Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A Whole Year Of Changes - Surgiversary!

Thank you for sharing your story Bunny. My surgery is tomorrow morning and I'm pretty freaked out about it. Your story helped remind me why I'm doing this and how good the outcome can be. Still pretty scared ...

Thats totally normal Andrew. I was really freaked out the day before too. I cried, I wrote letters to my family just in case something happened, I prepared as much as I could. The hospital said I could take my xanax to help with the nerves which helped a little. But I think what helped me the most was knowing that the life ahead of me was not going to be of quality, things were not going to get better, I was scared of even more health issues that would arise. I had to do this. Living in regret was not something I wanted to do for the rest of my life. Ive got a whole new life now with so many possibilities.

Keep those positive thoughts in your head, listen to the doctors and follow the rules. Please check in and let us know how you are doing once you can after surgery. Good luck to you Andrew! We'll see you on the losers bench soon :)

One year ago today I was laying on the operating room table having 85% of my stomach removed. As scared as I was, I was more scared to stay heavy and unhealthy. I was only 42 and more unhealthy than some 60 year olds I knew. I started at 242. On my 5'4 frame, that was a lot. The list of ailments I had at age 42 was sad. I felt sorry for myself and didnt like the person I had let myself become. The only thing I could be happy for myself about was that I married my dream man 3 years prior. It was with his support and love that I came to the decision to be sleeved. It all started with being diagnosed with sleep apnea. My husband was very scared that he would come home one day and find me dead in bed. So I began researching sleep apnea treatements besides cpap. I looked into a surgery that was not covered by insurance and didnt actually have a very good success rate. As I kept researching, I started reading literature about bariatric surgery. Not as a cure for sleep apnea but in my case, with my apnea, my metabolism had pretty much stopped because I wasnt getting a recurperative sleep, I would injure myself exercising, my body was in pain from carrying around all the extra, etc. Therefore all the damage I had done to my body with the unhealthy eating I would most likely have to live with and life wasnt getting any better. Much to the contrary, it was continually getting worse. A year ago I had the following: SEVERE sleep apnea, back problems, planters faciitis, Migraines, allergies (even to make-up), short of breath, high blood pressure, blood sugar issues (pre-dia betic), high cholesterol, anxiety attacks, night sweats, eczema, aches and pains, skin tags and depression. Im sure there are more to list but you get the point, very unhealthy for a anyone much less a 42 year old woman. A year later I DO NOT have the following: SEVERE sleep apnea, back problems, planters faciitis, migraines, allergies (even to make-up), short of breath, high blood pressure, blood sugar issues (pre-diabetic), high cholesterol, anxiety attacks, night sweats, eczema, aches and pains, skin tags and depression. I have discovered an intense love of hot yoga which is my main source of exercise, I eat healthier than Ive ever eaten in my life, Im happier than Ive ever been in my life, Im healthier than Ive ever been, my blood work comes back great, I take no medication except for a Calcium supplement and nexium, I am able to do all kinds of physical things I only dreamed I could do, Im not obsessed with food any more, I have so much energy, I cant sleep past 8am now (I used to sleep until 1 or 2 on the weekends), I dont need to take naps anymore, I can curl up in ball in the movie theatre seat lol, my clothes are so tiny now that they all fit in my drawers lol, I get to shop in the juniors section, I take pride in my appearance, our food bill is cut more than in half, I can wear makeup again, I went from a screaming size 18/20 pants - 2xl tops to a comfy size 8 pants and a medium top, so many positive things. When I see my surgeon I hug him because bottom line is, he saved my life and what a great life it is! Happy Surgiversary to me!

So amazing what this surgery has done for you! I could have written this too! Same things wrong and at 3 1/2 years out, life is so different!!! Congrats!

Congrats and Happy Sleeviversary! Here's to a lifetime at goal!

Lynda

Thanks for sharing your wonderful story of success! You look great!

Hi Bunny,

Thank you for sharing that incredible story. You are an inspiration and beautifully summarized what I and many others are feeling. I too was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea which came as such a surprise to me. I discovered it during my pre op testing. I could never get used to the cpap machine and frankly stopped using it after 3 weeks. I was wondering if you had gone back for another sleep study after your weight loss to see if the sleep apnea had stopped. I've been thinking of this but of course not looking forward to enduring another night with the wires and camera etc..I've kind of just ignored the whole thing. I am of course expecting that loosing the weight has stopped this problem.

Hi Bunny,

Thank you for sharing that incredible story. You are an inspiration and beautifully summarized what I and many others are feeling. I too was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea which came as such a surprise to me. I discovered it during my pre op testing. I could never get used to the cpap machine and frankly stopped using it after 3 weeks. I was wondering if you had gone back for another sleep study after your weight loss to see if the sleep apnea had stopped. I've been thinking of this but of course not looking forward to enduring another night with the wires and camera etc..I've kind of just ignored the whole thing. I am of course expecting that loosing the weight has stopped this problem.

I was due to be reevaluated for my sleep apnea, and was trying to psych myself up for another night in a sleep lab (ugh), when I was told that my insurance company had denied me for the sleep study, because now all of their patients have home studies instead. Sounded great to me! I did my home sleep study last Friday night. I wore a strap around my chest that had a small sensor on it, a nasal cannula oxygen type of apparatus (attached to the machine, no oxygen in use), and pulse oximetry on my finger. So I slept with this equipment attached to a small machine for one night, and then returned the equipment to the sleep lab. I'm waiting to see what my results are. So, you might be pleasantly surprised, and not have to sleep in a sleep lab anymore!

Hi there,

I actually did not go back for another study. My hubby is my barometer actually. He was the one that actually alerted me to the fact that I would stop breathing about once a minute which prompted me to get tested. But now he says I dont snore hardly at all and I dont stop breathing at all! So Im comfortable going by his observations. Plus, I wake up early and refreshed, cant sleep late anymore and I dont require naps. It may be necessary or better advice to get another study but in my case, Im comfortable with what hubby says :) Good luck to you whatever you decide to do,

Hi Bunny,

Well thats awesome that you got to do it in the comfort of your own home. If I decide to get re-tested Ill definitely look into that option. Please let me know how the results come out. And thanks for giving me a heads up that home testing is an option! Im not dreading it so much now. I have my one year check up with my surgeon in a week or two so if it comes up Ill make sure to bring up the in home evaluation.

Hi Bunny,

I was due to be reevaluated for my sleep apnea, and was trying to psych myself up for another night in a sleep lab (ugh), when I was told that my insurance company had denied me for the sleep study, because now all of their patients have home studies instead. Sounded great to me! I did my home sleep study last Friday night. I wore a strap around my chest that had a small sensor on it, a nasal cannula oxygen type of apparatus (attached to the machine, no oxygen in use), and pulse oximetry on my finger. So I slept with this equipment attached to a small machine for one night, and then returned the equipment to the sleep lab. I'm waiting to see what my results are. So, you might be pleasantly surprised, and not have to sleep in a sleep lab anymore!