Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey Kim (ok if I call you Kim, I think we are still friends :-) or does the forum still do that? Anyway, if I remember you drink coffee. On the 5:2 is it a problem to use Stevia and almond milk in my coffee? Today is day 2 of 500 cals so, I don't want to blow it but, I do really, really like my cup or three of coffee in the morning.

Thanks

Of course you can call me Kim! Short answer. The almond milk is fine, just count the calories. Long answer, some people seem to not lose weight on the 5:2, and I would suggest to them to try eating no calories for that 18 hour window. Now that being said, I have half a Protein Drink in that window and no problem losing, and one of the two people who wrote the book had Breakfast every morning, so I think the answer is Do it and count it!

Edited by feedyoureye

Fasting on Mondays and Fridays. Easy now that I am back to work and all the holiday goodies have stopped showing up. I have lost the two pounds of holiday gain. YEAH me! The fast days help with the mind control over the carb monster

Awesome, Wanda! I so agree. Ready to get home and back to normal. Well, is there normal? :)

Well, I did it, my 2-day fast for my colonoscopy. (BTW, I passed w flying colors. I don't have to do that again for 10 years.) It was easier than fasts before VSG but harder than I had hoped. I slid right into day three of a pouch test. Now on day 5. On Monday I will begin my 1st official fast of the 5:2 plan. I'm kinda scared. My two days are going to be Monday and Thursday. On the other days I hope to follow the Cornell University Bariatric Eating plan.

I had a rude awaking at the GI clinic. I weighed 136 lbs (dressed) AFTER a 2-day fast and colonoscopy laxative purge. That means that my pre-fast weight was probably over 140. CRAP! That's up 20 lbs from my lowest weight.

I am glad you all are here. I need the moral support.

Well, I did it, my 2-day fast for my colonoscopy. (BTW, I passed w flying colors. I don't have to do that again for 10 years.) It was easier than fasts before VSG but harder than I had hoped. I slid right into day three of a pouch test. Now on day 5. On Monday I will begin my 1st official fast of the 5:2 plan. I'm kinda scared. My two days are going to be Monday and Thursday. On the other days I hope to follow the Cornell University Bariatric Eating plan.

I had a rude awaking at the GI clinic. I weighed 136 lbs (dressed) AFTER a 2-day fast and colonoscopy laxative purge. That means that my pre-fast weight was probably over 140. CRAP! That's up 20 lbs from my lowest weight.

I am glad you all are here. I need the moral support.

Best of luck to you!

Well, I did it, my 2-day fast for my colonoscopy. (BTW, I passed w flying colors. I don't have to do that again for 10 years.) It was easier than fasts before VSG but harder than I had hoped. I slid right into day three of a pouch test. Now on day 5. On Monday I will begin my 1st official fast of the 5:2 plan. I'm kinda scared. My two days are going to be Monday and Thursday. On the other days I hope to follow the Cornell University Bariatric Eating plan. I had a rude awaking at the GI clinic. I weighed 136 lbs (dressed) AFTER a 2-day fast and colonoscopy laxative purge. That means that my pre-fast weight was probably over 140. CRAP! That's up 20 lbs from my lowest weight. I am glad you all are here. I need the moral support.

10 years!! I have to do it every three years!!! And it's due! Lol. I know that feeling of Holy Crap. I gained too and then lost it and lowered from 150 goal to 140. Last week I had a free fall into chocolate land in NOLA so it's 5:2 and normal again starting tomorrow! Good luck. You can do it. It will take discipline and patience to relose so hang in there!!!!!!

Hey Kim (ok if I call you Kim, I think we are still friends :-) or does the forum still do that? Anyway, if I remember you drink coffee. On the 5:2 is it a problem to use Stevia and almond milk in my coffee? Today is day 2 of 500 cals so, I don't want to blow it but, I do really, really like my cup or three of coffee in the morning.

Thanks

Of course you can call me Kim! Short answer. The almond milk is fine, just count the calories. Long answer, some people seem to not lose weight on the 5:2, and I would suggest to them to try eating no calories for that 18 hour window. Now that being said, I have half a Protein drink in that window and no problem losing, and one of the two people who wrote the book had breakfast every morning, so I think the answer is Do it and count it!
Thank you. We will see how it goes, I was mainly thinking about the "sweetener" and if that would impact the loss while on the 5:2. I totally get, make good decisions, and probably would be better if i did not use anything but just curious if you or anyone else had specific encounters with weight loss stall or slow down because of the use of Stevia. I only like Splenda or Stevia (natural) and likely use too much (new addiction is coffee with sugar free Creamer of some sort and Stevia....geez need some head work for sure).

