Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When Is The Start Of My Post Op Diet...?

Ok, guys...this could be an insane question, but my doc didn't specify. I am on Clear liquids for 10 days...when exactly does that start? Does my first day of my post op diet begin the day after my surgery? With my first "meal" in the hospital? My first meal outside of the hospital? I am obviously looking forward having some puree foods and milk and cream of __________ stuff and so I want to make sure that I am doing it right. I had my surgery on November 20th. So please someone let me know when my ten days started! Thank you guys sooo much!!!

Generally, your ten days start from the day of your surgery.

You I agree 10 days post op! I was on full liquids once I got home (same surgery date) so I've been having my strained cream Soup here and there, that was my Thanksgiving dinner lol! I start mushies 2 weeks post op(so this wed) I am both excited and nervous! How are the liquids going so far for you!? I'm doing great! Worried to rock the boat lololol!

CrissyRing77, that first mushies meal, you will think you have died and gone to heaven, what a wonderful memory, lol.

CrissyRing77, that first mushies meal, you will think you have died and gone to heaven, what a wonderful memory, lol.

Haha! What did you have? My Nut says they define mushy as anything that even turns to mush in your mouth not necessarily on your plate, so one example she used was meatloaf!!! Ahhhhh! I could cry that sounds so good lol! I was salivating when hubby had avocado the other day and I'm dreaming of retried Beans lol! Any other favorites to share?

Thank you guys SO much! My doc didn't specify (maybe I was supposed to already know). I am on the Clear Liquids only and it has been easy and hard. It is hard to keep shoving liquids down when I am not thirsty. Once my thirst is quinched, I still have to drink and it does make it difficult to get what I need. My doc told me that I can't have the Protein shakes and all (they aren't clear of course) so I'm not getting any kind of Protein. I am not even getting 100 calories a day. I can only have broth, clear and diluted juices and gatorades, and Water. None of those really have anything that I need. I heard of the powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken thing, but I would have to order it online and by the time I get it I will no longer need it. I had been doing Swanson low sodium chicken broth and it was just so plain...tolerable, but definitely not yummy. My Mom told me about the chicken broth granules and they help a lot! They taste like the juice after I eat Ramon Noodles. I am not really struggling. I am just stressed about being malnurish and Vitamin deficient. So, I am anxious to be able to have some protein and things that will give me Vitamins and stuff I need! A little texture and good flavor and variety would be nice, too! LOL! I am not hungry, so that definitely makes this easy. But my mind and mouth want something yummy that I can actually chew! LOL! I am so happy to hear that I can start sooner than I had originally thought. I didn't even think to ask while I was in the hospital, so I wasn't sure. After my clear liquids I can start on the "whole liquids" and "puree foods". I would love some examples! I had my surgery in Mexico and my NUT wasn't the most informative. He gave a few examples, but not a lot. He only mentioned pureed fruit, baby food, cream of chicken, cream of mushroom, cream of fish, and clam chowder. Any info there would also be extremely appreciated! I'm having a hard time knowing what counts for the puree stage and what counts for the mushy stage...they seem to be about the same?

Thank you guys SO much! My doc didn't specify (maybe I was supposed to already know). I am on the clear liquids only and it has been easy and hard. It is hard to keep shoving liquids down when I am not thirsty. Once my thirst is quinched, I still have to drink and it does make it difficult to get what I need. My doc told me that I can't have the Protein shakes and all (they aren't clear of course) so I'm not getting any kind of Protein. I am not even getting 100 calories a day. I can only have broth, clear and diluted juices and gatorades, and Water. None of those really have anything that I need. I heard of the unjury chicken thing, but I would have to order it online and by the time I get it I will no longer need it. I had been doing Swanson low sodium chicken broth and it was just so plain...tolerable, but definitely not yummy. My Mom told me about the chicken broth granules and they help a lot! They taste like the juice after I eat Ramon Noodles. I am not really struggling. I am just stressed about being malnurish and Vitamin deficient. So, I am anxious to be able to have some protein and things that will give me Vitamins and stuff I need! A little texture and good flavor and variety would be nice, too! LOL! I am not hungry, so that definitely makes this easy. But my mind and mouth want something yummy that I can actually chew! LOL! I am so happy to hear that I can start sooner than I had originally thought. I didn't even think to ask while I was in the hospital, so I wasn't sure. After my clear liquids I can start on the "whole liquids" and "puree foods". I would love some examples! I had my surgery in Mexico and my NUT wasn't the most informative. He gave a few examples, but not a lot. He only mentioned pureed fruit, baby food, cream of chicken, cream of mushroom, cream of fish, and clam chowder. Any info there would also be extremely appreciated! I'm having a hard time knowing what counts for the puree stage and what counts for the mushy stage...they seem to be about the same?

Hmmm I think all doctors are different...my office kinda lumps mushy&purees together. I do not have a purée stage but foods like Beans or veggies need to be almost over cooked then mashed or puréed. I can have mushy broccoli as is which surprised me too.. Shredded chicken made more mushy with a liquid was another example or salads like, egg salad, chicken salad and tuna salad. I'm guessing for you everything is to be puréed. I'm on mushy stage for 6 long weeks, so I'm thinking mushy will get old!

As for the Unjury, I love it!!! Had it tonight actually! They are in VA and so am I, but I placed an order Monday and it arrived Tuesday....so turn around I'd fast even tho I'm close. Keep in mind you may need protein even in your liquid and mushy phase as the amt your tummy can hold is very small. I have Soup etc, but drink a Premier Protein shake and an Isopure or the Chicken Unjury everyday bc soup and even the small amt of yogurt I can eat doesn't give me all my protein! I also add the unflavored to my cream Soups and even my sugar free pudding!

My doc required me to buy the Bariatric Advantage Vitamins at his office for the first 90 days! I have 2 chewable Multivitamins, 1 sub lingual B-12, and 4 calcium citrate Chews(like a Starburst) everyday since I got home from hospital.

Purees and mushies can be tough to distinguish. I'm in week two of purees and having traveled without access to a blender I've had to incorporate some mushies this week. I just chewed like crazy whenever I had borderline stuff and now that I'm back home I'm back to straight purees, although my PA had already said "Don't worry about things like chili that have been cooking all day, just chew." It's confusing. But it is great to be eating regular food, however the delivery system works out!

Purees and mushies can be tough to distinguish. I'm in week two of purees and having traveled without access to a blender I've had to incorporate some mushies this week. I just chewed like crazy whenever I had borderline stuff and now that I'm back home I'm back to straight purees, although my PA had already said "Don't worry about things like chili that have been cooking all day, just chew." It's confusing. But it is great to be eating regular food, however the delivery system works out!

How is the food going down for you? I'm nervous to advance!