Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Much Help Did You Need?

How much help did you need post-op and for how long? My entire family wants to come and I can't think of anything worse while trying to rest and relax.

I didn't really need any help once I was allowed to drive (after I stopped pain killers). I didn't take any once I left the hospital. I had my mother with me in case of complications.

I wanted to be left alone. My loverly wife waited on me my first day home but stopped when she (finally) realized that I neither needed or wanted the extra care. PS, I am a TERRIBLE patient.

I didn't need any help really but I had my housekeeper come for an extra visit to do stuff that requires heavy lifting (changing kitty litter) or a lot of effort (mopping, vacuuming). That was it. I would say don't have your family come. You should be up and doing things for yourself. Having other people wait on you will not help your recovery. If they want to help, tell them they can stop by for a couple of hours to do heavy housework (give them a list of exactly what you need done), or they can drive you to the store or something. Having a bunch of people getting in your way and wanting to chat when you should be focused on sipping Water or making a Protein Shake is IMO not beneficial. Good luck!

I had my surgery on the 24th of October. I arrived at 5 am. Surgery process started at 7:30 and I was up and walking around around 1 pm. I felt really well once I woke up and was able to hold down sips of Water and watered down apple juice so they let me go home at 11 pm the same day.

As for help, my wife took 4 days off work but I really never even needed her assistance. I know everyone heals differently but I was moving well and could do everything on my own. I would suggest even if you do feel great let everyone help you as much as they want. Being pampered even if you don't really need it will help your recovery even more. Just don't forget to be up and moving, besides getting your liquids in it's one of the more important things you can do.

I felt great. Also the 24th of October. Needed help from my friend to drive home. Stopped taking painkillers the first day home. Drove the second day. I was really up and around almost normally by a week later…but felt well enough by Sunday. I had my kids carry laundry baskets upstairs for me and take the garbage out. Little rats should do that anyway.

Have your family around if it will be nice for you. If they're not traveling a long way maybe have them on call just in case. Not everyone does as well as we did. I also had one of my friends deliver dinner one night, and that was lovely (but not necessary enough to engage the dinner chain in my town.) My family is far away, but I had let a number of people know I was having surgery. Other than giving one kid a ride the night I got home from the hospital, I didn't have to ask them for anything.

Do you have kids? I think I could've taken care of myself easily. But you'll be low energy for a while. You wont be able to do much for other people until some time has passed. And you'll no doubt need some errands run for medicine and foodstuffs.

For me, I needed the extra help.

I had my sleeve surgery on 10/24. I stayed in the hospital that night and on the 25th, I was released about 9 - 9:30 PM

I wasn't able to bend down to pick up anything off the floor, no heavy lifting, and I was on my pain meds for about a week or two. I couldn't sleep and I had to sleep on the couch to sleep on my back.

I'm now a month and two days post op, able to lift (milk jug weight or less), able to pick things off the floor, I can sleep in bed on my sides. I'm able to do things on my own again.

My husband and I got sleeved together and I worried about taking care of each other. Turned out to not be an issue at all. We stayed in the hospital the day of, and the day after surgery when we needed the most help. After that, it was a non -issue. You need to be moving around to get things for yourself anyway.

I think you can take care of yourself just fine. But if you have pets, children etc., it might be handy to have occasional help with them.

The only thing I needed help with was laundry. Leaning over the machine to pull out the clothes was right at my incision sites so I was unable to do that. Thankfully I had help with that.

Wow! Thank you everyone!

Wow! Thank you everyone!

I hope I don't offend u but change ur name........... Ur not a loser........

Wow! Thank you everyone!

I hope I don't offend u but change ur name........... Ur not a loser........

I am a loser! I'm losing weight!

I am a loser! I'm losing weight!

Lol..... When u say it like that............. I like it

The only real help I needed was bending down to get my laundry out of the machine & carrying anything heavy. Which, honestly, BOTH could've waited until my incision sights felt better. But my husband mopped & that was amazing because he NEVER does stuff like that!!! lol I enjoyed it ;)