Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Do You Know When To Stop Eating?

Eat your specified portion size (perhaps 2 oz at your current stage), but no more. Period.

Your stomach nerves have been cut, so you may not feel a sense of fullness in the way you used to; some people never have that feeling again. Your body may give you other cues, so pay attention for those.

Definitely watch out for strange fullness cues from your body. For many people, filling up the sleeve will result in pressure on the vagus nerve, which can lead to things like: runny nose, hiccups, sneezing, burping, etc. For me, when my nose starts to run when I'm eating, I stop, immediately.

And I totally agree with TurnThePage - you should have a measured amount of food for each meal and never eat more. Your only question should be whether you even eat that much. For me, along with watching out for a runny nose, I eat slowly and ask myself as I eat, am I actually hungry? Do I really want to eat this? Or am I just continuing to eat because I feel like I should since I measured out this portion of food? It's a psychological, emotional thing that I need to check in on that lets me know whether I should actually eat the whole thing. When I start to feel like I don't need to eat what's left on my plate, I stop and give the plate to my dog (she loves me even more since my surgery).

At 5 weeks out, I would still measure EVERYTHING since as was mentioned,, you can't yet trust the signals from your body. I am thinking a meal at your stage would be in the 1/4 to 1/2 cup ballpark MAXIMUM, depending on the density of the food.

As you progress, and your body starts sending you signals, aim to eat till no longer hungry. "Full" is not a concept you should be seeking during the weight loss phase.

Cue for me is that I start to burp or hiccup, but then again those are my two signals when I'm hungry! Once my stomach is empty, I start burping like crazy! I mean, longgg drawn out burps... Irritating and embarrassing at the same time. Seriously thinking about changing my name to "Burpy". LOL

I still measure everything and don't eat more than 2/3 of a cup at a serving. My other signals are actually FEELING full, or flat out losing interest in the meal. But I didn't get those signals until I was on solids.

I think some of the symptoms described are actually overfull. One of the main keys to long term success is keeping a restricted feeling and the best way to do that is to not"fill" the tummy to capacity but rather eat to absence of hunger. That becomes clearer once you are on solids.

I try to stick with portion sizes, and physically I get the hiccups when I am full. There are many times when it tastes so good & my mouth wants more, but I have to stop before I am regretfully uncomfortable

I make sure i only serve myself about half of what i can easily eat. then when i am done i wait for at least 5 minutes to evaluate cues from my body and stomach. Only then do i go get a small portion, wash rinse repeat.

even so, the amount of food that sends me from feeling nothing to getting full blown full feelings is razor thin some days. It wasn't a problem when i was trying to lose but i am trying to maintain and can't get enough calories in.

my wife says i should stop the low cal foods but I can't emotionally do that right now.

I have learned that when I have eaten too much, my heart races....

Cue for me is that I start to burp or hiccup, but then again those are my two signals when I'm hungry! Once my stomach is empty, I start burping like crazy! I mean, longgg drawn out burps... Irritating and embarrassing at the same time. Seriously thinking about changing my name to "Burpy". LOL

That's funny. For years (I'm not sleeved yet), I've said, "Uh-oh. I'm having hungry burps". That's an indication that I really need to eat or I get nauseated. Wonder how it will be after my sleeve.

My signal is a slightly runny nose. Not the "omg- I have a horrible cold" snotty nose, just an ever so slight drip . It my clue to stop eating , or else. I made that mistake only twice ( slow learner) . Going past the point full point is very uncomfortable and not something I ever want to do again.

I'm so glad I came across this thread. I have struggled with this too. Great advice from all, thank you

Just measure out your food and eat no more til the next meal