Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any January Surgery Bandsters?

I will tell you all I started thinking about lap band in November of 2012. Had all the mtgs, was ready to schedule surgery & then backed out. I tried weight watchers & to do it on my own, but unfortunately it didn't work. I could progressively see my body getting more & more unhealthy. I made the decision in November of 2013 to start the process again & got banded on the 13th of January. The thing is nothing else worked for me. I weighed the options & this is my last resort. You have to look at your options & past to determine if WLS is rt for you. You know you the best. Research research research is my other recommendation!

Good luck to you. You will make the decision best for you :)

GREAT ADVISE!!! That is EXACTLY what I did!! Research, Research, Research!!! WLS was a last resort for me. I had lost a ton of weight....20 years ago...and gained it all back and then some...after many fad diets and Weight Watchers. WEIGHT WATCHERS works!! But you you HAVE to stick with it!! I couldn't do it any more...So now I do not have a choice and I HAVE to be good or get sick or have MAJOR problems!! This WLS has now basically FORCED my hand at doing what I should have done a long time ago!!!

--A toast to the New Year and the New Me...Here is to making an INFORMED, EDUCATED DECISION to prolong my life!!!! WOOT WOOT!!! I got this!!!!

Im officially banded. It wasn't so bad I feel good. Looking forward to a speedy recovery.

Glad you're feeling well!! I wish you a healthy and quick recovery!!

xx Quinn

Im officially banded. It wasn't so bad I feel good. Looking forward to a speedy recovery.

I am glad to hear you are doing well. My surgery is January 27. I have heard from some that there is a tightness or discomfort in the stomach. Is that the case for you?

This post is NOT to scare anyone. I just want to put this out there, so if anybody else goes through what I have, they have a similar war story to hear.

You know how they tell you that you "may have some pain" in your left shoulder from the gas? Oh my goodness gracious almighty. It can be so intense you feel like your shoulder/neck is about to combust. My 1st day back to work, I was crying by the time I got home. (5 days post op) Day 2 at work I was crying by lunch and actually called my doctor to make sure there wasn't something worse going on. They told me the pain can be so intense that some people think they're having a heart attack.

My main reason for posting this, is that I've found a fool proof way to get quick relief. Walk walk walk. BUT to get the pain to go away quickly, take a couple gas x strips and lay flat on a bench, the floor, the bed, whatever. Then elevate your legs above your head. Use the wall, pillows, whatever. 5-10 minutes and the god almighty awful pain will subside for a while.

They say it will go away soon. This is the only thing I've found it hard to bounce back from. I actually qualified (I'm a police officer) with my gun at work today (7 days post op) and did fine with the incisions. Just that darn shoulder pain.

Good luck!

Oh know Orange! I have to sympathise with you the gas pain in my shoulder still hasn't quite gone for me either and I am 12 days out. It only appears again late in an evening just before bed, or after my evening meal. Like you, I have to go lie down, although by then I usually just go to bed! Love my bed! Have been using hot Water bottles continuously on my shoulder to help and also got a shoulder, neck and head massage with high-pressure, my god it felt good afterwards. Can def recommend that!

Weighed myself again this morning and am now 7kg/1st down on pre-surgery weight. its nuts. Another kg off and i will be in onederland yay!

Have a great day everyone, it's our christmas party tonight so I have the buffet table to navigate and the no drinking thing, but will get round it! Could be a cranberry juice night so everyone thinks I am on vodka cranberrys.

DP xx

Getting ready for bed to go in for surgery tomorrow check in 5am. Not nervous just hasn't hit me yet I guess. My mom is here visiting to help me and that is comforting for me.

How fast are you eating and drinking your meals?

I'm actually still mostly on thin liquid since I've had so much trouble. So slowly over about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes, thickest thing I'm eating is Tomato Soup

I was banded yesterday and haven't felt any pain. I didn't even take Tylenol and I slept very well. Do you think I will be ok or will I start feeling pain out of no where?

Good luck msirish!

Everyone is different. I found day 2-3 to be the worst as far as incisions/moving around, after the hospital meds wore off, but I know some people have very little pain.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Prdgrdma

So I guess after gastric bypass surgery, I cant eat flock chips because they are fried???  They sell them on here so I thought I could have them. So high in protein and no carbs.  They don't bother me at all.  Help. 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

It's possible for a very high fat meal to cause dumping in some (30% or so) gastric bypass patients, although it's more likely to be triggered by high sugar, or by the high fat/high sugar combo (think ice cream, donuts). Dietitians will tell you to never do anything that isn't 100% healthy ever again. Realistically, you should aim for a good balance of protein, carbs, and fat each day. Should you eat fried foods every day? No. Is it possible they will make you sick? Maybe. Is it okay to eat some to see what happens and have them for a treat every now and again? Yes.

