Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery Date Is Dec 16Th And Really Nervous!

Miss Mac, you are wonderful! From a person who suffers anxiety, what you wrote and how you wrote it were amazing! Feeling much better now! I am getting sleeved 12/18 and am concerned that I only have 1 day for the liquid diet. Everyone else here seems to be at least two weeks. Why such a difference? Anyone know?

I would just like to say good luck to everyone on there journey,I started my two week pre op on 11/25/2013 with my surgery date on 12/09/2013..One question for those who have had it done. How long should you be in the OR?

I have read Truckdaddy about two hours is what I have been reading

Truck daddy, it kind of depends. Most things I've seen say 1-2 hours. But when I talked to my surgeon he said he should be done in 45 minutes. Of course, this was before we found out I have a hernia that needs repairing. That should add on a bit more time.

<p>Miss Mac, you are wonderful! From a person who suffers anxiety, what you wrote and how you wrote it were amazing! Feeling much better now! I am getting sleeved 12/18 and am concerned that I only have 1 day for the liquid diet. Everyone else here seems to be at least two weeks. Why such a difference? Anyone know?</p>

I only have a 1 day liquid diet too!! Not sure why some have 2 weeks and some don't. I will ask my surgeon when I go for my last appt before surgery on dec 11....

Miss Mac's synopsis is quite good. I will add that they will ask you what surgery you are having a number of times. They do a lot of check and cross check. They will put heated blankets on you and will attach these massaging leg things (sorry I'm sure there's a technical term for it but I have no idea what it is) - they help prevent blot clots. An hour pre-op, I met 4 or 5 nurses, 3 anesthesia people, saw my surgeon and her PA multiple times. It's very busy. For my surgeon, the surgery is a 45 minute process, barring any complications or issues, like hernias, etc.

After surgery, my experience was to wake up in my hospital room, with a nurse talking in my ear asking about my pain level. I actually shushed her (LOL) because my stomach felt like it was cramped up really tight. I could only whisper because loud noises seemed to make it worse. Anyway, once I came more fully out of the anesthesia, I was happy to be alive and was amazed at how great I felt despite the tummy/incision pain. The staff was amazing, checking on me, giving various drugs, and monitoring my drinking -- they immediately start you on Protein shakes in these tiny cups (1 ounce, I think) and monitor how much you drink for the entire time you are in your hospital room. At first it was difficult but then it got easier. My hospital actually has a white board in each room and they write your "goals" for discharge. As a former school teacher, I thought that was hilarious and pretty awesome too.

Probably the worst thing for me was getting up and down out of the hospital bed (they want you to walk, and they measure your pee [ew]). The moment you use your core muscles...ouch! I had 5 incisions and there was one just above my belly button that was sewn so tightly the roll of flesh was sort of suspended over my belly button. That hurt pretty bad for the first 2 days - gravity + stitches = ouch. I felt extremely lucky to have zero gas pains, but be prepared with Gas-X strips because it's a common side effect post-op.

Anyway, I checked out the next morning (once I met all my goals :-) ), and was at my house and recovering within a couple hours. I drank broth and Protein and tried to not move too much for the first 2 days. Day 4 was probably the worst as far as pain in the tummy but then I think it was Day 5 I could finally stand up straight without incision/muscle pain in the tummy. By Day 7 things were really good and I slept in my bed for the first time (reclining couch was a lifesaver for me during the first week). Post-op, I had pretty bad insomnia - still do, really. I only took the strong pain meds for the first couple of days, then I relied on the children's Advil and Tylenol that my surgeon recommended. It was amazing how exponentially better things got after the first week.

I hope this is helpful, and that all goes well for all of you getting surgery this month. While everyone's experiences are different and personal, it is nice to read about the step-by-step that some go through. Reading everything I could on this website is how I prepared myself mentally for the surgery, and I am really happy with my decision to have the sleeve done. Best of luck!

Thanks to you and Miss Mac for taking the time to share these stories!!! Can't thank you enough! :)

Seems like you had a pretty textbook surgery. Safe to assume you are doing quite well now? We are all hoping for that!

