Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Our Pets & Our Sore Tummies

I am having my sleeve done Dec 17 and I do have one concern. After I get home I know I'll still need to heal. My doggie is a lap dog and the high point of his day is to lay on my tummy. I know he will not understand why for awhile he won't be able to lay on my tummy and he feels bad when I tell him he can't. I have not read on the forums here anyone else going thru this but I imagine allot have. Can some of you relate your experience and how you dealt with your loving pets when it came to your sore belly. Thank in advance
Laura

Mine continued to lay on my belly. I'm 12 days post-op. She is a little princess and wouldn't have it any other way. She only weighs 6 pounds.

My cat was the same - I put a pillow on my lap and that kept both of us happy :-)

I was fine with a cat on my lap as long as they got there gently, so you may be fine with a doggie on your lap. I had to remember not to pick up my largest kitty as he was over my doctor's lifting limit. That was hard! And one time I was napping and one of my kitties decided to do a kamikaze leap from the top of my tall headboard smack onto my abdomen -- now that was agony! But other than that small pets and healing tummies can mix if you are careful :)

I used a small pillow and all was fine for both of us. I do think I healed faster having my little one near.

Good luck!

My surgery is the 18th, and I too have a little 10 pound dog. I know nothing will keep her off my lap, it's the 48 and 50 pound kiddos I have to worry about! :rolleyes:

I kept a pillow on my tummy the first few days, and my 10# cat could lay on that just fine. My 70# dog who thinks she's a lap dog was my biggest concern. I stayed in the recliner and she would put her front legs and her head on my lap (not belly) and just gave me sad eyes for a few days.

I have a 70+ "lap dog" he thinks he is anyway, well he was resigned to lay next to me with his head on my lap with no issues. I received lots of sighs and poor me looks though. Like it was the end of the world. Hard to say no to them!

I sleep with two 50 pound dogs and two cats every night. The cats sleep on my pillow and on my tummy. No problems with the "arrangements" post op. One of my 50 pounders also thinks he's a lap dog, so like adargie, I had to confine him to the rest of the couch for a couple weeks. It wasn't the end of the world even though he thought it was. And like Bufflehead, one of my cats launched off the headboard onto my tummy, too. Not the best postop experience, but it only hurt for a moment.