Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dumb Question But, How Can You Tell If Your Full?

Great thread!!! The burps, hiccups, or runny nose are real and are likely caused by the irritation of the vagus nerve after the sleeve. I am a runny nose guy. Sometines I even sneeze.

And I have tried to check my references on this and I admit that I am having difficulty in corroborating what I say. But at least I am a runny nose guy when full...

This is my first day back to work post surgery. Tried to eat 3 bites of tuna and immediately got the pain in the throat.... Awful. Gagging reflex type feeling... No way I ate too fast or was full. Hope this isn't a often repeated occurrence.

Hey SpringHill...

Maybe just avoid tuna for a month. We all have "some foods" that seem to cause early issues, but that may get better with time and as you heal!

This is my first day back to work post surgery. Tried to eat 3 bites of tuna and immediately got the pain in the throat.... Awful. Gagging reflex type feeling... No way I ate too fast or was full. Hope this isn't a often repeated occurrence.

Tuna is the only fish I cannot eat...Canned Tuna that is..i think ti is more dense then other fish...for some reason a year+ out I cannot eat pork, beef or tuna....

There will come a time when we really have to take the time to listen to our new stomach. Even before you had surgery your stomach gave you signals that you were full....Watch people around you and you will see some of the signals...One I noticed was when people stop eating and breath deeply... Then they eat more, or they sigh...and then reach for another bite...

I sneeze and burp and I get a runny nose...I really try to stop before that happens though...lol

Identifying the message your body is giving you is the most important part....So half way through my meal I always put my fork down and take a few min. to feel how things are going down there.....Most of the time I don't end up eating more...

As you go along you will find that your sleeve relaxes a bit and you will be able to eat more....Watch out for sliders though, they are not dense foods and so the flap at the bottom of your sleeve does not close and so you can eat much more....

Edited by RJ'S/beginning

Funny thing regarding the tuna... I was able to have tuna salad with no problems as it is less dense, but 3 bites from the chicken of the sea ready to eat tuna pack felt like it got stuck and I couldn't eat anymore and just had to sweat that one out. The minute I eat or drink anything my stomach starts gurgling so I'm definitely listening to it. Have a group outing at work today hopefully they will serve something that won't cause the instant fullness. What are sliders in this forum referring to? When I think of sliders I think White Castle or Krystal lol.

Funny thing regarding the tuna... I was able to have tuna salad with no problems as it is less dense, but 3 bites from the chicken of the sea ready to eat tuna pack felt like it got stuck and I couldn't eat anymore and just had to sweat that one out. The minute I eat or drink anything my stomach starts gurgling so I'm definitely listening to it. Have a group outing at work today hopefully they will serve something that won't cause the instant fullness. What are sliders in this forum referring to? When I think of sliders I think White Castle or Krystal lol.

Sliders are foods that go down easily and are not dense...like tuna is..Sugary things, chips...for me pop corn...french fries...And even some have said that they find nuts their slider...It has to do with that food not being dense enough to close the flap at the bottom of your sleeve so that you can absorb some of the nutrients..They slide right through to your intestines and break down only a little and will cause extra unwanted calories that can interfere with weight loss...If you can eat a lot of something..It's a slider for you.....

Edited by RJ'S/beginning

My stomach makes noises and I burp and I also feel full. But when I'm close to full my stomach gurgles and makes noises, so I know I'm nearing the end of being able to eat

Great thread :) I just started purees yesterday and am still getting to know the various feelings, sounds and pressures my new stomach makes.

I tried tuna with low fat mayo and Water today. I put it all in the blender and was able to eat a fair bit. Yesterday I could only eat 2 tablespoons of blended chicken.

I am two weeks post surgery and have a week to go for soft food. I don't think I have had a full feeling yet. I never had trouble getting my Protein in with shakes or proti Soup. Is rher a big difference in how soon you feel full once you go to softs?

Flap at the bottom of the sleeve? I never heard of this..

Flap at the bottom of the sleeve? I never heard of this..

Here is the answer..K

The stomach is divided into four sections, each of which has different cells and functions. The sections are: 1) Cardiac region, where the contents of the esophagus empty into the stomach, 2) Fundus, formed by the upper curvature of the organ, 3) Body, the main central region, and 4) Pylorus or atrium, the lower section of the organ that facilitates emptying the contents into the small intestine. Two smooth muscle valves, or sphincters, keep the contents of the stomach contained. They are the: 1) Cardiac or esophageal sphincter, dividing the tract above, and 2) Pyloric sphincter, dividing the stomach from the small intestine.

After receiving the bolus (chewed food) the process of peristalsis is started; mixed and churned with gastric juices the bolus is transformed into a semi-liquid substance called chyme. Stomach muscles mix up the food with enzymes and acids to make smaller digestible pieces. The pyloric sphincter, a walnut shaped muscular tube at the stomach outlet, keeps chyme in the stomach until it reaches the right consistency to pass into the small intestine. The food leaves the stomach in small squirts rather than all at once.

<p>When I first had surgery, I burped a lot and knew I was full also I got a feeling in my chest like food was stuck, so that made me stop. Now at the 2 1/2 month mark I just feel stuffed like I did before surgery....but now only consuming a few ounces. I eat slow also, that helps to trigger me being full instead of overeating and getting sick, I've done that too! </p> <p>Strange though I'm never hungry....I have to make myself a schedule and eat!</p>

I'm 6 weeks post op and always hungry :(

I'm 6 weeks post op and always hungry :(

I get like that when I don't make good Protein choices. Try upping the protein or doing straight protein. I lose that feeling when my protein intake is high

Great thread!!! The burps, hiccups, or runny nose are real and are likely caused by the irritation of the vagus nerve after the sleeve. I am a runny nose guy. Sometines I even sneeze.

And I have tried to check my references on this and I admit that I am having difficulty in corroborating what I say. But at least I am a runny nose guy when full...

Long live the runny nose...lol

X