Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis

I guess I didn't make it more clear on this thread. I eat very healthy, whole food diet. I track my calories through two fitness bands and eat 1500 to 2000 calories a day. I walk 13,000 to 15,000 steps a day with a minimum of 30 minutes of cardio. I have starved in the past and it has worked. With endocrine system issues I am still a large woman. My point of saying that it seems like getting WLS is that most posts I am ready say they eat under 1000 calories. I can do that without surgery. That is why I am seeking clarification and asking questions.

I am 11 months out from surgery, I eat around 1500 calories because I am still trying to lose a bit of weight, my nutritionist says after the weight loss I will be eating around 2000-2200 cals to maintain. The weight is coming off slower now that I don't have as much to lose but it is coming off. After probably the first month I was eating around 1200-1500 calories and I was able to lose 70 lbs up to this point. Bottom line I did not and will not have to starve myself to lose the weight after wls...

1 hour ago, SoCalLaura said:

I am 11 months out from surgery, I eat around 1500 calories because I am still trying to lose a bit of weight, my nutritionist says after the weight loss I will be eating around 2000-2200 cals to maintain. The weight is coming off slower now that I don't have as much to lose but it is coming off. After probably the first month I was eating around 1200-1500 calories and I was able to lose 70 lbs up to this point. Bottom line I did not and will not have to starve myself to lose the weight after wls...

So did you decrease your thyroid meds? Have your antibodies decreased? Do you still supplement adrenal? I don't want to be skinny and even more sick. I have been reading that people have gotten Hashimotos AFTER WLS. How about those of us who already have it before? So much to consider.

Edited by norcaligirl

So did you decrease your thyroid meds? Have your antibodies decreased? Do you still supplement adrenal? I don't want to be skinny and even more sick. I have been reading that people have gotten Hashimotos AFTER WLS. How about those of us who already have it before? So much to consider.

I had my TT done in 2014 for Graves. I got my balance on Natures Thyroid medication. However, my weight did not go down, why? Hormone imbalance! Once I had the sleeve I lost 55 lbs and feel amazing. No more debilitating pain and fatigue. I'm never starving, I eat what I want. Your taste do change as many have said. In June it will be 1 year.
I'm still losing weight, and I can say with confidence there is no regret. I take 2 grains of NT. And that's my only medication. There really has not been any major complications.
Weighing out everything in my head last year I weighed 230lbs at first weigh in. Today I weigh 168, and wear size 11 jeans. Weight is no longer my concern, good nutrition is.

The stomach is a hormone processor, hunger hormone (Ghrellen) is a culprit in causing Leptin resistance. That is why we couldn't lose weight no matter what. Insulin resistant=leptin resistance = obesity
Research and a long chat with my doctor brought me to this decision.
The studies showed that Leptin resistance needs a huge block in Ghrellin production. Google it's very compelling.

Norcali, if you are happy with your weight loss without surgery, then by all means don't get it.

For many of us, we could starve down to a weight only to have our bodies drive us back over a set point, the dreaded regain plus. Although the exact mechanisms aren't fully understood yet, VSG alters the body's set point and, by removing a main ghrelin producer, disrupts hunger centers.

yes, caloric intake is lower. That's how all people lose weight. The biggest difference is you are hopefully not whiteknuckling it through the day while eating less.

As for the suggestions to eat sugar free puddings, those are merely suggestions, not requirements. I did not eat them bc I hate fake sweet (not really a sweet fan, anyway). A good bariatric center works with you to tailor the nutrition to you.

It sounds like you just like how you are so congrats and be well.

Thanks for the insight. No, I am not happy and loosing weight, being totally honest with myself regarding intake and output, is not working now. I think my last episode of huge weight loss (horrible divorce/custody battle) triggered serious health issues and my body is no longer responding to expected outcomes of calorie counting, using a reasonable amount of 1500 to 1800 daily, and exercise. The body reset portion is what I wanted to hear. I could accept being fat but the pain in my body due to being fat is unbearable anymore and I work a physical job where I am on my feet almost eight hours a day. I wasn't aware of the reset portion, thinking it was just severely restricted calories and thats it. I am just starting and have to go through the Kaiser *** process so I haven't even attended the mandatory class but was referred. Step 1 of 1000! These boards have been great..thanks for the honesty!

Always, Norcali. I successfully lost huge amounts of weight several times, each time gaining it back plus 30. As I was gaining, I was utterly helpless. I simply couldn't stop the gains. Ravenous hunger, compulsion to eat more no matter what. I kept little food at home to make myself drive to get extra food. I'd drive, no problem. Anyway, this time the weight started disabling me so, for me, it was last resort time and I chose VSG because of the reset and the hunger control element. If you are going for lap band, you need to look into that. I believe it is only a restriction with no metabolic change.

The approval process is a pain in the butt but it's generally valuable. There's so much to know it just takes months to soak it all in. If you're ready to lose, it's a great tool.

Edited by JaelVSG

I have had Hypo Thyroid for years with partial removal.. I was sleeved March 22. My thyroid levels were low prior to surgery, now two and a half weeks out I have only lost 13 pounds and holding. Any suggestions? I am a bit disappointed..

I have had Hypo Thyroid for years with partial removal.. I was sleeved March 22. My thyroid levels were low prior to surgery, now two and a half weeks out I have only lost 13 pounds and holding. Any suggestions? I am a bit disappointed..

For 2.5 weeks that sounds pretty good. You're at the week 3 stall timeframe. If you do stall, you'll get a good drop after.

I have Hashimoto's disease as well. Diagnosed in 2005. I have ballooned since then. It's horrible. I only feel good if my TSH is under 1. Luckily my primary understands and lets me hover around .5 This thread was fantastic to read. Very encouraging!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

5 hours ago, Joann454 said:

I have Hashimoto's disease as well. Diagnosed in 2005. I have ballooned since then. It's horrible. I only feel good if my TSH is under 1. Luckily my primary understands and lets me hover around .5 This thread was fantastic to read. Very encouraging!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Wow, I'll have to talk to my PCP about lowering mine. I ballooned for 3 yrs prior to diagnosis and could not lose to save my life. Even now, I have lost 7 lbs in the month after surgery....so frustrating

I have Hashimoto as well.......my weight loss has been slower than many others but it has been steady. My doctors seem to keep adjusting my meds and, as you know if you have Hashimoto or any thyroid issue, it takes weeks/months for the tweaking to become evident when they adjust your dose. My T4 is 1.2 ng/do; my T3 is 137 ng/do; my TSH is 0.04 uIY/mL. I do think Hashimoto's makes it more difficult but not impossible if you are determined and stick to it. Sounds like you're doing terrific so keep up the good work and try not to compare yourself to other's progress. As long as your moving in the right direction you should be very proud!