• NovelTee

I'm not at all hungry on this liquid pre-op diet, but I miss the sensation of chewing. It's been about two weeks––surgery is in two days––and I can't imagine how I'll feel a couple of weeks post-op. Tonight, I randomly stumbled upon a mukbang channel on YouTube, and it was strangely soothing... is it just me, or is this a thing? 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

I actually watched cooking shows during my pre-op, like Great British Baking Show. It was a little bizarre, but didn't make me hungry. I think it was also soothing in a way.

• Clueless_girl

How do you figure out what your ideal weight should be? I've had a figure in my head for years, but after 3 mths of recovery I'm already almost there. So maybe my goal should be lower?
      · 3 replies
      1. NickelChip

Well, there is actually a formula for "Ideal Body Weight" and you can use a calculator to figure it out for you. This one also does an adjusted weight for a person who starts out overweight or obese. https://www.mdcalc.com/calc/68/ideal-body-weight-adjusted-body-weight

I would use that as a starting point, and then just see how you feel as you lose. How you look and feel is more important than a number.

2. Clueless_girl

I did find different calculators but I couldn't find any that accounted for body frame. But you're right, it is just a number. It was just disheartening to see that although I lost 60% of my excess weight, it's still not in the "normal/healthy" range..

3. NickelChip

I think it's important to remember that the weight charts and BMI ranges were developed a very long time ago and only intended to be applied to people who have never been overweight or obese. Those numbers aren't for us. When you are larger, especially for a long time, your body develops extra bone to support the weight. Your organs get a little bigger to handle the extra mass. Your entire infrastructure increases so you can support and function with the extra weight. That doesn't all go away just because you burn off the excess fat. If you still had a pair of jeans from your skinniest point in life and then lost weight to get to the exact number on the scale you were when those jeans fit you, chances are they would be a little baggy now because you would actually be thinner than you were, even though the scale and the BMI chart disagree. When in doubt, listen to the jeans, not the scale!

• Aunty Mamo

Tomorrow marks two weeks since surgery day and while I'm feeling remarkably well and going about just about every normal activity, I did wind up with a surface abscess on on of my incision sights and was put on an antibiotic that made me so impacted that it took me more than two hours to eliminate yesterday and scared the hell out of me. Now there's Miralax in all my beverages that aren't Smooth Move tea. I cannot experience that again. I shouldn't have to take Ativan to go to the lady's. I really looking forward to my body getting with the program again. 
      I'm in day three of the "puree" stage of eating and despite the strange textures, all of the savory flavors seem decadent. 
      I timed this surgery so that I'd be recovering during my spring break. That was a good plan. Today is a state holiday and the final day of break. I feel really strong to return to school tomorrow. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Now that I'm in maintenance mode, I'm getting a into a routine for my meals. Every day, I start out with 8-16 ounces of water, and then a proffee, which I have come to look forward to even the night before. My proffees are simply a black coffee with a protein powder added. There are three products that I cycle through: Premier Vanilla, Orgain Vanilla, and Dymatize Vanilla.
      For second breakfast on workdays, I will have a low-fat yogurt with two tablespoons of PBFit and two teaspoons of no sugar added dried cherries. I will have ingested 35-45 grams of protein at this point between the two breakfasts, with 250-285 calories, and about 20 carbs.
      For second breakfast on non-workdays, I will prepare two servings of plain, instant oatmeal with a tablespoon of an olive oil-based spread. This means I will have had 34 grams of protein, 365 calories, and 38 carbs. Non-workdays are when I am being very active with training sessions, so I allow myself more carbohydrate fuel.
      Snacks on any day are always mixed nuts, even when I am travelling. I will have 0.2 cups of a blend that I make myself. It consists of dry roasted peanuts, cashews, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, pistachios, and Brazil nuts. This is 5 grams of protein, 163 calories, and 7 carbs.
      Breakfast and snacks have been the easiest to nail down. Lunch and dinner have more variables, and I prepare enough for leftovers. I concentrate on protein first, and then add vegetables. Typically tempeh, tofu, or Field Roast products with roasted or sautéed vegetables. Today, I will be eating leftovers from last night. Two ounces of tempeh with four ounces of roasted vegetables that consist of red and yellow sweet peppers, sweet potatoes, small purple potatoes, zucchini, and carrots. I will add a tablespoon of olive oil-based spread, break up 3 walnuts to sprinkle of top, and garnish with two tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese. This particular meal will be 19 grams of protein, 377 calories, and 28 grams of carbs. Bear in mind that I do eat more carbs when I am not working, and I focus on ingesting healthy carbs instead of breads/crackers/chips/crisps.
      It's a helluva journey and I'm thankful to be on it!

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches