Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slowing Down!

I'm about two and a half months out from the sleeve. I'm mostly have what I consider success. My biggest problem is the AWFUL habit of eating bites that are too large and eating too quickly. I've tried putting the fork down, I've tried cutting foods into smaller bites. I don't know if anyone has any other tips on how they relearned a proper eating pace. Thank you!

I have the same problem, I am 8 weeks out now. I just put out all of the larger plates in my kitchen and now use the saucers! It worked great! Smaller portions and I do not put seconds on my plate until 30 min has passed. Normally I do not want seconds after that- I usually eat ever 3 hours with those portions. I also invested in a nutribullet to add some different smoothies and meals.

I take a bite get up and do something small.. Like I'll go make the bed or put away half the dishes in the washer then go back have a bite and repeat. Idk if that's what I should

Be doing but it works! Also I have an app that I set and it tells me when a minute has passed and I'll

Go back for another bite (:

sigh... All I can say is me too.

I force myself to use the smaller plate and bowls and I measure out everything. I battle eating too big of bites as well, I have gotten into the habit of cutting stuff up to small bites and eating it that way. It takes me about a good hour to get my food down right now. Been working on getting the food down within the 30 minutes they want me too.

I'm 4 years out gastric bypass...this is a RETRAIN YOUR BRAIN activity. It took me literally MONTHS to master this little tiny activity. Same prob in the beginning, we all do. I literally had to sit at my kitchen table in utter silence, and concentrate on CHEWING everything to a pulp..in my case, 15 chews, swallow and wait. Chew, swallow and wait. That's why it takes 30 min. to finish..tedious piece of work it is to. I use to get so frustrated, I had sh*t to do, places to be, calls to make, this activity was the hardest for me. But as in all things difficult, its worth mastering, now its not even a thinking thing, AND when I behave, I get off the table quicker. Hope that helped :)

P.S. There is no quick trick and NO way around the tiny but major activity, master it grasshopper!!

It's harder for me now because I have no trouble swallowing food or Water. It's almost like before surgery except I get really full. I get full on less food when I eat fast, which means I won't meet my Protein goals. So I actually slow down to try to fit more in. It helps to be thinking that way. It also takes longer to eat dense protein so there is a little bit of a righteous glow about knowing I am eating a proper meal instead of a handful of crunchy carbs or easy liquids.