Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Returning Back To Work

Returning back to work after gastric sleeve -

My dr says 4-6 weeks before going back to work.

It seems like a long time! I don't think I can afford to stay out of work more than 2-3 weeks.

Financially it will not be possible.

I was just wondering how long most people stay out of work and are feeling up to working a full day

I stayed out for 10 days. I went back and felt fine. I sure your time off will depend on what type of work you do. I have an office job.

I work as a dental hygienist in a very busy dental office. I'm on my feel a lot and busy with patients all day. Most of my days are until either 6 pm with one day a 12 hour day.

I'm hoping I can go back within 2 weeks .

I know I'm probably going to be tired and sore.

Anyone else have an advice for me?

You won't need a return to work authorization unless your workplace requires it (very typical if you are on short term disability).

You won't need a return to work authorization unless your workplace requires it (very typical if you are on short term disability).

My employer Wyers a back to work authorization from the doctor unfortunately

Hopefully I can convince my doctor I am well enough to go back after three weeks

I should probably look into getting short-term disability benefits just in case has anyone had to do this?

I'm facing the same dilemma...surgery 1/13/14 MD says 6 weeks...I can only stay out 4 weeks max

I'm facing the same dilemma...surgery 1/13/14 MD says 6 weeks...I can only stay out 4 weeks max

What kind of work do you do?

If it's a desk job with not much bending and lifting maybe they will release to to work after 4,

I work as a hygienist in a very busy dental office.

I'm up and down off of my chair very often, running around the office, lots of bending to clean etc.

I have to somehow convince my dr to allow me to work sooner than 6 weeks!

I won't be able to pay my rent or bills etc.

I live pay to pay, but need this surgery to be healthier.

What kind of work do you do?

If it's a desk job with not much bending and lifting maybe they will release to to work after 4,

I work as a hygienist in a very busy dental office.

I'm up and down off of my chair very often, running around the office, lots of bending to clean etc.

I have to somehow convince my dr to allow me to work sooner than 6 weeks!

I won't be able to pay my rent or bills etc.

I live pay to pay, but need this surgery to be healthier.

Yes...I work a desk job so I pretty much just sit down all day. I like you live paycheck to paycheck so it's going to be tough..my situation is unique...im having my ovaries taken out 12/13/13 by my obgyn, will be out 4 weeks for that then I'm having my gastric sleeve surgery on 1/13/14 so on my day of surgery I would have already been out of work 4 weeks so all I can suffer through is 4 more to make sure I dont go under..I will get short term disability while out but it's not 100% of pay. I am just scared. But I know my surgery will be such a positive change in my life I MUST push through and take care of ME! sidenote: grocery bill will be low for a while I have to do 2 week preop liquid and 4 week post op liquid then 4 week soft/mushie diet. So that's 10 weeks of little of nothing! Best of luck

I was on std for a prior hosp. I got 66%. They didnt take out taxes. Seemed to be the same take home. Best wishes.

Thanks for the info

I'm going to look into getting disability

My grocery bill might be slightly less , I still have kids to buy groceries for

Good luck to you

Thanks for the info I'm going to look into getting disability My grocery bill might be slightly less , I still have kids to buy groceries for Good luck to you

I will be using std for work and including my surgery, I will be out of work for a total of 2 weeks, and I'm going to MX for my surgery.

Thanks for the info I'm going to look into getting disability My grocery bill might be slightly less , I still have kids to buy groceries for Good luck to you

I will be using std for work and including my surgery, I will be out of work for a total of 2 weeks, and I'm going to MX for my surgery.

Good luck to you

I took one week vacation. Had my VSG on a Friday so with both weekends off I went back to work on post op day 10. Had no problems at all other than needing a little nap when I got home. I'm a nurse so I do have a physical job...just made sure I had people to help me do the heavy lifting.

I took one week vacation. Had my VSG on a Friday so with both weekends off I went back to work on post op day 10. Had no problems at all other than needing a little nap when I got home. I'm a nurse so I do have a physical job...just made sure I had people to help me do the heavy lifting.

Thanks for your info on your experience

Very helpful

My only issue is my dr told me 6 weeks post op at home! My employer wanted a drs note of why I would be missing work

In the letter they put 6 weeks recovery

Now my employer says I need a medical release from my dr stating I'm ok to return to work

Now I just have to convince my dr to allow me to work.

In 10 days I have my pre op visit with him

I'll have to see what he says

Thanks!

Lisa