Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I walk/ran my first 5k on thanksgiving. It was so hard it was 19degrees outside and 1.5 miles was all up hill! Here's my issue, the next day I weighed and I was up 4lbs! Almost a week later still up the same 4lbs with no sign of movement. Is this normal after a 5k?

Surgery date: aug 5. Down 57lbs. From 267 to 210 (now 214 :-/. )

Oh. And I stayed on plan! No cheating for me! And no alcohol either.

Still pre-op, but I always gained after doing them too. Did you train for it? I never do, because I always forget how fat I am and assume I can do it just fine, then think I'm going to die halfway through - always figured it was muscle!

Congrats on finishing, though!

I did "train" kinda. I did the 3.1 on the treadmill a few times and I take 4 weight training / toning classes a week. I just never thought I'd gain afterwards!

I don't really have an answer but do have a thought. Maybe your body is saying WTF did you do to me and is storing up in case you do it again?

Well, let's think about this for a second. The scale said you were up 4 pounds. From when? The previous day? I'm guessing you are a daily weigher, so let's go with that. Up 4 pounds from the previous day.

So, you have to consume 3,500 calories more than you burn to gain 1 pound of fat. 4 pounds of fat then would be 14,000 calories. So, my question to you is, do you think you ate 14,000 calories MORE than you burned? Especially after doing a 5K? Do you really think you gained 4 pounds of FAT? Or is what the scale says the ONLY thing that matters to you?

The bottom line is the scale is a demon which is going to lie to us. It will lie to you even more the more often you weigh. What does it measure? Fat? Water? Muscle? What are you wanting to lose? Fat? Water? Muscle?

There are many reasons why you weigh more one day to the next. Nobody here is going to be able to pinpoint it down to one thing for you. You just need to stay away from the scale, keep doing the right thing (follow all the guidelines) and track everything that goes into your mouth. If you do this, surely you know there is no way that you are gaining fat and I know for me, that was the bottom line.

I would be happy as pigs in shitted if I could gain 20 pounds of muscle right now.

Well, let's think about this for a second. The scale said you were up 4 pounds. From when? The previous day? I'm guessing you are a daily weigher, so let's go with that. Up 4 pounds from the previous day.

So, you have to consume 3,500 calories more than you burn to gain 1 pound of fat. 4 pounds of fat then would be 14,000 calories. So, my question to you is, do you think you ate 14,000 calories MORE than you burned? Especially after doing a 5K? Do you really think you gained 4 pounds of FAT? Or is what the scale says the ONLY thing that matters to you?

The bottom line is the scale is a demon which is going to lie to us. It will lie to you even more the more often you weigh. What does it measure? Fat? Water? Muscle? What are you wanting to lose? Fat? Water? Muscle?

There are many reasons why you weigh more one day to the next. Nobody here is going to be able to pinpoint it down to one thing for you. You just need to stay away from the scale, keep doing the right thing (follow all the guidelines) and track everything that goes into your mouth. If you do this, surely you know there is no way that you are gaining fat and I know for me, that was the bottom line.

I would be happy as pigs in shitted if I could gain 20 pounds of muscle right now.

Awesome

I don't really have an answer but do have a thought. Maybe your body is saying WTF did you do to me and is storing up in case you do it again?

Lol. That's what I was thinking too!

The bottom line is the scale is a demon which is going to lie to us. It will lie to you even more the more often you weigh. What does it measure? Fat? Water? Muscle? What are you wanting to lose? Fat? Water?

Thanks for the response. I agree weighing every morning should be a no no but I'm having a hard time letting go.

I reread my original post and I guess I should more worried than I am. There's no way I ate more than my 800cal that day so I had to be retaining water. My legs were so sore the next two days it would make sense.

Thanks again