Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 Things I Wish I Would've Known Pre Op

I wish I would have known how good I would feel six weeks out. I would have done it long ago. All the trauma of the first few weeks is all worthwhile.

Surgery is scheduled on 12/11, and all the information I've read has been helpful in preparing and planning.

Thank you!

1. I wish I'd known that when my doctor prescribed my Prilosec that even if you aren't feeling any pain right after surgery, you should take it right away. I suffered through about 3 days of pain in my chest every time I swallowed. I thought it was gas, and kept taking Gas X but got no relief. Someone on here asked about if I had been prescribed Prilosec, I took it, and I feel much better

2. That half the stuff I packed I ended up not needing (the hospital was drafty and I was very sore, so I didn't want to take a shower)

3. That I had brought my own blanket (they kept giving me those flimsy hospital blankets and even when I had about five of them, I still felt too cold)

4. That it's normal if you have trouble peeing right away (when I was moved from recovery into my room, I had to pee so badly and I kept straining but couldn't go. I got REALLY scared. Luckily the nurse calmed me down and when I tried again in 10 minutes, I was fine)

So glad I found this...I'm scheduled for the 7th

So glad I found this...I'm scheduled for the 7th

Of January? Im so excited for you! I am still waiting on a date! I am libel to take out an ad in the paper when I finally get a date! Lmbo

I wish I knew that I would have diarrhea for the whole time since surgery because my gall bladder was dysfunctional and that I would still have it even after gall bladder removal .. Still dealing with this but would have done it anyway.

I wish I knew that I have a deformity that makes my hiatus hernia impossible to repair 100% and that I will be on the lowest dose of nexium forever .. But I would have done it anyway.

I wish I knew how much better I would look and feel just 7 months out because I would have done it sooner.

I wish I knew how awesome running and riding my bike would be after losing this weight, I would have done it sooner.

I researched the hell out of this surgery and went into it with my eyes wide open and I don't regret a thing. I haven't had any deal breakers. If I didn't lose any more weight in my life I would still be over the moon.

I wish I knew that I would have diarrhea for the whole time since surgery because my gall bladder was dysfunctional and that I would still have it even after gall bladder removal .. Still dealing with this but would have done it anyway. I wish I knew that I have a deformity that makes my hiatus hernia impossible to repair 100% and that I will be on the lowest dose of nexium forever .. But I would have done it anyway. I wish I knew how much better I would look and feel just 7 months out because I would have done it sooner. I wish I knew how awesome running and riding my bike would be after losing this weight, I would have done it sooner. I researched the hell out of this surgery and went into it with my eyes wide open and I don't regret a thing. I haven't had any deal breakers. If I didn't lose any more weight in my life I would still be over the moon.

I wondered about the gall bladder thing. I had mine removed in '08 and have had horrible dumping syndrome since. I was told it could clear up, but it looks like it could stay the same as well.

I wondered about the gall bladder thing. I had mine removed in '08 and have had horrible dumping syndrome since. I was told it could clear up, but it looks like it could stay the same as well.

It could go either way but at least my butt fits on the toilet seat now!

It could go either way but at least my butt fits on the toilet seat now!

I just thought "I can't wait til my butt fits on the toilet seat".... Made me laugh so hard!!!

By the way you should ask your doctor about bile acid sequestrants. The classic one is called Questran but it is a powder that you dissolve in Water and drink, and I find it hard post-sleeve. You are lucky enough in the US to have some alternatives that are a pill form that would be much easier, but I can't get them in Australia. One is called colesevelam and one is Cholestid. These were all originally used to great cholesterol and the bile acid thing is a side effect.

By the way you should ask your doctor about bile acid sequestrants. The classic one is called Questran but it is a powder that you dissolve in Water and drink, and I find it hard post-sleeve. You are lucky enough in the US to have some alternatives that are a pill form that would be much easier, but I can't get them in Australia. One is called colesevelam and one is Cholestid. These were all originally used to great cholesterol and the bile acid thing is a side effect.

Thank you, I will. I've been dealing with this so long. It has almost become a joke between my friends and I.

From someone only 10 days post-op~

1~ would not have packed a bag at all for the hospital....stayed in the gown & didn't use one single thing.

2~ that I could ask for a certain pain medication. I got Dilaudid and it was a nightmare.

3~ I wish I could have tasted the chewable Calcium supplements that I ordered online....they taste so bad I had to get something else....wasted money

4~ I wish I would have remembered my old "gym mantra" 'Strong Abs = Strong Back' because, people, WEAK ABS = WEAK BACK....I'm surprised at how much my back is aching.

Very interesting read, my surgery's the 17th and I am like a sponge just soaking in the wisdom.

My surgery is a week from tomorrow and I must say that this is an interesting and helpful read. Keep it coming! <3