Miss Mac's synopsis is quite good.

I'm great - I'm grateful to have experienced such an easy post-op recovery. My surgeon was amazing and the office staff is super helpful when I have a question or concern. They never seem impatient with me or annoyed, which is nice. They know that for us, we had major surgery and bizarre things are going on with our insides. It's easy to psyche yourself out when you have a weird pang in your stomach area.

So speaking of which, probably the weirdest thing for me has been the traveling twinges of odd "pain" as the staples heal over. One day, it's below my belly button - just this odd tight feeling - not quite pain but twinges of warning. Then a few days later it will be on my upper left. It's truly bizarre to think about what's going on in there as I heal. My largest incision, on the left side (it's about 2 inches long is all) actually had a lump at about week 3 that freaked me out a bit. It was a "surgical ridge" of scar tissue. It was very tender but is much better now.

Other than that, it's all on me - if I eat the wrong thing, I pay for it. If I don't take Milk of Magnesia or some colace, I have terrible Constipation. If I make bad decisions, my weight loss slows. I forget to drink Water, my lips get crazy chapped and again I don't lose weight. This list could go on and on. The way I see it, the surgeon did her work, and now it's all up to me! :) I'm a slow loser so far, and I couldn't be happier with my decision and my outcome. My overriding thought is how much I can't wait to be a full year out and really be reaping the benefits from this huge decision I made.

Wow...this is great. This is my first visit to the forum. My surgery is Dec 16 too. I have my psych eval in the morning (wed) and endoscopy Thursday. Looking forward to being sleeved. These posts are so helpful. Thanks. I'm on my preop diet too. Protein Shakes, yogurt, a few veggies, but I do get a palm sized portion of Protein each day. That helps. My clear is the day before surgery. Thanks for the info re Facebook. I need to check it out too. I'm a little anxious re the psych eval for some reason. I guess I just don't know what to expect.

Mike, the psych part is not bad.. Well at least for me. They want to make sure your doing this for the right reasons and to make sure that you can handle the life changing surgery of how you eat and if you are of the right mind that you can handle it. I am on day two (well day three) of my clear liquid diet and I am straving!!!! LOL... The first day was the worst I wanted to eat something so bad but I didn't.. I nervous about the surgery but the posts here have kind of put my mind at easy alittle but and I want to thank everyone for there words of encouragment on the surgery part. I have 12 days to go before I get sleeved.. I am kind of excited also...

I'm scheduled for December 17th and I'm getting nervous as well! I have had several surgeries but for some reason this one really has me antsy. I guess it's because this is such a life changing experience. I'm so excited but I'm also nervous too. I don't have to do any kind of pre-op diet and I'm a little worried that my recover might be a little difficult. I'm so looking forward to being on the other! Good luck to you all!

Maine - I don't plan to be nervous until I'm on the gurney!

I think it's only natural to be nervous. I'm a nurse, have watched this surgery be done online, and have had a few other surgeries but I'm always nervous! They will take good care of you and if you tell them how nervous you are they can give you something to help. My sleeve is on 12/16 also! Good luck to all!

<p>Mike, the psych part is not bad.. Well at least for me. They want to make sure your doing this for the right reasons and to make sure that you can handle the life changing surgery of how you eat and if you are of the right mind that you can handle it. I am on day two (well day three) of my clear liquid diet and I am straving!!!! LOL... The first day was the worst I wanted to eat something so bad but I didn't.. I nervous about the surgery but the posts here have kind of put my mind at easy alittle but and I want to thank everyone for there words of encouragment on the surgery part. I have 12 days to go before I get sleeved.. I am kind of excited also...</p>

Psyche wasn't bad at all yesterday. Psyche was more of just talking and making sure I am making the right decision. Just a day of more education. I had my endoscopy today. That wasn't bad at all. I was geared up thinking how bad to have this thing stuck down my throat but really it was so simple. Went to sleep, woke up, all done. They said everything looked great so I'm now all approved for surgery. The 16th will be here quick but I'm ready. Now... Continue the preop diet and get the Protein, Water, etc. in each day.

Thanks for commenting. Made me feel much better.