Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Headed Down The Wls Path...again.

Well, it's been a while since I've been to the forums. Life happens! Just a little background. I have been a member for 6 years. I did my research on what I wanted for WLS and I chose LapBand. December 30,2011 I had a hectic start to my surgery with my doctor giving me morphine ( which I'm allergic to). Which landed me in the hospital for 2 days, when it was supposed to be an outpatient procedure. I was on 100% oxygen and they had issues getting my heartrate above 40. Fast forward a few months. I had quite a few fills and unfills, never finding that "sweet spot". I kept having issues with food staying stuck in my chest, even puree foods. I felt like a momma bird. There was no slim, it was just chewed up food that hadn't hit the pouch. I literally felt like a momma bird, ready to feed her chicks! I fell off the eat healthy wagon and just tried to manage getting anything down while we relocated jobs and purchased a home. Finally in Sepetember 2013 I couldn't take it anymore... only being able to eat cheat foods. I went to a new doctor in Dallas and said look I'm broken! Fix me! I can't eat the healthy solid foods! I'm living off of empty calories and this isn't what I wanted from Lap-Band! So he scheduled a EDG scope. I was so worried what he would find. what was wrong with my band??

When I woke up he told me that the 10cc band I had was positioned so far up on my esophagus that I wasn't creating a pouch at all. That the food was just sitting in my chest not going down well at all. He also said that since I had a partial plication with my lap-band that about 25% of my stomach is just scar tissue now. You can't exactly undo another surgons sutures with plications. He also said that i had beginning stages of erosion. (wonderful). So he emptied my 10 cc band completely, and it was like a relief. I was able to eat fruits and solid veggies again. I was able to hold down my Protein bars! From sepetember 28th to now, I've dropped 16lbs.

We discussed my options and I chose to have the lap-band removed and go for gastric sleeve. I had my sleep study in October, my stress test Novemeber 15th and they submitted everything to the insurance on the 15th of November. On the 18th the doctors office said insurance called back and said I needed a psych eval and a nutritional appointment. I scrambled but managed to get them scheduled for the 19th and 20th of November. Here we are 5 days later and they called back with approval and surgery date! I go in December 4th for the revision. He is also going to remove the plication which is basically a big ball of scar tissue in my stomach. I'm a little nervous but more worried about being off work again. So far this is my WL journy. I've got from 260lbs to 215 lbs. But it's taken almost 2 years to get that far. I'm hoping to accomplish more this time around. I don't want to be "skinny" I want to be HEALTHY!

Congrats.. You'll be so happy with the sleeve compared to band. In time you'll be able to eat all the healthy foods you weren't able to whie banded.

I just had revision surgery from band to sleeve last week. I had the band 3 1/2 yrs and it slipped 2 years ago. I never knew if I was going to be able to eat or not from day to day. It got much worse about 2 months ago. I couldn't take it any longer. I'm at work today - still weak but functioning. I only took 4 days and the weekend. Good luck to you.

i'm a poker dealer, i'm curious how i'll feel and how soon i'll be able to go back to work. I sit and deal cards, the hardest part i have is I'm short so I may have to stretch to push the money to the player. How do you feel after your surgery? were you able to move around and not be in total pain?

Welcome back! I just recently came back to the boards as well! Im sorry you had so many issues with your band but I'm glad you're getting it fixed! Good luck on your revision surgery!!

I felt as if I never had surgery. It was great. Your job should be fine, but I recommend walking to avoid clots

well i'm 2 weeks out and I feel great! I'm on soft foods now! Yay for real food and not just Protein drinks! I go in today to get my staples removed! Can't wait bc these darn things are itchy!!! i went back to work 9 days after surgery. I handled it well untl someone hugged me a little too hard. *they didnt know i had surgery* so that put be in pain for a while but nothing a few pain pills couldn't fix! I'm already down 27 lbs from pre-op to current. So far no major complications! I just wish I did this sooner!!