Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Oh You're Never Gonna Believe This Nsv....

So....I've been struggling for a number of months with Hair loss. Along with taking the Biotin, extra Protein, and Vitamins, I changed up my hairstyle a bit to try to minimize the thin spots. For the first time in a very long time, my hair is really short and unfortunately now thin enough that my ear lobes are quite visible. I finally decided today that I might as well take advantage of this situation and put on a pair of earrings. Usually I don't bother because:

A) my hair used to cover my ears...and...

2) after a couple of hours, my ears would hurt and I'd have to take the earrings out.

Well...I've had them in all day and they aren't bothering me at all. I swear...my earlobes must have gotten thinner along with the rest of me. I think I may have to Celebrate this nsv and head to the nearest jewelry store this weekend... :D

Edited by gowalking

Ok gotta say this is a new NSV to me. But hey get yourself some new earrings girlfriend, you have earned them!

I am sorry about the hair loss. Can you tell me after surgery, when did the Hair loss start? Like 2 months after? 3? Thank you

I noticed that my hair was falling out probably about three months after being banded. It wasn't noticeable for at least another three months. I've been doing everything the doctor and nutritionist told me to do but it's still very thin even four months later. I'm just hoping it comes back in. I had such thick hair and now I have to play around with it to minimize the spots where I can see the scalp showing through.

Thank you for your answer. I am sure it will grow back in, as thick as ever. Though I am sure it is devastating! Your organs are taking in all the nutrition and our hair is the last to receive it. I wonder if this happens to everyone who has WLS?

I know hair loss is very common but I don't believe everyone suffers from it. I was actually very surprised that it happened to me. I thought only those who had bypass or sleeves or other invasive WLS had this problem...not bandsters.

This is an interesting NSV! This one makes me smile.

Somehow surgery had the opposite effect on my hair. I was losing a lot of it.... I've been noticing new growth coming IN for about 2.5 months. I'm only 4 months post op

Ok gotta say this is a new NSV to me. But hey get yourself some new earrings girlfriend, you have earned them!

I agree! New earrings for ears that lost weight, too!

So....I've been struggling for a number of months with hair loss. Along with taking the Biotin, extra Protein, and Vitamins, I changed up my hairstyle a bit to try to minimize the thin spots. For the first time in a very long time, my hair is really short and unfortunately now thin enough that my ear lobes are quite visible. I finally decided today that I might as well take advantage of this situation and put on a pair of earrings. Usually I don't bother because:

A) my hair used to cover my ears...and...

2) after a couple of hours, my ears would hurt and I'd have to take the earrings out.

Well...I've had them in all day and they aren't bothering me at all. I swear...my earlobes must have gotten thinner along with the rest of me. I think I may have to Celebrate this nsv and head to the nearest jewelry store this weekend... :D

diamondsparkle_animation.gif a diamond for a diamond :)

I am sorry about the hair loss. Can you tell me after surgery, when did the Hair loss start? Like 2 months after? 3? Thank you

I didn't have any noticeable hair loss until close to 1.5 years after my surgery. It's really different for everyone! If you keep up your protien and your Vitamins you should have better chances of not losing a ton.

Go,

You have been through so much in the last few years, and this is an AWESOME NSV! The hair fall sometimes comes additionally from all the stress our bodies are under. Losing weight is actually a stress to the body, it's something the body does not naturally want to do.

Our bodies were designed to hold onto and store fat for future needs when food was scarce. You would think that today with all the food that's available to us our bodies would change, but if you think about it how many of us though overweight were actually malnourished?

We could eat volumes of food and most of it probably junk. I never realized how under nourished I was until I started getting sick. I went through a series of different surgeries as organs were failing and found out how under nourished I was at over 260 pounds!

Since being banded, I keep a much better eye on what passes through my lips and I make sure that I get the proper nutrition now and that the food I eat is whole food and loaded with Protein and Vitamins.

Go, you are on the road to fabulous! You are a true inspiration to me and my husband both. I'm so glad your feeling great, get yourself 2 pairs of earnings to frame that beautiful smile!

Regarding hair loss not only is my hair thicker post surgery my beard is getting tougher as well I'm going through razors three times as quickly.

It really does just boil down to how much Protein you take in and how your body uses it. About 33% or more of my calories come from Protein each day.