Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Im having trouble losing this last 25 lbs and have been thinking of trying the 5:2 diet.

I know many of you have been using this diet as a tool. ive searched the forum and didnt get any hits. isnt there a support group for this topic? I cant find it anymore.

Questions:

Are you currently on this diet? (or have you been?)

What has your experience with it been like?

Any links you can recommend?

What do i need to know?

Here are a few links to check out as a start.

http://thefastdiet.co.uk/

http://the5-2dietbook.com/

http://thefastdiet.co.uk/michael-answers-frequently-asked-questions/

The book itself is a quick read and not really necessary because the diet is very simple and you can read all about it online. I've been doing 5:2 fairly regularly since June, it's very sustainable. I believe I look thinner, but I haven't actually lost weight. There are MANY people who've lost a fair bit of weight on it though, so I think I am an outlier. It's definitely worth giving a try!

I had a small regain this summer and did 5:2 to drop those 5#. I liked it so much I decided to lose another 8. It really fits my lifestyle and feels comfortable. I also increased exercise.

if you are ready for maintenance or looking to lose some regain, I think 5:2 is reasonable. It is actually nice, twice a week, to take a break from thinking about food. There is also ADR, alterntae day fasting, a version of 5:2, which is what I have done because I had some regain AND hadn't gotten to goal yet.

I have been doing it the big benefit for me is. The increased feeling of restriction I get the day after fast day. U don't actually fast u simply cut your normal calories down. Theory there cutting you calories twice a week and your overall calories are down and u should lose weight. I also like the fast days because those are the days I work on my self control I drcree those no snacking days I hve learned to control the night time snack monster by doing 5:2. Gotta also remember to stay on track the days your. Not "fasting". Reading the book or going to the 5:2 site will tell u about the science of it

I read about this, and it suggests dropping calories to 500 for women. This is supposed to be approximately a quarter of your regular day's calories (based on a 2,000 calorie diet).

The question I have is what do you do if your normal calorie day is 1200 or less. Do you still aim for 500, or do you still aim for only a quarter of your regular calories?

I read about this, and it suggests dropping calories to 500 for women. This is supposed to be approximately a quarter of your regular day's calories (based on a 2,000 calorie diet).

The question I have is what do you do if your normal calorie day is 1200 or less. Do you still aim for 500, or do you still aim for only a quarter of your regular calories?

No even though it "suggests" a quarter of your "regular" calories we do NOT go less than 500.

Most of the sleevers who follow this are eating approximately 1,000-1,500 (maybe some do more but most of us are in the 1,200-1,400 range) on a FEED day (i.e. regular day) and then 2 days a week we cut it down to 500 for a FAST day (and a lot of us end up between 500-600 range --sometimes a tad more-- and call it good.)

It's definitely worth trying.

Thanks, Sheila!

See my signature line for my 5:2 loss..... I eat around 12-1500 on feast days (depending on exercise) and 550 or so on the two fast days (mon and ths for me) I had a 22 pound regain, lost 5 of that, started the 5:2 protocal and lost the rest, plus got to goal. I am now maintaining still using the 5:2.... or occasionally 6:1. Its pretty easy to do, theres always tomorrow to eat what you want. It worked for me when it seemed nothing else would.

...start the 5:2 plan (6-11-2013)- 190.9
almost 3 years after surgery First Goal, get to the 160's (11-7-13) 168.7 still on the 5:2!

There is a private 5:2 group. We might entertain a new member or two, but new members must show a commitment to the lifestyle, and show they can get along in a positive way... we are a very close and supportive group.

I don't want to speak for others but for me personally the greatest benefit from 5:2 is what Feed mentioned; the notion that, "hey I can always eat that tomorrow". It is really empowering and comforting and breaks down my relationship with food.

This is/was my answer to finally getting a maintenance program that WORKS for me but more importantly, I lost the approximately 27 pounds I had regained over a year and a half period.

For me, it builds discipline and structure into my lifestyle. And once established, the routine, I feel, aids my sleeve in working much more efficiently.

I started June and dropped the added pounds by October and have continued to lose another 7 or so taking me below my original goal of 150 to about 143. I am reaching for 140 as a target (maybe 139 looks prettier. Ha!) but I am SOOO pleased with this plan of eating and the lifestyle it gives me.

I plan to continue it as a way of life. Hope that helps someone if you are needing an approach to get to goal (vets) or maintain.

Im sure the 5:2 vets will be happy to give support here on this thread if anyone has questions.

This site has a copy of the Eat, Fast, Live longer BBC documentary that started this protocol... excuse the popup adds, annoying, but the doc (50+ minutes long) is so worth watching. This plan is a longevity plan, not a weight loss plan, but weight loss can accompany the practice... which is the kind of company I like! If you start the plan, report here so we can see how your doing!

http://leangainsguide.com/diet/igf-1-and-fasting/

Thanks for all the input. I think I'm gonna give this a try.