Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If You've Had Duodenal Switch Surgery Share...

I am thinking of having the switch. Do you recommend it over tHe switch? I know it is a personal decision. Just looking for some help.

I am very interested in the DS surgery. However, I am still wondering if people that have had it would still choose it over the sleeve.

I am very interested in the DS surgery. However, I am still wondering if people that have had it would still choose it over the sleeve.

I am going to have surgery for the DS in under 3 weeks, but I can tell you why I chose the duodenal switch over the sleeve. Firstly, the DS has the best track record of keeping the weight off permanently (so long as you adhere to Vitamin regimen and limit carbs). Secondly, with only a sleeve, the stomach will stretch and I would have to diet the rest of my life - the malabsorption of the DS limits that! Thirdly, I have over 150 lbs to lose, while nothing is a guarantee, I have a better chance of loosing all of my excess weight with the DS. The sleeve would hopefully get me 100 lbs lighter. Lastly, while I'm not diabetic - yet - odds are I will never have to worry about being diabetic because of the DS procedure.

Hope that helps!

Thank you for the information. Please let me know how it goes.

I had the sleeve and revised to the DS. It's the superior surgery, in my opinion, and I don't regret having it at all.

Yes, I would. I was too concerned about the regain issues without the full DS. Is it easy? No. There are a good many positives, but there are also negatives.

I'd say it took about 2.5 years postop till I decided I'd done the right thing for ME. It's a very personal decision that required a ton of research and soul-searching.

First post on this new site. :) I was revised from band to DS in November of '12. My pre surgery weight was 293 and now I am 189. so, 104 pounds in 14 months. I would not change a thing. I did alot of research and I also had a friend have the surgery before me so I was well informed going in. I knew I needed a surgery that was going to give me the hard lesson. I NEED to have consequences to my actions to teach me what I can and cannot eat. It's not that I don't have a brain, I know what Is and isn't good for me. I knew that with just the sleeve, my stomach could stretch and I would be right back where I was after a while. The malabsorption is something I really needed. Yes, we have loads of Vitamins to take but its better than high blood pressure pills, cholesterol meds, antidepressants, and just the overall PAIN from being so heavy.

I could have lost more by now if I had stuck to a strict diet but I had this surgery knowing that in the past (on my own and with the lap band) that anyone can lose weight on their own with a strict diet. I did not want to feel like I was on a diet for the ret of my life. (somehow I don't think this is sounding right to some people but I am trying to explain). I knew it is not a miracle cure. The head hunger will always be there. Ugh, I am rambling. I will sum it up by saying I have zero regrets. Would do it a million times over.

Hello everyone I had the DS on August 6 2013 and I wouldn't change it for anything. I have felt on days that I regretted it but I'm also having a few problems after this surgery but all in all this has made me feel great. I have lost 140lbs all together but since my surgery I've lost about 100lbs I wouldn't hangs it for the world. I cannot wait to see the rest of my progress as time goes by. I am dwn from 350 to 210lbs so that's exciting. Any advise all you vets have for newbies like me?

Hi Misswifey21,

Congratulations on your progress. What problems have you been having?

Well I now have some pretty big 5.5cm and 3.5cm tumors on my liver. I was supposed to get a biopsy but my dr doesn't want to unless there's changes in April/may when they do another MRI of my liver. Otherwise my only problems is eating too much or drinking too much too fast I'm still learning my new stomach. Lol but otherwise I'm healthy and happy :-)

I would hope that you see an MD who specializes in liver (hepatic) issues. I'm an RN and find it VERY strange that a liver Bx was not done. PLEASE get another opinion and don't wait for another MRI to see what happens. Some tumors are fast growing.

Welcome.

I can't speak to the tumors, but wish you well.

As for just DS advice, my biggest is take all your vits/minerals. And have your bloods done when your surgical team requires.

Edited by Postop

I am struggling between the DS and RNY. I travel with work about 70% of the time which means a lot of meals that I won't be preparing and will not have control of caloric inputs for those. I know that I will have to make the best decision of what is given on the menu and ask for dressing on the side and no this and no that. I have no problem with that. I am currently 320 lbs and 5'8" with BMI of 48. I buried my 46 YO brother 3 years ago due to complications of super morbid obesity and scared I will bury my sister due to the same issues if she doesn't get help as well. I am taking 3 - 4 months off the road to have surgery and let things settle in. I do not have diabetes, but I'd does run HEAVY in my family. High blood pressure, cholesterol, and sleep apnea I do suffer from. I am concerned about regain of weight, but I have been living a low carb life for many years and know that my metabolism may not change as drastically as others. Any comments or advise would be appreciated. I have read many forums, you tubed, spoke to physicians, and would really like input from some folks that live it every day!

Hi Srreeder,

Given your family history of co-morbidities, DS would be the best choice. It's got the highest rate of success and the lowest regain rate.