Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December Fitness Challenge

Day 9 Insanity - Cardio Recovery day, which sounds deceptively soothing. Yes, we stretched a lot, but we also did slow squats that ended in holding a deep squat for a ludicrously long time and then pulsing in the squat. I cursed. a lot. And I was more jelloee after this then the regular workout!

Donna450 - Did you get the lap band instead of the sleeve? I remember you from years ago. If you still have a significant amount of weight to lose, you can't expect your knees to perform beyond their capacity. I couldn't do this kind of work until I had lost 75% of my total excess weight.

My banding day was 8-23-13. So it's only been 3 1/2 months. So you must be thinking of someone else. But yes I do need to lose another 50 lbs. However my knees have always been this way throughout my years starting about age 30......I'm 63 now. So I've been told to increase the strength of portion of my leg right above the knee. Since not joining gym as I had hoped I bought a stretch cord that I can use to do a little sculpting and some strengthening. What would anyone suggest to strengthen my above knee area? I heard somewhere to sit in a chair and lift up both legs bent suspended in air.

Is that one that might help? Thx

Welcome, Donna! Good for you on getting active! The plank is a static exercise that works the core. It looks ridiculously simple and is actually one of the harder ones to do. It takes time to build up endurance on this one. Here is a link:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/plank-variations-master-the-underrated-core-blaster.html

Thx for the info. I did go to the site and read up on it. I do think I will need more arm strength otherwise I'm not going to have a good plank positioning. I tend to sway back. In other words can't hold myself up. But will definitely work towards that goal.

..... What would anyone suggest to strengthen my above knee area? I heard somewhere to sit in a chair and lift up both legs bent suspended in air. Is that one that might help? Thx

Knee extensions and lunges.

Alright fitness freaks. The month is almost half over. Who's on pace to reach their goal? Who's behind and needs some encouragement?

Just because you've fallen behind.... don't quit. Revise your goal if you must. Make a commitment to push hard from here till the end of the month. It's not that long. Don't give up. There is never going to be a better time to start living a healthy life than right now.

OMG these last few days have been a nightmare! I have done ZERO to work out since I posted several day ago.

I found out this week that my identity has been compromised with the IRS, of all places!!! It is so life-sucking and time-sucking to unwind that kind of damage. To top things off, I had a grooms cake due today, so I've spent the last two days baking and decorating when I need to focus on finances. (Yes, I'm a bariatric patient who owns a bakery...LOL) I have one more day (Monday) to take care of the bones of correcting this identity theft problem and hopefully I will get back on track.

Calgon...take me away!!!

Bubble Bath

Edited by TexasFire

Knee extensions and lunges.

Can't do squats or lunges I fall down because knees give out very easily. I try to do 3 squats and I fell down and crawled to the couch to pull myself up and my knees were jelly. Took about 2 hours before able to walk safely. So sit in a chair and do leg extensions? No weight of any sort and how long and how many sets? I really want to do this right but not too much I can do if my knees won't cooperate. Thx for any advice.

A recumbent bike on a HILL PROGRAM can be extremely beneficial to building strength in the muscles surrounding the knee. For knee extensions, attach a band to the leg of a chair to provide resistance for the exercise. If you don't have any, Walmart has them super cheap. Make sure it's strong enough to provide enough resistance to make you push yourself. You don't want to hurt yourself, of course, but you need to put in significant effort to see any real gains.

OMG these last few days have been a nightmare! I have done ZERO to work out since I posted several day ago.

I found out this week that my identity has been compromised with the IRS, of all places!!! It is so life-sucking and time-sucking to unwind that kind of damage. To top things off, I had a grooms cake due today, so I've spent the last two days baking and decorating when I need to focus on finances. (Yes, I'm a bariatric patient who owns a bakery...LOL) I have one more day (Monday) to take care of the bones of correcting this identity theft problem and hopefully I will get back on track.

Calgon...take me away!!!

That sounds awful. I feel terribly bad for you...but at the same time...now I want cake!!!

4 miles.

Total 17 miles for the month

Biceps and triceps 10 lbs, 15 reps, 5 Sets

End of week 2, Insanity: I am able to do more of the exercises, for more time, and am sweating more. Monday begins week 3, before I started, and every wknd since, I take a photo of myself from behind and from the side, in the same outfit, to chart changes. I can definitely see changes to the shape of my butt and thighs, but sadly my upper arms, waist, and lower gut appear unchanged. I am well on my way to my December fitness goal as far as # of times I do Insanity, but sadly in 2 weeks I have only managed to lose a pound which is effing ridiculous.

It's been a slow week for me. Went to a 1 hr spin class on Monday. That plus a rough night of work and I ended up with a strained lower back. I think I need to work on my ab strength a little more before I go back to spin class. Surgery really did a number on my core stability.

This week I'm hoping my back recovers. I'm meeting with a personal trainer on Monday. Excited and nervous about that.

6.5 hrs down, 5.5 to go.

Edited by HumorMe00

It's been a slow week for me. Went tons 1 hr spin class on Monday. That plus a rough week night if work and I ended up with a strained lower back. I think I need to work on my ab strength a little more before I go back to spin class. Surgery really did a number on my core stability.

This week I'm hoping my back recovers. I'm meeting with a personal trainer on Monday. Excited and nervous about that.

6.5 hrs down, 5.5 to go.

I'm in again but I changing it a bit. I don't have a pedometer sooo idk how many miles I was walking/biking.

50 hours of walking/biking

2 days a week MMA

Planking challenge

Can you tell me what a planking challeng is? Sounds interesting.

Never mind. Just saw GG plank post. Thanks.

Ok. I'll play this challenge... Better late than never. For the remainder of the month I will try the plank challenge and to get 40 miles walked. Additionally, do 40 crunches every day. Wish me luck.