Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So What Do I Order @ A Bar?

Vodka, a splash of cranberry and a lime twist

Vodka and bring your own crystal light?

Malibu and Water with a lemon. Mmmmm. Sounds crazy but tastes oh so good. I was a beer drinker too.... ;/ hopefully by 6-8 months out I can. My g/f had sleeve done and she's 10 months out and puts beer in styro cup and says it helps absorb some of the bubbles!

I can't do beer anymore, carbonation makes me ill. However, Jack Daniels with Water on the rocks works well and is only 65 calories. Sometimes it's a glass of red wine, which I can make last an hour if I sip it, but that's 110 calories and has carbs.

I really have to watch the booze, the calories creep up. I need to limit it to one drink once a week to keep losing. I do like going out with friends to the local watering hole, though.

I am really struggling with this

Trying to watch football in a sports bar wondering how to get a plan ( not sleeved yet.) made. Most of my friends are drinkers. I like the vodka-cran idea.

I used to love beer and I have a job that requires entertaining which means bars and alcohol. I was really concerned about this pre-surgery but what I found out was that nobody really cares what anyone else is doing. We think that everyone is watching us eat / drink but not many people pay attention. They are much more concerned with the plate / drink in front of them. I have gotten Water and someone might say "just water" and I say "yeah not in the mood to drink tonight" and that's the end of it. juice (orange pineapple cranberry) on the rocks is a good option. Note to guys: Don't order juice if your buddies are within earshot, that will catch you more hell than ordering Water.

But back to your original question, Carbonation doesn't agree with me anymore so no beer or soda mix drinks. I'll order a Fireball on rocks or a Black Russian and a water. Drink the water, sip the drink and make it last. I've also found out the hard way that when you are 80# lighter you get hammmmmmmmered quick. Be careful, give your stomach a few months to heal and read about cross addiction before you start drinking again. Aside from that Cheers!

I tried Jack Daniels with about an ounce of Cherry coke...I stirred the holy hell out of it before I drank it, and it went down fine. Now last weekend, I tried a Mikes Hard Cranberry Lemonade and got down a couple sips. I completely forgot it was carbonated. It was the first thing I drank with fizz, and it didn't agree with me well. Im glad that I quit Diet Coke way before surgery, because I surely could not handle that anytime soon.

Wine or tomatoe juice

I usually order a vodka Water with lime.

I also have had bloody mary's which are low on calories but high in sodium.

Lots of bars / restaurants offer "skinny" margaritas as well.

I can't do carbonation of any kind :-(

But back to your original question, Carbonation doesn't agree with me anymore so no beer or soda mix drinks.

There are lots of non-carbonated mixed drinks (I hear ya though, I was a vodka and soda girl myself). Sea breeze, bay breeze, screwdriver, etc. but then you have to deal with sugar from the fruit juices. Wine? Or how about a vodka martini? Or a dirty martini? if you like spicy/savory, the vodka with veggie juice reminds me of a martini drink a friend turned me onto pre-surgery. Ask the bartender if they have any Bloody Mary mix made up. If yes, ask for a dry vodka martini with a heavy splash of Bloody Mary mix. Pre-surgery it would take me at least 30-40 minutes to drink one, I am thinking today it would take me an hour to drink one (and nibble on the olives) and probably knock me on my butt. I had a glass of wine on NYE and was buzzed on 1/2 glass.

If you don't want to drink alcohol but do not want to let onto co-workers/friends that you aren't drinking, just ask the bartender for a small glass of Water or cranberry juice, and put a lime and a stirrer in it. No one will be the wiser.