Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 Years Out.....almost Forgot That I Had Been Sleeved!

Hi everyone....I used to come on to this forum every day the first year; for support and I also thought I could encourage others especially older people (I was 58 when I was sleeved). I wrote a weekly blog called Queenofcrop.com for my first year. I just started getting updates again (maybe with the change to bariatricpal?). I had forgotten what interesting people hang out here!

My second year was full of adventure....I moved from Hawaii to Amsterdam, bought a house and got involved in fixing it up, met new friends and had a ton of company over the summer. My entire second year I simply felt like a normal thin person....all of our new friends in Amsterdam never knew me as heavy and as most people know, most Europeans don't have a weight problem, so the subject never came up.

I honestly don't follow the rules all that well; but I eat healthy, always have a cookie in the afternoon with a cup of coffee, usually a glass of wine at night with dinner and I move a lot (we don't own or need a car here). So I walk or bike everywhere. I never look at labels in the store (most items here don't have the nutrional information on them anyway, and if they did, I still can't understand enough Dutch to read them.

It's been the most freeing time in my life....I have been at goal for a year, I don't stress about food, I don't count calories, and I eat like a thin person. I feel very lucky. But I must not forget the road I have come down and be reminded that I still need to understand how I got so heavy in the first place. I think little things can start creeping back in.....especially now with the holidays here. Last year I still had much restriction; now, not as much.

I have heard from a number of people recently who followed my blog and some new ones who just found my blog (thank you!), and I will post a 2 year update soon.

Hi everyone....I used to come on to this forum every day the first year; for support and I also thought I could encourage others especially older people (I was 58 when I was sleeved). I wrote a weekly blog called Queenofcrop.com for my first year. I just started getting updates again (maybe with the change to bariatricpal?). I had forgotten what interesting people hang out here! My second year was full of adventure....I moved from Hawaii to Amsterdam, bought a house and got involved in fixing it up, met new friends and had a ton of company over the summer. My entire second year I simply felt like a normal thin person....all of our new friends in Amsterdam never knew me as heavy and as most people know, most Europeans don't have a weight problem, so the subject never came up. I honestly don't follow the rules all that well; but I eat healthy, always have a cookie in the afternoon with a cup of coffee, usually a glass of wine at night with dinner and I move a lot (we don't own or need a car here). So I walk or bike everywhere. I never look at labels in the store (most items here don't have the nutrional information on them anyway, and if they did, I still can't understand enough Dutch to read them. It's been the most freeing time in my life....I have been at goal for a year, I don't stress about food, I don't count calories, and I eat like a thin person. I feel very lucky. But I must not forget the road I have come down and be reminded that I still need to understand how I got so heavy in the first place. I think little things can start creeping back in.....especially now with the holidays here. Last year I still had much restriction; now, not as much. I have heard from a number of people recently who followed my blog and some new ones who just found my blog (thank you!), and I will post a 2 year update soon.

Awesome! This is the kind of outcome I hope to have. Do you still eat Protein first etc? Is it easy to find healthy food in Amsterdam?

I always have Protein at every meal, but I never did get the required amount in (my apologies to the purists here and I'm not saying I am a good role model AT ALL in this regard). But I don't think about it much. Amsterdam is a huge metropolitan city so we can get anything and it's a European city with lots of street markets and shops at every corner, so I shop fresh every day or two. (No costco sized anything here). We just eat reasonably (including bread at times) but mostly fish, meat, vegetables, eggs, cheese and always always Cookies in the afternoon. I weigh myself every day to keep in check but other than that, I don't think about it much. As I said, I feel like a thin person and often forget that I had a sleeve operation. It's very freeing. I will say though that I was never a huge eater to begin with....I did graze a lot and I ate a lot of sugary things, but I was never a fast food or binge eater. Good luck, it looks like you are almost where you need to be!

Hi, Queen.

I'm one of those who only recently discovered your blog. I binge-read it yesterday -- it reminded me of a VSG version of Eat, Pray, Love. :)

Ann

Edited by Ann2014

good to hear from you Queen of the Crops! You are doing really great and I'm simply amazed that you have moved from Amsterdam! Wow, this is so life changing.... :P

good to hear from you Queen of the Crops! You are doing really great and I'm simply amazed that you have moved from Amsterdam! Wow, this is so life changing.... :P

Hi Dorrie! I remember you, because we were sleeved in the same month and we started at the same weight! Hope your journey has been as much fun as mine....looks like we have lost the same amount of weight too! Interesting coincindence....and I have not moved FROM Amsterdam, I moved TO Amsterdam from Hawaii! Loving it here! Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Isn't this an amazing journey for us both.. Good to hear that your doing well to. I do fluctuate up and down by a couple of lbs too... :P Merry Christmas and I hope you and your loved ones have a wonderful New Year.... :P

So great to hear your update! What a wonderful success story you are.

Thank you for the compliment MichiganChic, but wow....you have lost 131 lbs!!!! I would say you are the star here......how exciting for you! It feels good to be back on the forum.......I do feel like a thin person, but there is a lot of good information here for everyone at every level.

I'm a newbie but read your blog before subscribing to VST last month. It was really inspiring and I will look forward to your update!

Thank you Fluffnomore!!!! WElcome to the forum; you will learn lots of things here and get lots of support......looks like you are well on your way!

Queen, so glad ou are doing so well, sounds like a great life! Welcome back!

Thank you for posting. It's great to hear from someone so far down the road and successful. I have relatives in Europe, and found that I easily lost weight there because of all the walking (no car, took the streetcar or train, walked everywhere). And the food was divine! They don't serve mega-portions there like the restaurants here, either. I love having afternoon coffee or chocolate and a little pastry (sigh).....

I remember reading your blog. I hadn't had surgery at that time. I'm 18 months out. I still have yet to get to goal even after losing 128 pounds. I will get there though. Nothing happening with the weight loss though since 1 year. I was sleeved on May 21, 2012. I've had some problems with GERD, bile reflux, and esophageal spasms. Not fun at all. Seems alot of people that were sleeved at the time I was is having problems with this.

So good to know you are doing well. Thanks for your blog. It helped me alot when I was pre op!

Merry Christmas!

Hi Lisa! Thanks for remembering me....you look amazing and healthy but I am so sorry to hear of your continuing health issues. I'm sure that must be so frustrating for you, because even though we all want to look good, feeling good is the true goal and best outcome. You have come so far, I have a feeling you will figure this out. Stay strong and thanks again for the nice note.

Queen of Crop