Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

January 2014 Sleevers Come In!

I am freaking out a bit, they had told me to "try to keep losing" before surgery in my other preop classes, which I had expected, and then at my last preop appt they said "lose a little more before surgery" which to me is like..10 lbs. Not 20. lol. When I expressed my concern about it the scheduler said that if I adhere to the liquid diet it shouldn't be hard. But I lose weight really slowly most of the time, so I'm kinda concerned...however what she had said was "you need to lose 20 lbs for your BMI to be under 50 otherwise we won't perform the surgery." Yet when I did the calculation, I actually only need to lose 10 lbs for my BMI to be under 50, so I think she told me 20 just to be safe and ensure that I keep losing weight. I'm going to do my best anyhow. I've read some people on this site losing like 15# or so during the liquids period. She kinda implied that I picked the later date just so I would be able to eat and have a food funeral during christmas/new years, but it's not so, I just want to make sure I'm doing everything they tell me to so I can safely have surgery. (They also offered me Dec 27th but my job won't let me take time off til after the new year, and there was NO WAY I was losing 20 lbs in 3 weeks.)

If applicable you should try to have your primary care doctor prescribe you a weight loss medication called Adipex. You will loose about 10 to 12 pounds in the first 3 weeks. But you will have to stop taking them two weeks before surgery. It's a quick fix not really long term. At least it was not long term for me.

You may want to skip Christmas and New Years dinner. If you do eat it just try a small taste of this and that. Start walking a little each day or use the treadmill if you can.

I'm here if you need any support. We are going to loose those 20 pounds with no problem :)

Edited by shungsleeve

I'm so excited! I'm getting sleeved January 20 by Dr. alejandro lopez in Tijuana, Mexico! He operates out of Hospital MI Doctor if anyone else is going to be there! Let's meet up!

I haven't been having real food funerals or anything but I haven't lost anything either. I scheduled my final pre-op nutrition class and appointment with the surgeon for Dec 23rd! So soon. I am more stressed about the pre-op diet than anything but at least it is only 10 days, and liquids only for the final 4 days.....

Just got the call today that I was approved!!! So excited!! I meet with the surgeon Thursday for consult and to pick a date!!!

I'm hoping to join you all! Paperwork went to insurance late November. Apparently they are still in need of clinic medical necessity information from my surgeon. AND he's lagging on getting it! I have been e-mailing the office manager but not getting a response. So frustrating! They are normally so good, not sure what is going on. Regardless we are planning on January surgery, so hoping insurance gets what they need soon and will approve.

Kim

I do not have a date yet but am pretty excited and hoping for January as my insurance already approved me. Yay

I'm set for January 6 with Dr. Elisa Ortiz at the Mi hospital in Tijuana Mexico.

I'm also scheduled on January 6th in NYC at Lenox Hill with Dr. Roslin! Best wishes...let's keep in touch!

Anyone staying at Lucerna?

Hi I'm scheduled for January 7th with Specialized Bariatrics in Mexico Dr Lopez

I am scheduled for surgery on the 8th with Dr. Lopez!

Exactly 3 weeks to go!

Hi I'm scheduled for January 7th with Specialized Bariatrics in Mexico Dr Lopez

That doctors is at MI Doctors Hospital correct? If so are you staying at the Marriott?

Yes I'm staying at Tijuana Marriott Hotel .... Does anyone have Cathy as patient coordinator?

We all will get to meet. That's great.