Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So, I have gone through every pre-op thing now and I have my surgery date. it is December 18th. I was supposed to lose 20 pounds to get my surgery date and I did. I was on a high Protein semi-liquid diet of Protein Shakes and cottage cheese and 1 healthy choice frozen meal a day. I made my weight. they have scheduled me for surgery and I can't afford the protein shakes anymore. I am currently being garnished so funds are super low. I am glad my insurance is paying for this. But what I am worried about is gaining weight because I don't have the money to stay on this semi liquid protien diet. AND THANKSGIVING IS NEXT WEEK. I am so worried that I will gain weight and they will tell me that I can't have the surgery. What did you guys do to help through the holidays to maintain or lose weight? PLEASE HELP!

It's really important you don't gain weight before surgery because if your liver is too fatty, they can actually cancel the surgery. The purpose of the pre op diet is to shrink the liver so they can safely operate. If they get in there and it's too big, they will close you right back up without a band. Unfortunately, I've seen it happen to others. I'm not trying to freak you out- I'm just being honest.

Keep in mind you're going to be on an all liquid Protein diet for awhile after surgery that you will have to follow regardless of financial means. If I were you, I'd start planning ahead for that cost now so you're not stuck after surgery.

As far as now and Thanksgiving, I would figure out how many calories you're eating a day on the current diet then start tracking your calories so you can remain in the same range through the holidays. This way you won't gain before surgery.

Best wishes.

Good luck with everything. I buy Body Fortress at Walmart it is under $17. Because there is 30 grams of Protein in a scoop it will last a while.

Hi, kassy07! I am also scheduled to get my band on December 18th. For whatever reason, all I have to do for preop is a liquid diet for one week. I think it's great that you are doing what you have to, to get the operation. Are you buying the pre-made shakes? I bought my first few brands to try out today. Apparenlty there must be the kind you make yourself with a powder mix? Like Dylan suggested, they may be cheaper. I will have to check those out too.

dont be terrified of better health and a longer life.....its waiting on you :)

happy holidays

Eating healthy usually does cost more, unfortunately. Is there something else you can cut back on? The pre-made or ready-to-drink shakes tend to cost more than the powder you can mix at home. Just stay focused and remember why you started this journey to begin with. Best wishes to you!

Sending you best wishes as you go forward on this journey of health. Maybe there are less expensive Protein Powder options out there.....I hope yup find what you need. Once banded you'll save lots as the food bills will go way down.

Stay focus and remember why you started this journey. Spend time with your family not with food. I know you can do this! Here is an article that may help you. http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/wellness_articles.asp?id=479 Good Luck!

So I ended up losing 6 more pounds! I have lost a total of 46 pounds :) So definately no chance of surgery being cancelled! I am still a little nervous about the actual surgery happening. Does it hurt really bad? how long did you guys take off work?

I took off about 10 days from work. I wish I had taken the full 2 weeks, because I was pretty tired when I went back to work. I have a desk job but I work long hours and have a long commute to and from the office.

If you have the time take it and take care of yourself. If you don't a week will do it for a desk job, but you will need longer if you have to lift or carry anything heavy.

I wasn't in much pain after surgery, the port was the most tender part for me for a while.

Here are some tips of things to have on hand:

Ice Pops (they help getting the fluids in after surgery and help with internal swelling as well as throat irritation)

Decaf Tea (warm tea helped me with gas pain as well as soothing my stomach and getting fluids in)

Hot Water bottle and/or heating pad (not to be used on wounds, but for under your shoulders or back for gas pain relief)

Gas-Ex or Beano (for obvious reasons)

Ice pack (To place on wound sites to help with swelling and pain. This was awesome for me at the port site)

Tylenol (for pain. I didn't take anything stronger then this)

Best of luck to you and let us know how your doing!