Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my pre-op with the surgeon today. Good news is I'm on schedule for Dec. 17th and I don't have a pre-op diet, just continue to lose weight. The bad news is that he's trying to convince me to have the bypass due to my kidney disease. I'm Stage IV, but have been stable for 18 yrs. The WLS is to lose weight to come off a lot of my meds and the Nephrologist has no preference, just get the weight off. I'm totally for the sleeve and don't like feeling pressured by the surgeon :-/

Did the surgeon clearly explain to you all the reasons why bypass would be better for you than the sleeve? Are your reasons for preferring the sleeve reasonable in light of the surgeon's concerns? Just wondering if you are being open minded about the medical advice you are receiving.There are so many considerations with WLS and it is hard for most of us to learn and understand them all, even after considerable research.

I can appreciate your having a preference, but hope you are valuing his/her medical expertise and experience which is far greater than your own. Best wishes on your journey!

We had a long discussion about both surgeries in June. I asked him if one was better than the other, he said no, it was a matter of preference. He described it as taking a jet vs. propeller plane to NY... you'll still get there, one will just get you there faster. I am keeping an open mind. He gave me several resources and told me it was my decision, so I did the research and settled on the sleeve. He's been doing this for 40 yrs and basically he prefers the bypass. If he gave me a true medical reason, instead of it being his preference, I might consider it. But he hasn't.

Either way, I hope it helps your kidney disease! I have a number of autoimmune conditions with meds. that make me feel horrible. I too am hopeful the surgery will help matters.

I have a few (what I consider to be minor) autoimmune issues: Hashi's, Vitaligo, etc. I've had to take thyroid meds in the past, but recent blood levels had my doc stop them for a season. Because I know I might have to take meds or more meds down the line for flare-ups or new things, I'm opting for the sleeve. Absorption mainly happens in the intestines, and since the weight loss is similar between the two surgeries, to me it seems more appropriate to keep my intestines fully functioning to assist in medication absorption for other non-weight related conditions that may crop up down the line.

My surgeon also talked to me about RNY, but if I have complications with the sleeve, I can always convert to the RNY. It remains a long-term option. It is my understanding that if I go straight to RNY, I can't switch back to the sleeve. Don't feel pressured by anyone. This is your body and your decision.

if one was better than the other, he said no, it was a matter of preference.

brweyedwoman

please don't be swayed by the docs opinion

he probably is more familiar with bypass

he has the right to his opinion of course, but he did say either way is fine

glad you have been stable with your kidney problems for the past 18 years

you've done your homework, and you wisely decided on the sleeve :)

don't second guess yourself now!!

December 17th will be here before you know it!!! :)

good luck :)

speedy recovery

kathy

Thank you Teachamy, I hope so too. And I hope it helps you as well :-)

Either way, I hope it helps your kidney disease! I have a number of autoimmune conditions with meds. that make me feel horrible. I too am hopeful the surgery will help matters.

I totally agree with you on the absorption issues. I expressed to him that I won't be totally off all meds and I don't want malabsorptive issues, since I still need to take them. I hope the surgery helps you :-)

I have a few (what I consider to be minor) autoimmune issues: Hashi's, Vitaligo, etc. I've had to take thyroid meds in the past, but recent blood levels had my doc stop them for a season. Because I know I might have to take meds or more meds down the line for flare-ups or new things, I'm opting for the sleeve. Absorption mainly happens in the intestines, and since the weight loss is similar between the two surgeries, to me it seems more appropriate to keep my intestines fully functioning to assist in medication absorption for other non-weight related conditions that may crop up down the line.

My surgeon also talked to me about RNY, but if I have complications with the sleeve, I can always convert to the RNY. It remains a long-term option. It is my understanding that if I go straight to RNY, I can't switch back to the sleeve. Don't feel pressured by anyone. This is your body and your decision.

Thank you proudgrammy. I think he's concentrating more on rapid weight loss and not on any of the other issues, like malabsorption. I have a great Nephrologist that takes good care of me, so when he said I had to do something to get off this weight, I didn't question him.... I just made the appointment with the surgeon. I'm excited, but nervous and am very happy with my decision. You're looking good... I hope I have your results :-)

brweyedwoman

please don't be swayed by the docs opinion

he probably is more familiar with bypass

he has the right to his opinion of course, but he did say either way is fine

glad you have been stable with your kidney problems for the past 18 years

you've done your homework, and you wisely decided on the sleeve :)

don't second guess yourself now!!

December 17th will be here before you know it!!! :)

good luck :)

speedy recovery

kathy

That's so weird because my surgeon pretty much told me that the sleeve was my best bet.. I would ask him if there is any special diet you can do to help your kidney get a little healthier before surgery... I am thrilled with the sleeve, although I am only 3 days out... I would push it on him! I don't see how rearranging your intestines would be easier than just cutting out your stomach... The bypass is also malabsorptive (sp?) So I don't see how you could get all of the nutrients you need to stay healthy... Please keep us posted on your progress!! ♥Adam

He didn't give me any special diet...I asked and he said just continue what I'm doing because I'm losing. I'm glad you're happy with your sleeve and I wish you much success. I totally agree with you on the malabsorption. I will definitely keep you posted. Thank you :)

Bypass has a reputation for being faster, but I don't think it is based on modern data. The sleeve was made to have more capacity at first. The sleeve is now 15% of original capacity and u have seen data showing similar speeds of loss. So it's more like two different types of jet plane now. Also, if you need to take meds for your kidneys later, they may not be as effective after bypass, because of the malabsorption. The same goes for some pain medications. I would weight my decision I'm favor of the nephrologist rather than the GP on this one. Know that either way you go, you are likely to have a similar outcome in the long term, as far as weight loss.