I had mine on Nov 13th at age 62, spent the night in hosp, came home and had dry heaves during the night but was better next morning. I had to take it easy for a week and felt better into the next week. I was sore but did not need pain meds at all. Each person's body is different.Hard to say how yours will handle it and for every person, I would say it is diferent.Have you ever been put to sleep for another surgery and how did you recover from that? I don't consider this major surgery but anytime one is put to sleep it is somewhat of a stress on the body. I'm sure you will get lots of different opinions here and none of them are probably wrong, we just all have different bodies and reactions. Best of luck, I know you will be successful.

Depends on the individual.....

I took a week off from work....by the 3rd day after surgery I was getting cabin fever..had to get out and do something....went to the store, stopped by my Office, etc....but I do not think I could have put in a full 8 hours of work.....

As everyone says, each individual is different.My sugeon, who had surgery done in Mexico, siad he had his on Friday, and was in performing surgery on Monday! I don't think I was that ready! But you never know! Best wishes. Karen

I will be totally honest with you. I felt great and was back on my feet as soon as I got home from the hospital after a one night stay.

I was up and driving but if you take any kind of public transportation to school or have to carry any books or back pack you need more than 3 days.

If you are going to be able to drive yourself and not have to go too far to get to the class and you are going to sit there and not have to carry much you should be OK if you are OK a couple days after surgery. Though you may be tired often and need to rest if you go back full bore.

If you can take the full week before you put yourself back into the fray. Contact the professors of your classes and see if you can miss the first few and/or make the work at home online, let them know you had surgery, you don't need to say what kind if you don't wish to.

If all else fails, wait for your Spring Break and schedule at that time if you can.

The more time you give yourself to heal and get your strength back the better you will do. I pushed myself too far too fast and regretted it after.

Best of luck to you!!!

I agree, it's a very individual thing. I took 3 weeks off work and then did a week of half days (5 hours).

I hope you will be able to take off as much time as you can -- more than 3 days, hopefully. You need to give your body the very best care and the very best opportunity to heal. That includes a balance rest and being up and active, exercise walking when you are able.

I changed to eating organic food, as well.

No one can really accurately answer your question about how soon you can get back to your regular schedule. But I have heard of people having it on Friday after work and going back to work on Monday (there is no way I could have done that!). I tend to think that is rare, but I really don't know.

I hope it works out great for you!

I'm sure you will do the best you can with what you have to work with :)

~hiddn

I don't plan to go back to work for a week or two. I just don't want to miss classes since the ones I'm taking are going to be pretty intense

I carried on my duties the next day including driving my car. I did take a couple of days off leading into a weekend to rest. But I actually had NO problems returning to work if needed.

I had my surgery done on Tuesday, November 26th and didn't go back to work until Monday the 2nd. I feel I could have gone to work on Friday, but I was off because of Thanksgiving. Most likely you would be fine, driving to school and sitting through a class depending how long it is, you may need to get up and walk in between if it's a long seesion. Just make sure to not carry anything heavy. You may have to leave your books behind and just bring a notebook.

Everyone does adjust differently however, so you may have to just use your judgement when the time comes. Maybe notify your teachers that you are having surgery and could potentially miss class, but that you will try to be there as long as you are feeling well. I'm sure they would understand. Or as someone aboved mentioned maybe reschedule to have the surgery done over spring break.

Best wishes and Good luck!

I had surgery on a Thursday and was perfectly able to work Monday. However, I work from home so I was more or less on my couch answering emails and phone calls. A commute might have been harder, but I was certainly even capable of that within a few days to a week. I was also relatively healthy to begin with and had been working out for about 2 months prior to surgery. I really think that helped a lot.

Good luck!

You never really know until the time comes and you see how you feel. My surgery was on a. Thursday. I worked 1/2 days on Monday and Tuesday and back to full day on Wednesday. I was exhausted!!! LOL