Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Siren's Song Of The Last Bite....

Continues to lure me to my doom. Despite the warning of Mistress Band I continue to fail, when I should be finished, there is that one last bite or two that looks so lonely sitting on my plate. Too small to save, but such a waste to throw it in the trash, I give in and it pushes me past my limit and into the promised realm of discipline from my mistress. All to no avail, since I end up offering it to the watery grave of the cold white throne.

Edited by Terry Poperszky

Continues to lure me to my doom. Despite the warning of Mistress Band I continue to fail, when I should be finished, there is that one last bite or two that looks so lonely sitting on my plate. Too small to save, but such a waste to throw it in the trash, I give in and it pushes me past my limit and into the promised realm of discipline from my mistress. All to no avail, since I end up offering it to the Water grave of the cold white throne.

Been there, done that....I have a hard head and it took some hard lessons to finally "Get it"

I now know what my Dr. meant when he said the key to all this is to learn to "Listen" to my band...

I'm having problems with this too. It's just one bite....ugh!!!

Wow Terry...that's the prettiest description of throwing up that I've ever heard. You my friend are a true poet...

Right there with you! Thanks for letting me know it's not just me!

Here's another dilemma and I faced it tonight.

Start off with a salad. Ingredients, jicama, cucumber, red pepper, a few grapes, spinach, arugula, lettuce, tomatoes, one kids cutie orange dissected and all topped with about 6 ozs baked salmon and a homemade Asian vinaigrette.

Started off small but soon became a small mountain(wife's was a mountain). I ate half and was no longer hungry. Not the type of meal you can put back in the fridge as a leftover. Just not the same if it's not fresh. So, I ate about 90% and now I'm stuffed. But, it's mostly Water based veggies so I got that goin for me?

I can't get my eyes to agree with my band? LOL

tmf

I'm a Sleever, but this problem applies to us, too. One of the first lessons I learned post op is in my signature below and it's probably one of the best things I've learned.

I always eat the best bite first. Whether it's the cheesiest, the crunchiest, the most gooey, I eat it FIRST. Then I eat the next best bite and then the next... This way, when I'm full, I'm full. I've gotten the best parts in, the rest isn't as appealing and I'm no longer hungry and anxious to finish my meal.

Try it!

I'm a Sleever, but this problem applies to us, too. One of the first lessons I learned post op is in my signature below and it's probably one of the best things I've learned.

I always eat the best bite first. Whether it's the cheesiest, the crunchiest, the most gooey, I eat it FIRST. Then I eat the next best bite and then the next... This way, when I'm full, I'm full. I've gotten the best parts in, the rest isn't as appealing and I'm no longer hungry and anxious to finish my meal.

Try it!

Great advise!

Love your 'lessons' in your signature too.

Congrats on your success.

Try it!

I'll admit I do not know that much about sleeves...but with us banders,,, if our first bite is the crunchiest, cheesiest, etc..our first will be our last!....some foods just will not pass through the band no matter how hard well we chew....it does differ from person to person, but it is a reality....

Some parts, those so called best parts...are now history....

I have been before the Cold White Throne from only one bite and one swallow.....and those foods are now a memory.

I have gone to a restaurant, and made the stupid mistake by attempting to eat a dinner roll they serve you before you even order your dinner.....missed my entire dinner that evening because of that "First Bite"....had to settle for a bowl of Soup.....

Edited by B-52

Try it!

I'll admit I do not know that much about sleeves...but with us banders,,, if our first bite is the crunchiest, cheesiest, etc..our first will be our last!....some foods just will not pass through the band no matter how hard well we chew....it does differ from person to person, but it is a reality....

Some parts, those so called best parts...are now history....

I have been before the Cold White Throne from only one bite and one swallow.....and those foods are now a memory.

I have gone to a restaurant, and made the stupid mistake by attempting to eat a dinner roll they serve you before you even order your dinner.....missed my entire dinner that evening because of that "First Bite"....had to settle for a bowl of soup.....

I have a slight stricture so I totally get the stuck thing. I was actually on liquids and pureed for almost 8 weeks instead of the prescribed 2 because of it. I feel your pain because I am the rare sleever who slimes regularly (my fault) and still prays to the porcelain God if I eat one smidge too much, the bite is too big, or just because the sun is out and the birds are chirping.

I still cannot eat bread or Pasta and while I practically lived on bread before (was that really living, though!?!?!), I no longer miss it.

The best bites on my plate now no longer resemble what they looked like 95 pounds ago, I promise you. I am almost 7 months out and I still eyeball new foods with suspicion and never experiment with anything when out. That said, I still take the best bites first and because I fill up so fast, those are usually enough to satisfy me and I no longer care about finishing my plate (which has mostly eliminated the need to re-experience those last bites on the way back out).

:D

The sleeve is a bit different then the band in that way. With the sleeve you really can't eat as much it has a smaller stomach to digest and it can and will back up on you.

Some banders have only the band and then a regular stomach just under it. If we keep eating and the food keeps going smoothly through the band given enough time we can consume volumes of food.< /p>

I have a plication under my band which is sort of like the sleeve without the removal of the stomach tissue. (The stomach is rather pleated into itself and stitched together) So I kind of have the best of both worlds depending on how you look at it.

However...what I have noticed about this dual procedure is that the same applies. Since the band slows down consumption, it takes longer to fill the plication and over time if you keep grazing you can just keep eating.

You really need to pay attention the band and the signals it gives and do not graze through meals. My Nut says that a meal should take you no longer then 20 minutes to consume. After 20 minutes you have already moved onto your next meal!

That advice works for me, and if I have not consumed my meal in that span of time (and sometimes I am distracted and pulled away from eating when at work I try to prevent this from happening as much as possible though!) I will discard the leftovers. Sometimes they are so tempting...they beckon to me just like Terry explained, and I have to destroy them. So I make them inedible. I pour Water or pencil shavings on it so I am not tempted to eat them again.

I've done this while out in a restaurant, to myself and my husband both just to save us from the Porcelain God.

Continues to lure me to my doom. Despite the warning of Mistress Band I continue to fail, when I should be finished, there is that one last bite or two that looks so lonely sitting on my plate. Too small to save, but such a waste to throw it in the trash, I give in and it pushes me past my limit and into the promised realm of discipline from my mistress. All to no avail, since I end up offering it to the watery grave of the cold white throne.

This is wonderfully written.....thanks for sharing your creativity. Poetry contest, any one -- how about Haiku?

I'm having problems with this too. It's just one bite....ugh!!!

that's my problem too. My head says one more bite but my stomach says NO! It's definitely a mind game that my body has to get used to!

It is important to know what your full "sign" is. For some it may be tightness, sweating, hiccups, nose watering, eyes watering, etc. What is your FULL sign? Mine is usually the hiccups at first. If I am too full I will get a running nose and sneezing. This usually tells me that I will be making a trip to the white throne.

Lol! Terry! If we have been veterans for awhile, most of us have been there. Doesn't seem possible that last little bitty bite will do it, does it? Well been there, trying not to do it again! Karen...aka..kll724