I use stevia...and non dairy creamer now and then too...

Just thought I would report back after the many helpful suggestions earlier this week when I was asking newbie questions as I develop my strategy for the types of food I should be eating on this plan, or rather preclude if there were other alternatives with fewer calories but still cognoscent of the carb count with an emphasis on Protein as much as possible.

I had to wait until I got back to the store to look up many of the things I tend to eat as part of my mainstream eating. Keeping in mind I hate cooking and look for easy/quick meals as much as possible. I did look up most everything today at the store to check the actual labels since I typically remove the packaging upon coming home to conserve on space in the fridge.

The good news is that for the most part all of my choices were really pretty much fine. I buy pretty much the same things from week to week which include Jimmy Bean sausage (comes in sort of a sausage packaging where you make your own patties). 180 calories for a 2 oz patty (cooked), 0 carbs. Generic saltine crackers 35 calories and 11 carbs (carbs are higher than I like but given that's really still pretty good) and that is for 5 crackers, then pepperoni slices 7 slices, 120 calories- 0 carbs, individual cheese slices (generic), 1 slice- 60 calories- 2 carbs, Tilapia fish- 4 oz individual packaged- 100 calories- 0 carbs, I did buy a different kind of butter but there ended up being very little difference, just went to a light version. I found pretty much all the butters to be fairly comparable to each other with calories/ carbs, with the price being the biggest difference. So, you might be wondering where my vegetables are and that's certainly a valid question. Basically the only answer is it's something I need to work on. Oh, and I bought some eggs, MFP said 1 large egg was around 120 calories which surprised me. In the store, all the eggs were around 50 to 60 calories depending on egg size. That was a nice find. And, of course no carbs and 6 grams of protein. :-) I will use the Spanish Gardens for a little flavor in the eggs. Oh, and I bought some bacon, 2 slices was I think 60 or 80 calories (can't remember at the moment) and another 0 carb. The only thing new I bought just really to try something different were some rice cakes. I don't have high expectations that they will become a favorite or super yummy. My favorite snack which might sound weird but considering what my other choices used to be, it's much better. I take either 4 or 8 saltine crackers, 1 piece of cheese that I fold in quarters to fit on each cracker, then I take a whole dill Kosher pickle and slice it vertically- cut in half then placed on top of the cheese square that rests on the individual cracker. So, if I can limit that to 1 time per day or 2 at max, it should be ok.

I know have my BRM and TDEE scores to use as a guide. I have already done one day of fasting and will do another day tomorrow as today wasn't hard.

Thank you everyone for all your help as I get myself situated. Most of this involved paying attention to calories and not just carbs as I have always done previously. Of course it goes without saying I need to stay away from the junk but that's true for all of us. I think from everything I have read on the 5-2 plan that this should make maintenance a little easier. First have to get the re-gain off. I can only hope anyways. :-)

Edited by former_vbg

Just a heads up, the crew here doing the 5;2 don't use their TDEE for the feast day, but a "regular/sleeve" days calories, most being between 1100-1500. Then the 500-550 on fast days. For all I know the regular TDEE may work fine, during holidays I was eating closer to TDEE on some of my party days, and came out the other end ok. Do work on the veggies, that is really stressed in the 5:2 plan. They are big on veggie Soups and such for fast day meals... Have fun and hope it gets things rolling for you again!

some ideas

http://www.pinterest.com/eclectic_gal/5-2-diet-recipes/

Thank you. I wasn't planning on using that many calories. I just meant that it was helpful to know under normal circumstances where I was at. I figured I would be eating between 1,100 to 1,300 on the non-fasting days.

Well, so much for my fasting this past Saturday or any day so far! But the good news is my husband is going to do this with me, so tomorrow we will do the grocery shopping. And then move forward.

I have a question. I'm doing well on the 5-2 plan, have lost 7# in the last 2 weeks. Although, when I started this, I did 2 days of actual fasting to clear out the carbs from my system, then went to the fasting of up to 500 calories for 2 days. Just curious if anyone ever noticed any bounce the next day or two after their fast days.

I always get a loss after my fasts but unlike most people who tend to fast on separate days I fast 2 days in a row because of my fitness schedule.

Yes, I bounce all the time. What will happen is I will see a couple of pound loss, then over the next couple weeks, I usually bounce up and back down a couple of pounds till it sticks. This is normal for me and has been my pattern for losing weight.

That's been my pattern also. Lose a couple during week, bounce up on feast days and then in another few days HOLD that low. I did it all through weight loss with 5:2 and now in maintenance.